stopping tank lineup domino effect

Discussion in 'Priests' started by sojero, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Belkar_OotS Augur

I'm going to side step the main topic, what healers can do to help stop the tank domino effect, to throw in a couple tank items that are a huge deal when used properly.

Healers are in total reactive mode during a tank domino. Either try your best to save whoever is targeted, or deciding who you think is next or a likely first responder.

Tanks are the proactive side of the coin. A smart tank will quickly stop the domino effect.

I have a hotkey set up a little like the following.

/vrsay 06 (don't remember the exact voice tell command but the "heal me" option)
    /rsay Tanking %t in 5 seconds! (Enough time for healers to finish their current cast, target me, and start a new cast)
    /pause 45
    /pause 5, /disc Flash
    /alt act #### (Ageless)

Basically what you were saying with announcements. The main issue in this situation is often tanks being too timid to jump in there to get the job done. However, 1 responsive tank saves 12 healers from having to be reactive.
  2. sojero One hit wonder

I 100% agree, and have been working on that, the problem is getting them to make and USE the key, and for other tanks to not be doing the exact same thing at the same time, its bad when you have 2 tanks hit it, then healers don't know who to go with, and neither tank wants to say, oh not me, heal him, cause they might die, usually both end up dying.
  3. Belkar_OotS Augur

I am a little surprised you feel this way, but it could just be my background versus yours. I do think the amount healed is mostly for fun, since luck of when your heal landed versus the latest mob round can have a rather steep difference in where people end up. However, total spells cast is pretty evident between high performers and lower performers. The more the person is covering specialized/flex kinds of jobs will usually show lower total casts too, but again that is taking into account the entire raid and what was requested of them so should be reflected in the expectations.

I rely a great deal on assignments, probably because I find it easier and more effective, especially with my raid force. It is easier to keep track and focus on a smaller subset of the raid, than to try to appropriately respond to a large list where everyone is doing what they want. Having a focused assignment means there is more likely to be a steady stream of healing rather than having 10 people reactively respond jumping back and forth between people we already know are going to need a large amount of heals. Generally I assign 3-5 healers per main boss, and then put a few people on flex duty if I have any to spare to fill in whatever gaps may develop.
  4. Roxxanna Augur

I'm talking about my total healed number, all healing across all targets. I know people will say it's not a good way to look at it, but the problem with using the tanks actual healed number, is ALOT of my heals land at 100% because we have clerics who are VERY good at timing their smaller heals, which is not a bad thing, but just because my heal didn't actually heal anything doesn't mean I didn't cast it. After every raid, I look at my total healing of others, which is usually in the 10-15 mil range.
  5. moogs Augur

Total amount healed is good. Total healing spells cast is good.

The problem is that this is skewed because the tank is the one running the parser on himself. I'm not going to have him targeted 100% of the time, and it's not going to show that I'm busy rebuffing him, debuffing mobs, and so on. It will also show that the cleric in his group will heal a bunch more since group heals will come into play.
  6. sojero One hit wonder

There are many many factors when looking at heal parses, and all parses for that matter, you have to get a plethora of information and the person looking at it has to know how to interpret it or it is useless, and worse, used in the wrong way.

Just like dps parse of someone doing 50k dps but their class "could" be doing 120k, but they didn't have the correct support, or if they did, their support didn't cast, or didn't cast together, you cant blame the 50k dps'er for others play.
  7. Belkar_OotS Augur

Absolutely lol.......... I think we've all been in that boat, probably multiple times this week even! I just have to remind myself that it isn't a wasted disc when this happens. It is a cost of doing business, and a preferable result to nearly every alternative. Just means I have to reshuffle tanking orders... again.

Helping train people to perform at a higher level is a very real challenge, especially since some people are very stuck in their ways, and take offense to suggestions as if they were a personal character attack.
  8. sojero One hit wonder

I hear you, this so much of this, many people don't realize the game is not the same as 1999. They also don't respect that someone else that doesn't "main" their class can give them good advice.
  9. Roxxanna Augur

I run my own parse, and click on healing, it shows everyone I healed, and how much, and at the bottom is a total. Tanks never seem to want to give a parse anyhow.
  10. Crystilla Augur

You know what would be interesting, for clerics to actually create our own post and just share nightly (or as I'd prefer) event parses. Explaining what type of group we were in, length of fight (if not exact minutes, short/medium/long), type of guild (cutting edge, how far in progression), # of spells cast, etc. and just list things down.

Not so much to do any judgement, but just to see what others are experiencing and stuff.
    Roxxanna likes this.
  11. Roxxanna Augur

I like this idea.
  12. Brohg Augur

It's been true, for actual decades at this point, that total number of spells cast is a highly accurate proxy for caster quality.
  13. Roxxanna Augur

Except, of coarse, when some cleric targets themselves and spam heals through whole raid, or overinflates their count by putting yaulp towards the top of their multibind.
  14. Brohg Augur

If your raiders are working as you describe to deceive 53 of their friends into giving them loots or whatever, you have bigger problems than spell linups.
    Iila likes this.
  15. Roxxanna Augur

Lol, no, a hypothetical cleric. I check parses to make sure I'm doing at least as good as any other cleric, and if I ran across that I'd bust a nut.
  16. Brohg Augur

I ... I don't think you know what that phrase means ... I'd advise googling, but ... maybe not.
  17. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

If I have to read one more post about your wife's paladin sir, I'll act of valor you myself! ;)
  18. sojero One hit wonder

LOL had nothing to do with my wives pally, since we are talking about healer archtypes saving a falling tank lineup, and don't know where that came from.

And its my paladin now, just on wives account, she doesn't enjoy playing it anymore and started playing a wiz.
  19. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

So now you are a member of the paladin community? She will help you greatly! :))))
  20. sojero One hit wonder

I thought I was a member of the EQ community. I play many classes and enjoy most of them. Now is there a reason you are derailing this thread with completely random jabs?