Strange effects while playing with 3D hardware

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by AB_H'Sishi, Jan 18, 2013.

1. AB_H'Sishi Augur

Hello,

I have some issues playing EQ with active 3D hardware.

I have a Nvidia "Geforce GTX 680" graphics card which supports Nvidia's 3DVision. Lately I bought an ASUS "VG278HR" monitor which has an IR transmitter and included a pair of Nvidia "3DVision 2" shutter glasses.
    After the initial setup of Monitor, glasses and 3DVision I started EQ. Almost everything is displayed fine in 3D. Almost everything.

All static and mobile objects are rendered in 3D, with a good depth quality. Terrain features, buildings, objects and (N)PC are all rendered very nice in 3D, including their animations e.g. tail wagglings of VahShir and Iksars. It's really a different feeling playing EQ in 3D.
    The Target ring is displayed flat around its origin (NPC or object) and fits in very well too.
    The UI stays in 2D and takes place in the topmost foreground. To describe it, it's like you see through a window glass into the landscape and the UI is projected on the glass from your side. That's fine too.

But ALL particle effects are rendered completely in 2D, failing to appear at their depth position. To describe it, we have the mentioned window again and the particles are displayed at the back side of the glass, means directly behind UI.
    This affects the following things (list may be incomplete):
    - visible spell effects
    - visible aura effects
    - flames from light sources (fires, torches, stationary lamps etc.)
    - particles of weapons (clouds, sparks, lightnings etc.)
    - the green blinking eyes from skeletons
    - the sparklings from the Collectible ground spawns in RoF
    - the swirling effect of the portals in SL
    - dust clouds coming from the feet of running pets & mounts
    - cloud and lightning effect of "cyclone" type mobs (swirling rocks or snow balls, with clouds and lightning effects within the mobs)

Unfortunately there's no fine adjustment for 3D settings in EQ. I just can adjust the distance within particle effects should be displayed.

The only setting I can adjust in 3Dvision settings is the strength of the Depth effect, means how my eyes have to adapt between seeing something "very near" and "very far" but this setting doesn't affect the particles within EQ. They're always rendered "behind UI".
    Nvidia's 3D compatibility games list doesn't mention any problems for EQ; Because all objects are rendered fine I won't blame them for that.

Since this issue is very technical about EQ's graphic engine I'm not mad if the response is "Sorry, we can't do anything here". It's just a "I want to let you know about that" and "Maybe there's a setting which I don't know yet" thing.

But if you want to help and need more information, please let me know what exactly you need and how I can provide the information.

Thanks in advance.
    //Hsishi
  2. EQStillTheBest New Member

I would also like to show my support for the advancement of technological compatibilities of the Everquest engine.

Everquest is STILL the best MMORPG in my opinion and really its greatest negative aspect is that it is still behind the power curve in the graphics department compared to current games.

It would appear that much of the 3D compatibility is already worked out and that only a few more tweaks to the code may be all that is required to fix the particle effect "issues".

If we, the faithful users, are paying the same monthly fees as the other MMORPGs then I feel that we should be able to expect the same level of advancement in technology compatibility as other MMORPGs provide.

You never know, perhaps if as much effort were placed into advancing the graphics as is placed on releasing the next "expansion" more people would be attracted to this outstanding game.