Suggestions to Close the Level Disparity

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Aziuno, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Aziuno Augur

Just like live servers, we are seeing the difficulty for new players to join TLP servers.
    Some people missed the Phinny train (and will eventually happen in Agnaar as well once PoP hits, even with the exp boost), and want to get on board, and start having fun.

The problem they run into, is the age old issue of 95% of the server being max level, and the last 5% being anywhere from levels 1 - 55 ish. (These numbers are off the top of my head, but should be pretty accurate.)

DBG has already developed the resolution to this issue, but in it's current state is too effective at it.. Yes I am talking about Mercenaries.

I think, and would like to see what others think, about this idea of adding Mercenaries to the progression servers, at a specific point, with restrictions tied to them to prevent the power creep that people see them as.

Restriction 1
    You can only use Apprentice Tier 1 Mercs.
    (From Allah)
    Apprentice - on par with single group geared players, on spells and abilities that have a rank, it will have rank 1. It will have HP, Mana, and Endurance on par with characters that do not have the gear to acquire rank 2 spells and abilities.
    Tier 1 - has a ~25% chance to "Lose confidence" in your group based on the number and /con of the mobs being fought. Adds and Crowd control methods will additionally modify this percentage. Once confidence is lost, the mercenary is effectively worthless in a fight, unless crowd control methods come into play, creating a chance for it to regain its confidence.

Restriction 2
    You can only use a Merc from levels 1 until you are within 5 (could be 10) levels of the server cap. At this point, you could not re-new your Merc once it hits it's timer interval. This make their sole purpose to help new players catch up to the population, while not disturbing the end game population by making it easier for people to be anti social... after all, the two servers I am thinking about are the true box servers which strive for player interaction.

My idea of the ideal launch point of these, would be at Planes of Power. This is where a lot of people start investing ALL their time on their main, and you see a lot less people leveling up toons/twinks.

What are peoples thoughts? Would this still be too 'broken' for people to 'Catch up' with?
    I appreciate all thoughts on the matter, but ask that you have a logical response (not emotional response) that nurtures discussion on the topic; or thinks of other ways that will make everyone happy, to close the leveling gap for fresh blood on the servers.
  2. Kujoe Lorekeeper

I was about to trash the idea of merc's, but then i got to your second restriction idea. Preventing merc use at/near the highest level range seems like an interesting idea. I am sure people will still abuse the system though, turning 100% AA on right before merc gets restricted, farming tons of AA with an overpowered merc destroying light blues, then continue to level afterwards.

The problem is that fewer and fewer people are leveling in the lower level range, adding a merc doesn't address the problem but rather gives a solution for the few new people joining the server or the people interested in leveling alt's. A better solution would be to insensitive low level xp grind and activity, rather then provide a crutch to the players in this range.

Perhaps granting a "linage" type buff, which would buff xp gained to alternate char's on your account once you get 1 toon to max, or near max, level. I don't see many "new" people trying out phinny (or any established server/tlp, but rather its the true EQ player who enjoys a fresh alt, gets tired of their main, wants to raid from a different perspective, who supports the lower level population.

Or, maybe there is some kind of quest, which requires you to start a fresh toon, complete some achievement (levels, group targets, classic raid targets, etc.) to unlock some item which could be used for a main. Nothing overpowering of course, a fun illusion, a free stack of XP pots, mounts, etc.

I remember the shroud system being pretty terrible, but perhaps there is a way for xp earned on an alt to be applied to a main's xp bar, or AA xp bar (or reward you with "AA point xp potion" or some such thing). With a system like this, if i have a friend who wants to start on the server, or know a guildie who wants to level up a new main, i could play with them while still feeling like i am advancing my chosen main.

But, any change would take time and would cost money to daybreak, so.. i wager the only thing we will get as servers mature would be increased XP rate and an unlocking of merc's when they normally do.
  3. Aziuno Augur

Thanks for replying Kujoe!

The current symptoms I see is people will actively group from 1-25ish, it then thins out at 25-43, but at 43 or 46 now, people just buy power leveling afk services.

I don't think the services need to be policed or shut down, as that will require manpower... Technically those groups could be seen as disruption of the zone, but that isn't what I am going for on this post..

These services create a vacuum from 46 until 60ish, and the non wallet warriors get exponentially harder to find groups, and gain exp.

I don't know if increasing EXP would amplify the issue or not, as people would be leveling faster to get through it quicker, but it wouldn't really resolve issues with finding a group. The theory behind the mercs is nice as you can have 2 dps group up, and one plops out a healer, and one plops out a tank, now you got a solid foundation and can kill in the 'standard' fashion. You will still strive to fill up the group.

I know it's an ugly situation, and obviously the answer can't be too heavy on development resources.
  4. AgentofChange Augur

You can close the level disparity by leveling.

In my experience, anyone who quits because they couldn't go from 1 - 70 in a month or 2 was never going to make it anyway. So it's not a real loss.
    Fibgirl likes this.
  5. Montag Augur

Super positive, constructive and uber-useful post as always!!
  6. Dumbledorf Lorekeeper

Feeling this on my alt on agnarr already. First two chars raced through levels with abundant groups. Now it's a struggle to find a group. Made it to level 40 at least.. just got to grind out that last bit to be marketable in OS I guess.
  7. Numiko Augur

Enable the recruit a friend bonus on the server!

Doubt it would ever happen as Daybreak would rather get rid of all RoF accounts i'm sure, but hey! never hurts to ask!
  8. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

Me not see that. Me see little babbies with druids or with wiggle fingers or magic drinks until they get old enough to hold a sword. Babbies covered in thorn or flame and stay with their mommies until they 25, fight very strong zombies, grow up very fast. Not like when me was baby, learned to fight safe bears, took many days to grow up! But then they are 25 and go out. Is very hard for them to find friends many times. Grow up very slowly after that, often disappear and never see again. Babbies not totally right in head, only say tings like "28 WIZ LFG LGUK". Not make sense.

Sometimes see them with funny name people. Names come from people in books me read in monkery. About girl with three dragons, crazy! Not proper names like Sephiroe, or Tiklemeprivates. First time me saw, thought it was play, but actors never speak. Sometimes babies grow up in play, but not often. Mostly see babies disappear.

Me think we need to find where people went. Drag them back by hair.
  9. Risikio New Member

This is 100% accurate. You really need to go kill mobs and exp and you will level. Ideally, you will damage the mob until its hit points are zero or less. You will want to do this as often and as quickly as possible. There are many ways of going about this.

Grouping - you and some other adventurers will join in on the killing. This is optimal for exp. I know 100% the best group make up and the best zones, ask me anytime. Any other advice you get is nonsense.

Soloing - you kill the mob(s) solo, or by yourself. You will not have a group. This is not optimal exp. Anyone that tells you this is purposely trying to deceive you and is most likely a forum 'troll'. Avoid these people at all costs. I have the best advice, please default to me.

Raiding - though you get exp, this is mostly for gaining items. We can discuss this later, I have the best info on this also.

Please divulge the following information and I will give you a leveling plan that includes times to play, where to go, what mobs to kill along with inspirational quotes when you need them most!

What lvl are you and what class?
    Please make me a chart showing your playtimes for the next few weeks, I need this to be as accurate as possible.
    DONT LISTEN TO THE TROLLS AND DONT BUY ANYTHING WITH KRONO
  10. Aziuno Augur

AgentOfChange and OgreMonk have points.

If you just keep plowing through it, you don't need any of these tools, and if you can't muster up the power to plow through it, are you going to last in end game Phinny? (although I think end game gets easier truthfully on this server)

Ogre Monks point of being rushed 1-25 and then being picky on what zone you do and also not having any skills developed along with going from the 'Super fast leveling, then hitting that wall and slowing down' probably does deter some from continuing.

I guess I see these both as points to implement something like this...

In Agent's situation, it will add more encouragement to continue the grind when things slow down and you don't have groups

In Ogre monks situation, once that coddling/pl ends, you have a strong crutch to lean on as you get your Evocation/alteration / wep skills from 25 that it's at, to 150 or whatever. It also allows you to go to that certain zone you want and maybe work your way in... Granted, i don't think a 28wiz+warrior merc will do too well in Lower guk alone, finding a 2nd 28 wiz+healer merc could do ok at ent and work their way in. (only problem is no snare yet, as Atols is 38ish?, but they got root.)

And-- @Risko, I am a 70 Rogue with 915 AA's.
    I am thinking for fresh blood to the servers, not myself.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

All you are doing is feeding him. When you feed him, he powers up.
  12. OliverQ Elder

I've noticed this problem too on Phinny. Tried to level my Ranger and Cleric (mid 40s - mid-50s) and groups just barely exist. Usually sit LFG for over an hour, send messages, etc. but no luck. It is really hard to catch up below 60 on Phinny.
  13. Risikio New Member

Hello Azuino

Are you on the Phinigel server? If you are, level 70 is the max level. You will not need to gain any additional levels for approximately 8 months. There are some things you can do to gain more power on your rogue:

1 - Get more AAs - These are like the 'levels after levels' and can greatly increase your power level. I'd recommend getting as many AAs as you can. Again, group killing is the best route for this.
    2 - Join a Guild - Guilds are a great resource. People join groups of like minded individuals with a common goal of increasing the power level of their characters. Guild are great for grouping and raiding (more on this to come)
    3 - Raid - Raids are "groups of groups". When one group isn't enough, you must bring a raid. These raids can yield some of the best gear in the game.
    4 - Questing - Questing can yield experience, faction, gear, and more. On progression servers, most exp quest have been nerfed (weakened) so you may want to avoid these. The items available from quests can be quite powerful. You should check out the Epic Quests!

Things you should not do:
    Buy things from farmers. This needs to STOP. They are ruining the server.
  14. Aziuno Augur

Risikio,

Thank you for following my request on keeping replies Logical and not emotional, I appreciate it.
    You and I both know that your trolling comments aren't really producing value to the debate at hand and instead are just belittling my ability to play the game. While I can appreciate your whit, I request that your future comments be based at the idea that was proposed and not providing me advice on how to get good.

Thanks,
    Aziuno
  15. Machentoo Augur

Mercs are completely overpowered level 1-60. They would need to seriously adjust them in power before introducing them onto TLP's. A level 60 tank merc can put out 300 dps and tank 4 red mobs at once without taking any damage. A 60 merc can tank better than a level 65 time geared tank. You can imagine what would happen.
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

The issue I see with these suggestions is that they require work from DBG but don't increase profits (you are already subscribed), and it diverts from their existing strategy: releasing an expansion once a year and then releasing a cash-grab re-run server about 6 months later. They chase the money, and the "Agnarr new player" market and "Agnarr alt" market probably are not on their radar.

They are not even thinking about how to keep you and your alts interested on Agnarr. They are thinking about how to sell you the new expansion and how to sell the next interim, cash-grab, re-run server (due spring of 2018).
    Genoane likes this.
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I think your mercenary ideas will probably need to wait for one of those interim server releases. I'd be interested in playing on a server that allowed mercs, if everybody could have their own /pickzone. Can you imagine how over-populated and over-camped everything would be on a new server with mercs, under today's /pickzone rules?

And yeah...currently, a warrior merc can take you to level 60 without you ever doing more than pulling mobs. That's what Live servers are for!
  18. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I FINALLY figured out why most of your posts rub me the wrong way...You talk to people like they are idiots.

Take this post as an example. Do you honestly think anyone on these boards doesn't know what AAs are? Or what a RAID is? Get your head out of your a**. You post nonsense 99.9% of the time. You have ZERO right to belittle ANYTHING anyone else posts.
    Genoane likes this.
  19. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

Me think Aziuno miss point. Maybes on purpose, ogre not sure. Me think human pet good idea. Good to bring snack in case lost in swamp. Trolls are bad snack. Not sure why me not allowed to has human pet. Hear some not like humans pet. Me think they not right in head, or selling something. Me think latter.

Human pet is snack though, snack not all the time. Healthy ogre need balance meal, gnomes and elfies and dorfs. Need full plate and balance diet. Snack should not take place of balance diet, teacher said so. But human pet is fine for sometimes.

Not sure what dis mean. Me sees wolves. Me sees karana housecats. Me sees rats. Wolves hunt in packs, take down big elephants, very powerful. But always hunting, always need to find bigger elephant with tougher hide to wear. Not so many wolves, but always there, always hunting.

Most are karana housecat. They eat spider, they eat gnoll. Sometimes find big gnoll and hunt together and beat him. They take dead gnoll sword and grab sword in mouth and swing it, show off to other karana housecat. Sometime even think they can beat mammoth. They fight, the lose. They not despair, just wait until new gnoll with better sword appears. One day they win. Karana housecat not like wolf. Do not spend all day hunting, most of day cannot be seen, must be making more karana housecat. Disappear for long time, mostly after get gnoll sword. They not want to spend day hunting. They just want to grow up to be big fat cat, and take out gnoll and sometimes beat mammoth. Need help grow up sometimes or starve to death. But do grow up, and do hunt.

Then there are rats, they all over, they come they go. They do rat things, but do not live long. Do not hunt, do not make sense. Me not worry much about rats, not many rats after karana housecat grow up.

Karana housecat benefit from human pet most. Need encourage to find balance diet but must sometimes eat snack. Wolves not understand.
  20. Aziuno Augur

I will admit, it has been along time since I have used the Merc's on live and I should have tested this before posting... And noone uses Apprentice Mercs when you have Journeyman available or better.

Did you read my restriction #1? "You can only use Apprentice Tier 1 Mercs."
    Wouldn't this resolve most of the over powered of the Merc's 1-60? As a red con would cause them to run away, or am I overlooking part of it?

I guess I didn't think of it from DBG point of view, the return on investment would be minimial as most people coming back to the game would try Angaar, and probably by the time Agnaar hits PoP, there will be a new place for new people to go (if not Live with F2P to try it out).. so this point may be the end of the conversation as a whole sadly.

Again it has been awhile since I leveled 1-60 on live with a merc, and never used Apprentice Tier 1. I don't think that you would need your own pickzone, but ignorance may be bliss? on my part.

Ideally, the Merc would count toward the player count for new picks. (Group still max at 6 players, so if you are at 6 and grouped, you can't pop out a merc to try to spawn a new instance, and if you do it oog and spawn a new instance, as soon as you regroup and he goes away, it would lock and give you only 15mins.