Struggling as a beastlord

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Margot Heart, May 16, 2017.

1. Margot Heart Elder

Hey! im loving the game and having a real good time in it , especially while in groups .
    Soloing for the most part has been and is still a struggle.
    Monsters the same level as me seem to be very hard to bring down and i often die while Trying to solo them , and my pet is dying very quickly even tho i try buffring him with shields and hit point buffs .
    Following the Hero's Journey solo feels very hard , especially if it has named Enemies in it .

Im level 60 right now and Trying to figuring out what spells and buff combination is the best .
    Im also undergeared as i struggled so with completing the Hero's Journey quests .
    Any tips or hints are appreciated !
    Maybe i should have gone with a different class that is easier to solo ?
    (Ps .excuse my bad English it's not my native language)

/Margot Heart
  2. Margot Heart Elder

Some other questions :
    At what level do i start the Epic weapons Questline ?
    What stats/skills do i raise with AAs?
    Do i put any AAs into mercs ?
    Thanks again!
    /Margot Heart/Heart Margot EQ2
  3. Duhbeast Augur

hmmm where to start? are you using the defensive buff for your pet? Is your pet dying even with the mob slowed and merc healing? you should have auto grant AA up until lvl 100. Put the merc aa into the healing or universal hp/mp/defensive. I wouldn't worry about the hero's journey so much and find some decent grinding spots while you learn how the class develops.
  4. Margot Heart Elder

Oh there are slow spells at my level ? THe only slow spell im currently using is the one that slows enemy attacks.
    Im using some kind of defense spell for the pet dont remember the name ?
    Thanks!
  5. Margot Heart Elder

Two dark blues and both my merc and pet are gone =/
    really struggling to survive and where to go to level .
    im 62 now trying to find a good spot.
    Tried the steppes but mobs seemed to hard and slow to kill.
  6. Margot Heart Elder

using the spells : Dexterity ,Chloroblast,Spirit of flame,Growl of the leopard,sha's advantage,scorpion venom,blizzard blast and pet:spirit of Arag.
    I dont seem to be able to solo anything
  7. Margot Heart Elder

What stats should i be looking at in gear?
    Most important stat?
  8. Phrovo1 Augur

9. Anastas New Member

As a hybrid of the shaman class you've got a lot of low end shaman spells that eventually die out as you get closer to level 70. From that point forward you can pretty well see which spell lines continue. With that in mind, here's a list of buff lines you have currently that will stay:

Focus line - Talisman of Kragg/Altuna/Tnarg - adds hitpoints
    Hp/Atk - Spiritual Vigor/Strength - adds hitpoints and atk
    Hp/Mana Regen - Spiritual Purity/Radiance - adds hp and mana regen
    Atk - Savagery/Ferocity - adds atk, minor stamina, and resistance to fire/cold/magic/disease/poison
    Haste - Celerity/Alacrity - increase attack speed (not necessary for pet as it has a better self-haste)

I'd say to keep the above on yourself, your pet, and your merc at all times. In addition, keep these on your pet:

Proc line - Spirit of Rellic/Flame
    Pet Haste - Sha's Ferocity/Arag's Celerity
    Growl line - Growl of the Leopard/Panther - using this spell requires a living pet

The low level shaman spells you have that increase melee stats can be useful and somewhat fill in holes if you're struggling for gear. Pay attention to your str/sta/dex in your inventory window because eventually you'll cap out and the spells won't be doing anything but eating up buff slots. Until that time, it may help you to keep the buffs 'Furious Strength', 'Stamina', and 'Dexterity' on yourself and maybe your pet (I don't recall if stat buffs with no cap increase do anything for pets, someone else may want to chime in here).

Also keep in mind that your pet only heals are at least 2x, if not 3x as strong as your all-purpose heals. So definitely keep your highest one up for any time your pet needs a heal (in your case that's Healing of Sorsha).

You do not have many combat abilities at lower levels, but you do have a couple that could turn the tide of a battle if used correctly. At 55 there's Protective Spirit Discipline which can be used about every 5 minutes and greatly reduces incoming damage. At 60, there's Bestial Fury Discipline which will give your dps a boost for a short duration, though the reuse on this disc is much longer.

Others have already mentioned slow spells but it bears repeating: Slow Everything! Especially at lower levels and in older zones in particular (Planes of Power and earlier), slow is incredibly powerful. In addition, you may try casting the spell 'Incapacitate' on mobs for extra weakening.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  10. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

The abive post is great.

I have a couple questions, what type merc are you useing? i didnt see you list if it was a healer, tank etc. At your current lvl I think a tank would be useful, keep buffs on him and heal when needed. Asfor gear, for your lvl just get the defiante stuff and keep doing the dailies. The one up and down from your lvl should net you around 25% exp a day. Not to mention getting groups with the dailes will help you.

Keep the focus on stats with STR, STA, DEX, AGI, WIS. AC will let you get hit less and for less, hps will let you live longer, but if you sacrifice hps for ac you might be better off. Also you should be useing the best damage/delay weapons you can.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  11. Annastasya Augur

The Steppes is a zone in the Serpent's Spine expansion. You will find that all monsters of the same level are not equal. "The Old World" expansions can carry you to 70 pretty easily while molo-ing on any class.

The mobs there have less hitpoints, less and slower attacks, and less armor and special abilities (in general) than new world zones- These expansions consist of Original, Kunark, Velious, and Luclin to a lesser extent. Planes of Power upped the difficulty on regular trash mobs somewhat, and they got another major upgrade in Gates of Discord, Omens, and TSS and it continued from there.

While the Hero's Journey keeps you in the Serpent's Spine expansion for most of the early levels, it is definitely a tough path to take, especially for a new player. i recommend running around Kunark- it has great dungeons, tons of flavor and interesting zones. It is a well designed expansion that i never get tired of running low level alts thru.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  12. Anastas New Member

To try to answer some of your other questions:

You can start your epic 1.0 at any time. If you want to skip that and move straight to your 1.5/2.0, those are available at levels 65 and 70.

Gear stats - of course hp is very useful, otherwise keep an eye out for agi, followed by dex/sta and ac. The ac will help you take hits better and I personally would prioritize ac over most other stats, but that's a personal preference. Stats are maxed out so easily that this won't be a concern for you much longer, once that happens you're mostly going to be comparing raw hp/m, ac, and heroic stats (the golden +# you see beside basic stats on items).

AAs - I don't know what server you're on but if it isn't a progression you should just be able to auto-grant your AAs if you have gold membership, meaning you do not need to worry about them at all (beyond reading over them and learning what they do). This is especially necessary for any activateable AAs you may have. If you do not have a gold membership, you will only be able to earn 250 AAs which you can spend as you wish. I would recommend that if you aren't gold, you make a plan to buy a 1-month sub sometime so that you can auto-grant all your AAs. Once the sub is up, you'll still have access to all of the AAs, you just won't be able to earn more (and if you level up more you may have to buy 1-month subs here and there to 'catch up' on AAs as you go).

Gear - Defiant gear is better than most anything you can quest right now. Watch bazaar for cheap pieces, hold onto armor types you can't use (plate, chain, cloth) to trade, or maybe just ask in chat if anyone has some they don't want. I know I've given away defiant for free if I see someone asking.

Where to level - I'm not the best resource for this but I will say that while you're struggling with gear you may want to avoid later expansions, even if they have content in your level range. You mention The Steppes and, if memory serves, creatures can hit in the 300s there. This kind of ties into what I said about slow being more powerful in older expansions, but it's also true that, in general, the later expansions have mobs that hit harder and have more hps, even if they're the same level as a mob from an earlier expansion. The Serpent's Spine, the expansion The Steppes came out with, had a max level of 75 at the time. If you go back to Planes of Power (max lvl 65) and maybe Shadows of Luclin (max lvl 60), you'll likely see a noticeable difference in the dps output and hp value of those era mobs. Grieg's End and Acrylia Caverns may still have good exp to offer. In PoP, Plane of Fire is always good exp, but that could still be a bit hard. Plane of Nightmares, Bastion of Thunder, and Halls of Honor could be worthwhile to check out, too.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  13. iVALADYANx That's a Necromancer

look for a sargasso spear to snare with, until pet can use hobble of spirits
    Margot Heart likes this.
  14. Margot Heart Elder

Wow ! Thanks alot for all help and suggestions!
    I got one more question If I have a lv50 warden with swords and gear that i have equipped on him will it carry over to the next warden (the higher level version)
    Or do i have to equip each new version with new weapons ?
    I wish there was a pet equip window !
    Thanks again will be reading through all this later when i get the time !
    /Margot Heart
  15. Margot Heart Elder

* I have ALL acess and the latest expansion and im currently using a Journeyman Tank merc
  16. phattoni Augur

17. phattoni Augur

check out planes of power zones, they will not be as hard as the steppes mobs.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  18. Margot Heart Elder

Thanks! going to log in now and have a look!
  19. Margot Heart Elder

Super helpful hints guys! Thanks again ! Having lots of fun playing with a friend and Twitcher called Krushnek!
    We are playing together when he is streaming
  20. Dixa Augur

don't go to the steppes. mobs there have a metric butt load of hp. stay in blackfeather roost until 65.

work on your aa's. you want to get hobble of spirits. i recommend going all access for at least one month and auto granting your aa's.
    Margot Heart likes this.