Summoning Mobs/Test server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by silku, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Githy Elder

Good point. How about:-
    1. Cap the number of summoning mobs in the zone
    2. Make all summoning mobs wanderers
    So on the one hand you avoid ending up with just summoners, but on the other hand you can't predict where they are or where they're going.
    You pay attention or you die - and the greedier you get, the riskier it is and the more skill and focus you need. Maybe even increase the damage on druid spells a little to bring average xp gain back up to today's standard.
    Why not reward better play? Make it mean something to push the boundaries. Get your heart going again eh?
    About a month ago I watched a druid streaming himself kiting a herd of snared mobs in Shards Landing - calm and collected, chatting away to his housemates, seemed like he hadn't a care in the world.
    He might as well have been watching tv...hey, tv would probably have evoked more emotion in him.
  2. gubman New Member

Never understood why there should be mobs that dont summon after lvl 51, why exactly casters should have riskless mass exp ways is beyond me, just go group like the rest have to.
  3. malibu66 Elder

I think the same about melee, why should they be able to tank any mob in the game and not worry if they summon or don't? There should be an equal number of mobs - to those that summon - that death touch any player who tries to tank them. Then you would HAVE to kite or root rot them - and that would be awesome fun! Not to mention risk free for the tank class since they just chase a kited mob around hitting its back ... fun, fun, fun.

Of course half the named mobs should share this mechanic - and there should be a good number of them that wander - you know, to keep people's heart pounding!

There are better solutions to zone lag than summoning trash mobs.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Githy Elder

There are actually MORE mobs then those that summon...they're pretty much every White, Yellow or Red mob and they always have been to a solo melee.

I agree there should :). In WK where I sit my box group I get Shoon wandering through every now and then. If I'm slacking he kills someone...or two. But it's a convenient place to sit so if I want to sit there I pay attention or take the consequence.

Same where I used to camp in Fear Threshold - random wanderers would go through every so often, and I either saw them coming and controlled them or hoped expedient recovery was up :D

Risk-free gaming seems pointless. May as well just watch tv and tell yourself you're playing EQ.

Maybe so. But this is the way they've chosen, so probably better to try and point out any flaws and get them fixed before it's too late.
  5. malibu66 Elder

Oh, this is page 20 of a thread that has stopped being read long ago by anyone who matters. The flaws of summoning as a mechanic to stop zone lag has been thrashed over in detail, and has earned a temporary reprieve.
    I fully expect that summoning will be implemented as the solution simply because it carries the least risk for the developers screwing something else up as a side effect. The fact it hurts classes that really have nothing to do with the reason for the change just doesn't matter that much.
  6. Ratbo Peep Augur

I agree 100% that making all classes homogenous is very bad, and the name you came up with is cool. :)
    But we are talking about a certain "type of tactic" that is relevant to a few classes, and (more than not) the same. ie "Beaming". So lets put classes to the back, and talk about beaming up front.
    ie Beaming is beaming - the rest is just semantics.
    I don't advocate (though I would "accept") nerfing as the way to handle mass beaming. I don't advocate it now, and didn't advocate it then when it effected Rangers and Wizards.
    The problem you have now, is that the precedent stands out 5-7 years later. People have long memories when it comes to their class getting hit with a big nerf. And those people are bound to react if the "same problem" isn't handled in the "same manner". ("Why us and not them?"- Is a fairly insurmountable question. Best you can do is tap-dance around it - over and over.)
    But I surely also don't advocate nerfing zones (with summoning mobs) as a way to punish the masses for the acts of the few.
    I still say the best way out of this "catch 22" is to come up with beam kite friendly instances, so you don't have to nerf Mages, or pork entire zones with summoners.
    And now, speaking only as a Ranger - there would be no harm to un-nerfing Wizzies and Rangers if such instances existed.
    -Rat
  7. Ratbo Peep Augur

As pointed out, the key decision maker there is still in place.
    And all the factors that were relevant to mass beaming then, are (or course) relevant to mass beaming now.
    Tough spot to be in - I empathize with you....

-R
  8. Githy Elder

This could (and should) be solved by just slightly better mob AI.

Mass kiting is like a crowd of people chasing a pick-up truck with a guy in the back hosing them down with acid until they finally melt to death.

It doesn't take a genius to figure how that's going to end. It makes even less sense that any random passers-by would see this and rush over to join in this screaming death. If a mob can't catch you after a while (and especially if you're hurting it) it should just try to get away in a random direction.

Even a herd of dumb beasts has the instinct to scatter from danger.
  9. Tarrin Augur

Let's continue that line of thought. Mobs now ignore tanks, and target healers first. Since it would make less sense that they would beat on the same guy over and over as his friend stands 2 feet away and heals him back to full.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Sinestra like this.
  10. Naugrin Augur

You mean like when you are killing a mob in camp and it suddenly realizes that 40 friends are just a hollar away and proceeds to dump them all on the small group of people that are griefing it?

Be careful what you ask for.
  11. Githy Elder

Exactly. That's what the aggro mechanic is supposed to be for. It's a way to let the mob judge who's the top threat

The tank gets taunt - taunt's just a mechanic that simulates him body-blocking, running interference or causing enough damage to divert attention back to him as the current main threat. But when there's no-one else around? Come on.

The example is any pvp-capable mmo out there. Healing classes are still completely relevant because just killing the healer and ignoring the dps and tank is not always the right move. There's that "intelligence" thing again.
  12. Githy Elder

If they are his friends (how many friends do you have in the general population?) then yes (isn't that what linked mobs do already?)

The point is that perceived distance (a holler away) is relative in a game...otherwise we'd have to play in a world where one mob was a mile from the next.
  13. Stubar Augur

I actually LOL'ed at this! As a beast, I do "ok" tanking, however have you ever seen a rogue or a Zerker tank current dark blue, white, yellow or red con MoBs? Obviously not. They can do it, however it's a far cry from what you can accomplish as a kiter...and you do it without a merc sucking up your xp.
  14. Tarrin Augur

I have been in a group with a rogue tanking in Neriak 3rd gate, with me ( a druid ) as a healer, and the group didn't suffer one bit.

Why does it matter if a kiter is kiting DB mobs, if a zerker is tanking lesser mobs and getting more XP via decap?

I have seen people asking for Ranger and Zerker PLs. I have never seen someone say " hey, lets get that druid PL because they slowly kill dark blue mobs to a lvl 100 "
  15. gcubed Augur

Hunh? Taunt is nothing of the kind. Taunt is exactly what the ability's name implies. You say something bad about the mob's mother or impugn its manhood. For the other things you mentioned tanks get /shield, swing hate, etc.
  16. Githy Elder

He's not actually tanking the mobs solo though is he? I'm not saying he should be able to, but the analogy was that a mob should death-touch a solo rogue because a summoning mob effectively death-touches a kiting druid. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that without you healing the mobs would indeed have "death-touched" him ;)

No-one ever asked for a Rogue PL either...or any number of other classes. But I have seen people use their druid to PL low level chars though, which is something Rogue and these other classes also can't do.

Class-envy is non-productive. As non-productive and irrelevant as dragging a Rogue solo tanking current content into the discussion.
  17. Githy Elder

I said taunt "simulates" that mechanic - the mechanic of actively trying to keep aggro. You don't honestly think that sabertooth cares about you impugning its manhood do you?!!!

Do you...?
  18. Stubar Augur

Psst...guess what. Decap got stagnated as did headshot. So when the level cap goes up, you'll still be able to kite.

And I'm not sure how your argument holds merit. You said you've been in a GROUP with a rogue tanking. I've seen wizards tank in a GROUP setting, however we aren't talking about grouping here are we? The whole point of this thread is for people that can't seem to want or get a group. Correct? Somewhere earlier in the thread it was stated that you could get AA much faster than you do kitting 30 MoBs in a good group setting.

So my statement stands, a rogue or zerker with a MERC tanking CURRENT Dblue, white, yellow, or red con MoBs can be done, however it's a far cry from what you can do when you kite.

Edit: this has nothing to do with class envy. I just found it laughable that someone would say that melee can tank anything in the game and not worry about summoning.
  19. Tarrin Augur

I guess I misunderstood "tank" with "solo".

They level cap has not gone up, therefor decap and HS can not be ignored. When the hypothetical happens, we can comment on it then. I am commenting on how things are now.

This has nothing to do with not wanting a group. There are rarely groups available, so therefor I kite. Do I enjoy spending my time in the same few zones over and over? No. Do I enjoy having to avoid things like hunters and old tasks/achieve I am missing? No. I would group every minute if I could.

I wasn't aware I have been showing any class envy at all.
  20. Stubar Augur

Yup, you most certain are entitled to that, however it really had nothing to do with my comments about tanking current content hence my reiteration of the statement.

Someone else mentioned that class envy was peering it's ugly head and I just wanted to clarify that it's definitely not the case so that wasn't directed at you. I try to read all the posts in between when I quote someone and my post to address anything else that may be brought up.