Suggested AA and Combat/Buff Spell loads for Heroic toons

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Pirouette Augur

Glad I could help Quatr...and thanks a ton for the Warrior info Revulsion. Even the smallest tip helps me! :p

I know nobody asked, but here's some stuff for bards:
    I linked the second thread directly to my contribution but if you plan on bard pulling do read the entire thread, so many people there contributed some great information of which I didn't even know at the time.

Melody is generally haste (warmarch)/overhaste (aria)/proc song (3 of these)/regen song (later you can choose between pulse of salarra and the more updated regen--pulse of salarra is the only bone bards get for end regen)/AC (spry sonata). Keep up overhaste aura if you have any melee, you can do mana aura instead otherwise. Overhaste aria should almost always be in your melody regardless--they give slightly different effects.

Aria adds better spell damage, more triple attack chance, better pet flurry chance; but aura adds better player flurry chance. And lastly, the Aura can be replaced with 'Echo' so it stays on your group while you're pulling--if your group moves around a lot don't use echo.

There are 3 proc songs, (1) is Arcane which procs on both spells and melee, and great for a bard's personal dps (2) is a melee only proc that does more damage than Arcane and doesn't cause aggro (3) is a hate proc with a significant AC portion and decent damage, if your tank is having trouble tanking swap out to this (it can help him hold aggro if he's having trouble with casters pulling, not gonna help much with wiz mercs on burn you need to turn wiz mercs to balanced; the fact that hate proc hits melee dps too is inconsequential, tanks have more than enough aggro abilities to hold--I usually use it primarily for the AC boost)

Additionally I also keep my Insult nuke, AOE mez, single-target mez, charm, mana bomb (crescendo--it adds a self buff which PBAE explodes a bit of mana/hp to your group when it runs out of time), song of highsun (think it's under shadowsteps or transportation), and slow (Requiem of Time) also memorized or swapped on an easily accessible spellset. DO NOT add things to your 'main melody' that require a target because your melody will stop if you don't have a target. Even though I 3box, I manually manage mez and nukes but I do have a melody for DoTs when I'm soloing (they are not worth using or keeping mem'd in a group unless you're in a kite group). When I wasn't boxing I took my time to set up like a million melody macros for different situations (I used to have a 1-mez 2-mez 3-mez and 4-mez macro before 85 when you get AOE mez, that was especially useful in the basement of Ssraeshza Temple lol!)

Bards can make a use out of almost their entire arsenal but anything not listed here (and some that is listed here) is situational. Bards should adapt to their group makeup but the melody suggestion I gave generally works.

I may edit this later for more information but have to go for now, my main is bard so message me in game on Tunare (Turbulence) if you still need some help :)
  2. Pirouette Augur

Thank you so much for this. The only thing that I'm still confused on is Timer 9. Seems like we have the option of Maelstrom Blade, Knuckle Crush, and Throat Jab. Throat Jab is obviously situational, but Maelstrom Blade and Knuckle Crush seem to both be important as a group tank. Should I be relying on Maelstrom Blade for AOE aggro or should I be relying on other methods and utilize the 5% debuff from Knuckle Crush?

I'm switching from my SK so I'm pretty used to the plethora of AE aggro they get but Warriors seem to be having trouble in this department (or I'm not playing right). I decided to change it up some and started using /marknpc on a macro, tab to the add and bazu bluster it, then switch back to main target (/marknpc 1) rely on Scorpion poison procs (bought in baz) + Jeer or Shield Topple (seems like shield topple is better when you get low, Jeer is for aggro). I save Maelstrom Blade/Knuckle Crush for the third add. So far I am doing okay, but I haven't had to deal with people who split focus (yet) so it works pretty well. (Note: No CC in group, running mage/mage/cler/war and my friend is monk)

I'm worried that my methods might not be the best and it really matters when grouping with heroics since they don't give anyone spellcasting subtlety. So Tanking has really been a challenge (But one I enjoy).
  3. Pirouette Augur

I forgot to mention Stunning Kick, Eye Gouge, Crippling Strike (derp derp derp). These all 3 share a cooldown. Kick is best DPS due to synergy, use Crippling Strike for snare and I honestly never use Eye Gouge but it gives an ATK debuff that lasts ~2 ticks so it could be useful while soloing (honestly the stun probably mitigates more damage and killing things faster means taking less damage)

This is another ability you can multibind but I prefer not to, if I need my snare I'd rather not have to sacrifice DPS to make sure I don't accidentally hit the multibind.
  4. Ataleimas New Member

[quote="Pirouette, post: 3066405, member: 2420"]I'm still getting my monk's DPS rotation right so I might not have this 100% correct...but here's what I can tell you to help at 85 (and keep in mind that I don't raid):
    Flying Kick and Tiger Claw are on separate timers now, so you'll want to use both. Most people just multibind FK and Tiger's Claw. You can keep dragon punch/tail rake hotkeyed somewhere to combo with the Dragon Punch AA for knockback, but it's not really a DPS option. It's just a "I need to move stuff" option, and that AA is on a 10 minute cd. Moving Mountains/Grappling Strike will mostly negate the need for that.
    ---Make a hotkey for /stopdisc. Monks are endurance chugging machines, you should not be running a discipline if you're not using it.
    0- This is just an aura slot, keep Master's Aura up whenever possible.
    1- Impenetrable is an amazing disc, you will always want a button for this and Whirlwind. Whirlwind makes you take 0 melee damage from front (you riposte everything) but Impenetrable can block spells + melee.
    2- Crystalpalm is an all skills damage mod, meaning it's great with haste/overhaste/hundred hands
    3- Scaledfist Increases special attacks, later you'll get Ironfist, but it's only real use is to make Crane Stance (which you'll get at 93) hit harder--other than that, it's on the low end of your DPS totem pole
    4- Hotkey Moment of Placidity + Dreamwalk. Moment (later called 'XX Breaths') will burst restore endurance, Dreamwalk just makes you run faster (I use it in PoK all the time since it never expires there)
    5- Heel is your best DPS line, it lets you use flying kick more (read: reduces the cooldown) just make sure you're keeping up Calanin's Synergy and mashing FK to get the use out of it.
    6- Counterforce has a chance to slow things that are hitting you. If you are being hit and need a defensive cooldown, Counterforce is the last thing you want hogging your disc space. Echo of Distraction on the other hand will be your pulling tool, it's a short AOE mez that can only be used outside of combat (think of it as an instant cast pacify-and-grab). When you use it mobs will stay on your extended target for a few seconds, don't freak, when the mez fades so will their aggro with you.
    7- Defer Death - Defensive cooldown that lets you take more punishment in the purple before you actually die, and makes you regen rapidly. I believe it has a shorter cooldown than impen/whirlwind.
    8- Calanin's Synergy hits pretty hard and leaves a debuff that makes Flying Kick hit harder, use this and ignore XX-Step Pattern
    9- Flinch: Another Defensive cooldown. Don't use it unless the thing that's hitting you is going to die in 12 seconds, or else you're going to start taking more damage. Phantom Apparition - Single Target Mez, sometimes this can be more reliable than Echo so keep both up (Yes they are on different timers but require you to be out of combat).
    10- Speed Focus = Hundred Hands Effect, which (to put it very simply) is a haste that stacks with all haste except other HH effects. I like to use this with Infusion of Thunder (An AA similar to crystalpalm in that it increases all skills)
    11- Punch Through is meh. It shares a cooldown with your defensive disc and doesn't add enough damage to be worth the endurance. Use it only if you're outpacing your group in terms of resources (your group goes oom before you go ooe). On the other hand, you'll get Void/Veiled Body later which is your longest defensive disc (10 minutes!). Obviously this blocks you from doing more DPS, but if you're tanking things you can barely keep up with more DPS = more ripostes = more damage to you (also, tank with a 2hander--Staff Block is an amazing AA). But keep its reuse timer in mind and the fact that you have other better, but shorter defensive options (Impenetrable/whirlwind/defer death).
    12- 4th wind: Restores Endurance over time. At 86 you'll get Respite which can only be used while under 20% endurance, has a short cooldown and regenerates endurance more rapidly, but caps your endurance gain at 20% and puts 4th wind on cooldown.
    13- Crane Stance at 93 - Two flying kick bombs. Always use with ironfist and after synergy for maximum damage. It is the highest/fastest burst tool you will ever get.
    14- Vigorous Shuriken is your pulling tool if you don't have real shurikens, but you will get Distant Strike later to replace it. If you are pulling with VS, you can't use Drunken Monkey Style which is something you should be keeping up to maximize DPS (if you need to sustain end which you probably will, try to only pop it before discs)
    15- You get these later, but Tiger's Balance synergizes with Two-Finger Wasp Touch for better dps than Eagle's Balance (or so I hear)...otherwise Eagle's Balance is better DPS on its own
    16- This timer is a little out of date, we have a 3rd ability on here too: Phantom Partisan, which is an upgrade to Cloud of Fists. I'm not sure where Zalikor's Fang fits in here, but I heard Partisan is better due to shorter reuse...
    17- More defensives you get later. Shaded Step increases your dodge chance massively for 18 seconds, Swift Reflexes on the other hand blocks several attacks. Not really sure on the discrepancy, I would guess Swift Reflexes is better for raiding. Eye of the Storm (skills modifier) is a long duration DPS cooldown sharing a timer with defensives, but you can keep it up quite often. Still, use with discretion.
    18- Both of these are just Zomm eyeballs you can explore with safely.
    Zan Fi's Whistle (can't remember what level you get this but it's an AA)- Another skills modifier, but this lasts long enough that you don't really need to worry about stacking issues, just use it when it comes up
    Infusion of Thunder Longer reuse skills modifier + proc, keep stacking issues in mind
    This thread is the best I've found regarding stacking issues: http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38213
    Found this one too while researching that might be helpful to you: https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/monk-questions.201100/
    There is a lot of information out for monks and for pretty much any class, you just have to look for it. Searching these forums and class-specific forums is a good way to go, just keep dates in mind--Monks in particular have received huge upgrades and changed up their DPS rotations in the past year.
    I probably haven't helped much with the 'overwhelming' department, monks have a lot going on because they are a versatile class (good survivability, great puller, great dps). If you want a simple tip, just stick with Heel+Synergy+Flying Kick and figure out the rest as you go.[/quote]
    Bumping this info up and extending a great many Thx for all this info.

My heroic is Monk and probably staying that way, jumping back into game after many years and starting out as a [ding] 85 is like saying lost is a understatement.
    Like to add to the thread by saying it correct and players can argue about how someone should start at level 1 all day but the fact is, the game has changed so much that statement could be said for anyone gone for more than 1year + and the information i found in this thread IS the needed info for the Monk.
    suggest opening your combat abilities window (alt+c?), press S, then click "Timer" so your disc or
    Best way i got through navigating the abilities was (right-click) one of the 8 buttons shown on the Combat Abilities window, which is the (alt+c) keybind
    Once you right-click and hold the button you will see a list (for monk mind you) i imagine every class has a timer category list, and this is found right-clicking and holding down the mouse button NOT pressing S.
    Pressing S and trying to figure out all the timers and whats new and whats better and what should be used is a long painful process,
    *NOTE: The pre-made toolbar the game gives you after purchase and creation of heroic character is junk, there is so much missing and doesn't even fill 2 hotbars and adds hotkeys like Origin and Find.... all i need to say about that.
    List should be
    [IMG]

If you look and see Disciplines is listed with a sub cat of 9 timers for it and the /disc for each timer all nicely organized and by level when you scroll over them.
    What this menu dosnt have.....

Press (i) for inventory click Alternate Adv.ancment Tab at bottom.

You will see 4 tabs...

This isnt a guide to fully setup your monk, its more like we got to find the buttons first.

Make at least 6 hotbars if you have not already, that should be enough space and this allow to start placing AFTER you filled as many of them as you could with the top 2 Combat Abilities... eer back to the (i tab)

Click the 3rd tab labled CLASS

start reading and clicking each one MAKING a hot key for every hot-keyable ability on that page and fill your hotbars, this will allow you later

to sift through all of what you have been given upto the Heroic creation of the character.

Pain in the you-know-what, but worth it because,

After doing this you will be able to research each one and read the buttons on your screen typing the correct spelling of each one for tied-in key bund / hotkeys. that will allow you to chain together at most 5 /disc or /alt act (alternate actions) mixing the 2 together into final keys that will allow you to finally play this game correctly at the same time learning what they are doing.

Which /disc or /alt act to tie together is on you.. sorry i can not say which ones will be best or if whats being said as best is true to all situations, thats the learning curve every player will have to face but,

Hands down i had to write this info into this thread because the UI by god is messy and in no way a player will know what to look for unless they played from level 1
    AT THE TIME OF UI RELEASE even then i don't know, i can only imagine the greif a UI over-haul like this caused, hope this helps. :)
  5. Crystilla Augur

Thanks for bumping the thread because I realized I never came back here to list the link I'd made for Heroic Characters. I used one of mine to make a heroic cleric (since so much has changed since I was level 85 that I want to re-experience it as new heroic clerics do today). Hopefully do want to get back to adding more but things like spell sets, etc. are in here along with a bunch of other things.

Heroic Cleric Guide