Suggestion: Necro DoT slot limit on mobs/more spell slots available

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Artemis-Entreri, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Artemis-Entreri Augur

Currently you cast/mem 12+ Dots on a mob... but what if you only had to mem 6 spells to get the same effect? More folks in raids could drop their own debuffs/dots. More spell slots available for Necro's utility, or whatnot... Sounds good huh? But how??

The idea is this... Powering up your spells (DoT's).

1.) You cast your DoT like you normally do. This applies the DoT to the mob, along with a (Tag)
    2.) This (Tag) is there to identify if the same DoT is cast again on the mob to do a (Secondary effect)
    3.) This (Secondary effect) just doubles the base damage of the DoT (basically as if 2 dots were running on the mob x2 damage)
    4.) So in this way you are dealing the damage of 12 DoTs running on the mob, but only having to mem 6 spells, and only taking up 6 debuff slots on the mob.
    5.) Mobs would have a limit of 6 tags per characters (Necromancers would be the only class that would receive these tags to their dots, as really no other class is quite like us, and don't need this kinda treatment).
    6.) This would leave us with more spell slots, would get rid of the need to swap spell sets mid fight. Less headache/busy gameplay, I think it's a win win situation.

Obvious things that come to mind is that spell damage may need to be retuned slightly. Is a suggestion like this even possible from a Developers standpoint to enable in game?

Anything listed here crazy, or flawed? Did I overlook something that should be obvious making this suggestion just bunk? Input please...
  2. Artemis-Entreri Augur

P.S. Just in case someone comes along an says...

Q.) What stops a Necro from just casting more DoT's after powering up the initial 6?
    A.) Tags, all Necro DoT's have these tags, and all mobs would have a limit of 6 tags. So you couldn't just drop a 7th, 8th, ect... DoT on the mob, it just simply wouldn't land. This makes it impossible to be abused.
  3. Artemis-Entreri Augur

This could also help us in the group game ala swift dots. Where we currently suffer if the group kills mobs too quickly. Powered up swift dots could help even the playing field where we cannot field enough damage quickly enough compared to other burst players.
  4. Brosa Augur

I am no necro but this sounds more complicated then it needs to be. I have a shaman and I know a few of his dots trigger a large dot when they fade. Once the secondary triggered dot activates I can recast the initial dot again. Hence getting multiple dots going from one cast. I do not know if some necro dots have this function but that seems more practical for necros.
    Marton and Loratex like this.
  5. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

You are under the impression the devs actually care if we are on the same level/better when they alter something.

The idea is interesting but now you are limiting necros to 6 dots
    2ndly when you cast a dot with gift of deathly resolve running you have a 100 percent chance to twincast that dot. So with this in theory you will essentially be quad casting pyre of marnek... I can assure you they would never let that happen.
    Most necros cast over 14 dots because they want the most dps possible. Not because they want to. Limiting them to 6 would make them angry.
  6. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

We may be forced to use some of our lesser damage dots soon (disease line) this is a pretty good idea we may try and snag from you.
  7. Jebasiz Journeyman

Or..they could just extend the dot debuff cap to like 250..500 or more. It's not just impacting necromancers, it's effecting nearly everyone. It's also crap that we're the only dps class that does not stack with ourselves over 3, due to limit that was defined a decade ago. They have time to nerf..err ahem, fix our epic, but not make our game play or the game play of nearly everyone else better, with this seemingly "simple" fix.
  8. Tobynn Augur

Yeah, because if the mobs had 500 debuff slots no one would ever stick a few groups of necros in a raid and just obliterate everything. Never happen!
    fransisco likes this.
  9. Jebasiz Journeyman

Really? Groups of necros? From where? We don't appear out of magic.

Wizards and monks routinely out dps necros btw. They stack infinitely in a raid setting. I really don't see a difference why it's ok to have 10 wizards but not 4 necros.
  10. Tobynn Augur

They would appear like magic if the casting restrictions were suddenly removed, trust that.
  11. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

No they wouldn't. If people realized an I mean actually realized the work we (the higher dps necros) actually out in to each 54 second time frame, and I'm not just referring to dropping 18 dots just to stay proximity to the others dps then no one would play necros.
    Bobsmith likes this.
  12. Tobynn Augur

Keep tellin yourself that.
  13. guado Augur

As a Raid Druid... being told to not do my job (debuff) due to several necros in a raid is RIDICULOUS! Remove the cap or triple it for Tunare's sake! ABSOLUTELY APPALLED! and I can't IMAGINE the stress it is putting on a good raiding necromancer.
  14. brian0729 Journeyman

I just did a very very rough count as I am not in front of EQ atm. In a 60 second burn I click 22 different things, yes 22 different aa, spells or discs. And a total of 30 or so clicks (only difference is that i do use the same nuke a couple of times, four or five during the time frame in that 60 second time frame. Not saying I am cool by any stretch just saying necro's dont macro or autofire. If I miss one or two or time them wrong, my dps drops dramatically. So yeah, Lora has it correct, people want to do great dps but the time put in setting up sets, parsing and educating is done by very very few and a 500 debuff slots would not change that. You can keep telling yourself it will though, have at it.

P. S. Two things:
    1. I hate the OP idea
    2. Sorry i bumped this ancient thread, had no idea it was months old.
  15. guado Augur

I also bumped it since this is greatly impairing raid strategy today.

1) Is the current maximum debuff/buff slots for an NPC the original value set?
    2) What was the original amount / how has it changed since launch?
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

1) Maybe(?) and No. NPCs still have the original(?) 55 debuff slots, but they have an additional 42 buff slots, (just like players), for a total of 97.
    2) It goes up anytime they add more buff slots for players, so when we had 25 buff slots, it was 80. When we got 5 more, it was 85. Etc. We currently have 42 slots, (you can't actually -get- 42 slots currently, but the code exists for up to 42 slots).
  17. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

Basically any guild using 5 necros on raids is forcing those necros to do less then potential damage due to dot limit restrictions. However 5 necros over all do more damage then 3 (3necros is where the dot number becomes smaller).
  18. guado Augur

How is this not driving Raid Necros INSANE!? I'm a Druid, and I think it's terrible, and I'm just complaining about being able to do my job and fully debuff a boss. Screw it, I'll just nuke instead of debuff.
  19. Khazeck New Member

I am in a raid guild that has 5 necros... only one ever makes the parses the other 4... not sure what they are doing, but it isn't damage, because even we are all crowded together they are way low on the parse. So I agree necros do not grow on trees, at least the ones who do the type of damage everyone seems to be worried about. And find it unlikely that if the npc's buff slots suddenly increased to infinite, there would be an explosion of necros filling raid slots.
  20. Dalmoth Journeyman

I'd rather see a system where dots deal damage based upon the counters applied. It would require an overhaul of the counter curing system as well as other aspects of dots on players but having a single debuff per resist per player would be a better system, so your 2 poison dots stack with each other to apply their additive damage and then lock out the lower level spells of the same type so they can't be applied as well. That allows for proper scaling of the higher level spells without the worry of stacking old spells. Lessens the number of slots needed to reach maximum efficiency and allows other classes to use their debuffs as well.

BUT all this assumes they wish to correct the status quo and that I think is the crux of the problem, I think they have determined that a set limit of debuffs is something they want to maintain.