subbed and have to solo regularly with merc

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Plv2009, May 3, 2020.

1. Plv2009 New Member

So I subbed to eq a few weeks ago and I think I get most of the basics now. Have got a ranger to 67 with some 20 level pl and am trying to figure out what I wanna play for my heroic character. I tried all the classes on the heroic server and only liked warrior and beastlord, but i think that may be because I don't know how the classes really work when you start with 100+ spells and abilities. I have enjoyed the first 18 lvls of enc besides my mes constantly getting turned off. Ranger is ok, but I'm not big on kiting.
    My issue is my work schedule is flipped since I work nights. I would like to raid in the near future (even doing old raids), but a lot of the time I'll only be able to play with a mercenary. Suggestions? Typically I play classes in mmos in an unconventional way like melee with healers in eq2. I understand eq doesn't really allow the same solo friendliness as most current mmos, so I'm trying to understand what wouldn't be a huge let down.
    I know berserker isn't for me and I'm not big on just healing all the time. I thought bard would be a good one since I could be useful to a raid while still being new, but from what I understand they kite a lot as well. The pet classes are ok, but again, I think they have to kite some.
  2. Zinth Augur

if you are subbed go to the Miragul server, all chars start at 85 there (heroic) then you can test them and use your heroic on whatever server you want to keep playing on
    yepmetoo likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You already tried all the classes on that heroic server and it sounds like you prefer the Beastlord. But then you said you think part of the problem was getting all the stuff at one time - I agree with you on that one - and that you also got a 20 level power level. So I think your missing a lot of discovery about the classes but it seems your leaning towards tankish type.

None of the classes really have much going for them until higher levels but you would enjoy them more doing the leveling up your self. On my enchanter mez would always break at low levels but there are far better ways to fight than that and now at higher levels mez never breaks and is seldom resisted. My ranger? Kited twice on him and couldn't get with it so he became a tank and range fighter.

Sometimes you need to put the time into your character and even then you might change down the road. That is the good thing about EQ - play it your way - there is no hurry to reach end game as no one has...ever(quest)

Maybe check other servers and see what raid times look like on those and hope your work schedule doesn't change again lol
  4. Xenze Elder

I wouldn’t credit your molo (solo with a mercenary) play strictly due to your work schedule. I work rotating shifts and so half the time am working nights. But more so due to your level. It’s hard to find anyone to group with below 85-90 range. Playing molo kind of does restrict how you get to play. Rangers are great fun and extremely versatile. Rangers can be strictly ranged, you can go melee and get your hands dirty, be the group puller constantly bringing mobs into the group, be in charge of crowd control and pulling mobs off healers, and rangers even make decent mini tanks!

I noticed you mentioned enjoying a Beastlord as well. Pet classes are always a good choice for solo/molo play for the simple fact that your pet can be your tank, you get to be the DPS, and you can use your merc as a healer and be your own little full time group. No kiting required.
    Questoften32 and CatsPaws like this.
  5. Fluid Augur

It's hard not to project my experiences on other people. That being said, CRPG developers in general have a tendency to listen to one group over another. It isn't just that since there is some conformation bias that rears its ugly head.

Along the way raiding and guilds became the most listened to and catered to group, to the exclusion of other subgroups. Bartle's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_taxonomy_of_player_types did a good job of characterizing tendencies. It's kind of important to understand even an individual is not a monolith. You end up personally being 60% Explorer + 40% Achiever or some other combination of traits.

Within EQ, guilds and the kind of people that like to run them became the most listened to group. Not all guilds are created equal, but I have found they are typically consumed with pissing contests and control freaks. There are other types that are into the social aspects of the game, its just that they are not given the same level of influence with the direction of the game.

You have two things working against you because of what is considered a 'high end guild.' They don't want you until you are at the maximum level and they demand participation in their particular brand of game play usually taking the form of "You will participate in three raids a week or be dropped from the guild." or something similar. Understand this is an artificial construct, I would personally say a family guild that encourages new people to join and play is a more important 'high end guild' then one that raids three nights a week.

So, go to the guild recruitment forum here and advertise your server and character. Say you would prefer a family or casual guild to let others know you aren't a sock pooper. Make sure you make it clear you are just as willing to help new players as you are to be helped. If you have your level 85 free character available, I would suggest you switch to a server where you will be welcome.

As far as raiding go, I would suggest https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=1852 to get a feel for it. I've killed him countless times. You can kill him with a level 85 character and a merc, no problem. I've done a lot of raids, it just isn't my thing. It would be a good to get an idea how you want to spend your time at a high level. Oddly enough, I find one of the most satisfying thing I do in EQ is buffing newbs with my advanced characters.