Strange Magic - a bad joke?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by NeverPayForLag, Jan 19, 2019.

1. NeverPayForLag Augur

Step by step I crawl through that expansion. Some steps are simply ridiculous hard.

Has somebody a clue, how to make that quest without having raid gear and without dying a hundred times?

Whatever DGB has "softened" - the normal mobs in the normal zones were absolutely ok - there was no need to change them, but the missions are really a pita. It seems there was no single change in them... corpses are piling up in that mission...
  2. svann Augur

After a wipe, invis before entry.
    use mez or roots
  3. Thunderkiks Augur

Need CC, enchanter mez or someone to root the adds. Makes a big difference. Also mobs don't see invis so invis in between golems. The adds dont go active right away and that makes a big difference. I box this with SK, chanter, cleric, and ranger. Sk grabs golem, chanter is ready to ae mez as soon as active. Emotes should also be followed or you get damage too. Hex golem emotes stay far away from the 2 toons called. Lifebane golem emotes the 2 toons stay basically on top of each other.
  4. NeverPayForLag Augur

Thanks. Did that. Used AA-Root, tanked with Earth Pet the big boy while decimating the little ones. Fighting without aggro the Golem is so far not possible for me. It seems Golem needs always get offtanked.

I am at Spellbinder and Arcane Golem at moment. Done the other two. But the damage output of them is a bit crazy - they have insane spikes. Anything to these two?
  5. Cadira Augur

Spellbinder cast a constant spell slow I think, Arcane just does a ae dd now and then?

The mini golems despawn after each golem dies, so if you can CC them you don't have to kill them until the final wave of them.
  6. NeverPayForLag Augur

ok, THAT really makes a difference...
    Always killed them off to avoid piling up in the end.

Arcane is meanwhile dead and I have expected 9 mini golems inside... :eek:

addon: 5 inside, wow... and the area looks like a crematory...
  7. Whulfgar Augur

I'd be interested in seeing 9 mini golems up at the same time screen shot. I've ran this mission (box style) for the past 2 weeks.. I take out the big g olem every time and the previous mini golems die every time the next big g olem dies
  8. Brohg Augur

"expected" - as in, that's what he thought the consequence would be of not killing the previous wave
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Um, everything including the boss golems are stunnable.

All the adds are mezzable.

Bring an enchanter/bard and a paladin if you can't get through it any other way
  10. NeverPayForLag Augur

Success!

Enchanter was unable to AE-Mezz them, was instant wipe - to high resists obviously. But tank got in with Fortitude and Druid AE-rooted them with pushback, after that Enchanter could mezz them single with tash. Never had so many corpses in an instance without the urge to rezz them because it simply needed too much time. I assume, this is also a method to loose xp again :confused:

Thanks for the hints. :)

The last part ("Remodeling") creamed me last night too. I expected the same "smooth" fight like in "Delivery" but it obviously was wrong and this one is much harder or the late night made me forgot my usual complete buff preparation.:)

Next try today, awake and hopefully successful.
    Pirlo and Cadira like this.
  11. NeverPayForLag Augur

ok.. i was not awake..

"Remodeling" went smooth like "Delivery".

Hello Jann Illusion Mask. :)

Thanks to all who gave ideas. :D

Now only some nasty Trials and the Plane of Smoke tasks left....
    Quatr, Yinla and Pirlo like this.
  12. Ecchicon Elder

And all you needed was a full raid geared group *cough*.
  13. NeverPayForLag Augur

Nope, but a nearly full raid geared tank - compared to EoK/RoS! Only 2 parts missing for complete TBL TS/T3 (most TBL augments geared up) with maxed AA and all others in nearly full T2 and an optimized setup. Without the beefy tank - no chance. If tank cannot take the hits then this is it. But I had to change the setup. With the old group I had too many obstacles. With 2 tanks and a mage it is possible to offtank many parts when crowdcontrol did not work (AE-Root/AE-Mezz). With proper aggro management the 2 tanks, mage pet and enchanter pet take aggro and damage round-robin and it is much easier to beat big mobs (chain aggro instead of chain healing). Besides this expansion is full of Elementals and Mage is THE damage dealer for elementals. In combination with the Druid DPS/CC/Burn and the burn methods of a SK and the mitigation and protection stuff of an Enchanter and a real Cleric for maximum healing, this expansion is possible to beat much easier. I am still on the edge of the lava trial success but I expect that with a bit AA and beefing up the second tank that this trial could get beaten by this crew. There is only a slight edge missing at moment.

People pretending that a beefy tank isn't needed, have either people dragging them through, 2-3 tanks for aggro distribution or enough DPS through EOK ultrarare weapons which compensate HP/AC to a certain degree or have used cheats/exploits or expanded knowledge through beta to boost their toons which is normally not possible to achieve through normal gameplay. That statement will give a shitstorm but I am very convinced meanwhile about this (I am thinking about people not in the beta or don't have their characters far enough, they will try to get dragged through the trials and sweat a lot...)

Some easier ways now come to light after the first people exploited these to equip their crew. Some are now nerfed or heavily camped and soon nerfed. So like every expansion people who come later will take the longer way...but without so many bugs...
  14. NeverPayForLag Augur

Besides: to beat the expansion doing the progression via fellowship to be able to beat the trials after the crew is equipped is - in my opinion - a design failure...
  15. Ibudin Augur

Did this with 3 necros, shaman, and chanter. Keep adds AE rooted, and root rot the boss each phase. It will summon when its near death so dont root the minis near the namer. Can toss in pet(s) at that stage and FD if you cant take a hit or 2. Was by far the easiest run i did, and I had done many runs with tanks and other DPS classes.
    This expansion takes time but its beatable in the group game if you plan it out and look at all the mechanics.

In fact that night we did a ton of progression with 3 necros - oh that alliance power.
    NeverPayForLag and Brohg like this.
  16. Orbital101 Augur

You can fight the little guys without fighting the bosses each wave or you can kill the bosses with adds de spawning. There is many ways to approach this mission to make it easier.
  17. bigpapa Augur

what about having the second zone blocked with trials ? ** I am able to beat one at least ** but what about all others who can't and need to beg every 2,5 days to be able to have a trial on lock to bypass plane of smoke ? to zone into empyr..... in my opinion a failure as well,
  18. NeverPayForLag Augur

perhaps the thought could be:

Make the easiest trial all 72hours to get all Diminished Inhabited Mubhis to have the gear to make all other trials to proceed.In the meantime you get your gear in the easiest trial and can "ransack" the next zone which is T2 and drops are much better. So you have Stratos, Smoke Trials and Empyr in that combination for the start. If you have your gear and did the progression from there on then you can proceed to Aalishai. And then into - the most useless idea - Esianti - a T1 zone. If you arrive there you should have the gear complete in T2/T3. What creative brain designed this and what intention was behind that - I have no clue. Perhaps dragging all toons and noobs into it, so that you can twink the noobs or the F2P in a zone which is not so terrible for boxing than Stratos? Real players have their gear mostly if they worked the progression up to Esianti.

And... it forces most players to group except the hardcore boxers with enough firepower.
    Sounds like a really creative and happy fun stuff...

The progression rewards and the T2/T3 drops compensate for some really strange parts of that expansion. After having a different crew and the appropriate gear this expansion is indeed fun. The key is like always DPS and/or Tankability with help of CC. If a group has the same classes they have the advantage of Alliances. I have my healing alliance Cleric/Druid which helped through some very hard damage outputs. Others have their DPS alliances which compensate much for missing tankability.

But this expansion was a really strange one so far.

my strat which worked now was:

1. Stratos Progression
    2. Hunter Achievement Stratos
    3. One Trial -> to proceed
    4. Empyr: Hunter Achievement + Progression
    5. Aalishai: Hunter Achievement + Progression
    6. Esianti: Progression
    7. Mearatas: Hunter Achievement + Progression (T2/T3 should be done now)
    8. Esianti Hunter Achievement (gear up alts)
    9. Progression: PoFire/Chamber of Tears (T3+ -> the specials from progression)
    10. Plane of Smoke Hunter Achievement (with fellowship help, gear up alts)
    11. the rest of the trials with now full gear
    12. missing last 6 tasks for progression of Plane of Smoke

There is a much easier way if the tricks are known. But at least this is playable in that way. The personal buffstation has been dragged in via fellowship and Guild Hall Banner Port. The Hunter Achievement is to gear up to prepare for the trials (what irony...). I cannot imagine that it is intended to ransack the missing T1 zones after Stratos and all the T2 stuff, but that was the only useful way for me to make that. Good design would be Plane of Smoke and Esianti with Stratos first, after that the T2 zones... I still have not figured out what thoughts they could have had to make such a combination...?!?

AE-Root did not stick at the bosses in Strange Magic. Only on the minis. Like nearly all classes Alliance is really an extreme help. Have Necros special resist boni for root so that they stick easier? On the minis it worked perfect. Mezz did also not stick without tash preparation even on the minis.

mh.. I thought I need to kill the bosses to get the minis spawn - how should that work? What is the idea behind of that?
  19. Tucoh Augur

First time I did Strange Magic was with a group in RoS group gear and I just brute forced it by killing the shards first and didn't bother checking CC. I think I wiped once or twice and came in with fresh cooldowns.

Most recent time I did it I used my shaman's AE root spell, made it laughably easy.
  20. Morthakia Augur

We managed to beat this before the TBL Melee Nerf with an SK and shaman healer. The SK was essentially in equivalent gear to full TBL T3. We didn’t realize the adds could be mezzed and therefore we literally tanked the golem + shards (including 4 shards + golem during final golem wave). Thought the shards had to die first so we killed them before taking on the golem. All of this before we realized that we could tank it much easier by blowing glyphs. Yes, there was a lot of death, but we definitely did it “the hard way.”

It is literally the last mission of the expansion. It rewards you with a teleport device that enables you to go to basically anywhere in the expansion instantly. It is supposed to be hard. Heck, you can even do it in stages, killing golems and then zoning back in after recovering to pick up where you left off. I personally preferred the challenge of the Veeshan’s Peak 12-man mission from RoS. Strange Magic feels a little too easy given the reward.