stopping tank lineup domino effect

Discussion in 'Priests' started by sojero, Apr 24, 2015.

1. sojero One hit wonder

What do people do to get a raid back on track when they are having a domino effect in tanks, or you have tanks that are not doing what they should and you don't know who will be next (say the other tank forgot to turn off atk when they taunted up, and died)

For my cleric this is how I usually deal with it:

tank goes down, click on main mob, click on hott -- keep these 2 ui windows close together. cast ward if up plus burst if they are not at 100%, or fastest heal if ward is not up, during the cooldown, if the person you just healed is not the next in order or has not called out, double click hott (which will get you the main mob again, the second click will go back to its target, be it either the same tank or a new one) keep doing this till a tank is established, and the double clicks can be done during the GCD so no spell cast time lost.

I am also curious how druids and shammies can help with that?
  2. moogs Augur

We put this in another thread somewhere, but what I personally do is I have 11 of 13 extended targets allocated to tanks, the main assist, the enchanters, a new raider, etc. I keep the bottom two lines in my saved raid target set open and on Auto (default).

I have two hotbuttons, one for slot 12 and one for slot 13.

Each hotkey is a multibind which:

1. Targets whatever is in slot 12/13 of the extended target window, then immediately assist the mob to pick up a tank/ranger/monk/whomever happens to have aggro.
    2. Multibinds my 3 fastest single target heals.

This heals whomever is catching a beatdown and it's done using one click. I can bind them to my keyboard but it's not necessary.

Then if it's available I will pop Convergence of Spirits AA for an instant heal. Usually that's enough for me to singlehandedly save the whole raid and allow the slower, more humble healers in the raid begin to assist in healing the temporary tank while everyone gets their heads back in the game and send me tells of gratitude.
  3. Roxxanna Augur

Does the main target/mob/head honcho always show up on first available slot, or do you customize it according to which raid your doing? I never thought of /assisting mobs, didn't realize it would work.
  4. sojero One hit wonder

Not at the gaming computer right now, but I think you can pre target and right click in the ext tar window and lock one to him with "current target" same way you do tanks
    moogs likes this.
  5. Roxxanna Augur

Hmmmm...../assist mob......I like new toys
  6. moogs Augur

If you want, you can reserve one or two slots for Raid Assist 1's Target or whatever it is, and that will be a raid boss mob. Someone asked specifically what my social looks like so I logged in to take a screenshot. I have a saved extended target list for when I raid, and a saved spellset for when I'm healing on a raid. It could use some cleanup, but this is what it looks like right now. Notice slots 12 and 13 are left empty to automatically pick up mobs. (It would be a better idea to set to Raid Assist Target 1 and 2, so long as your raid's MA isn't dead.)

[IMG]
  7. moogs Augur

One quick optimization I might consider is changing the first line to /assist, /xtar ## to clear a line for /alt activate #### (whichever one is Convergence).
  8. Dre. Altoholic

Tanks don't pop fortitude/deflection on transitions? Or are you saying it takes more than 18-24 seconds to switch over your heal chain.
    Iila likes this.
  9. Crystilla Augur

Slightly different from others here.

I used to use assist off HoTT to see whose up, but now I use the aggro meter - which is great because you can instantly see (unless it's a dang pet) who generally will be the one taking damage.

I'll also usually be the one asking in our raid channel - which tank is going up next, so we can make sure he's pre-healed to the hilt.
  10. moogs Augur

When there's some bad luck - the tank dies and then so does your backup tank, etc. and the raid boss is chomping through your raid like a rabid beast - and you need to stop the bleed, it's difficult to do so. Your normal tanks are all down, and you could have a ranger or someone step up and tell the whole raid to heal them, but they may not be on anyone's extended target window right away. The raid boss could be going for a rogue or a monk or who knows what. Someone has to be targeted for death, and chances are no one's able to take hits for more than 3 or 4 seconds without heals. This thread is about that situation.

How do you stop the bleed and save your raid from a wipe, and buy time for recovery? This is how I find the mob's target immediately and toss them the fastest heal available. I will mash that button a few times, and hopefully the other healers are doing the same. That should buy time for a real tank to step up, hit a disc, take aggro and call for heals. You need to create a bridge from the emergency "tank" to someone who is wearing plate and is prepared to take a hit. If you fail to heal your rangers and rogues who are getting whacked, the raid boss will go for your healers and casters. If that happens, it's probably too late to save the raid.
  11. Roxxanna Augur

Using that setup now, thanks Moogs, working beautifully.
  12. Brohg Augur

/assist frequently isn't instant for me. That would lead to, in the social you have a picture of, my /cast 1 to ~always get a You must first select a target for this spell! error. The solution I use is to put a /pause in line with the /assist. Like, "/pause 2,/assist"
    moogs likes this.
  13. moogs Augur

Yes, I found that I need to use a /pause in my assist socials when multi-boxing, usually more on a /follow command than /assist. Depending on your situation, you may need one when raiding. (I guess I'm lucky and raiding doesn't produce a ton of latency for me.) Or you can just spam the button, which will do no harm at all.
  14. sojero One hit wonder

Dre, its a combination of both. I have wars that still don't use defensive prof. and healers that wont heal outside their groups. We have a couple that keep the raid going, and many are filler.
  15. p2aa Augur

Yes, there are some tank dominos cause some warriors engage without flash of anger / fortitude and die fast lol, providing you wait your turn ready to engage on a sudden death tank swap.
    Even if you are second in aggro in the aggro meter and you are summoned, you have 2 sec or so (the short time of a mob look for someone else) to click it before mob start hitting you (you have to remain fast to click though)
    Always hitting an invul disc before tanking a boss mob is a concept that some warriors fail at, fortunately they don't do it all the time.

As for defensive proficiency, despite repeating it in the tank channel, there are still some that don't pop it 24/24 and that's very lame ya (and they have shield + 1H set up).
  16. Isule Elder

I'm not reading other peoples posts so I don't know if it was covered. But here is some possibilities tanks are dieing:

Tank line up is not Divine Interventioned
    Tanks are not following Tank order
    Tanks are not using cooldowns, they need training on how to pop fortitude(or its equivlant) or flash etc as soon as a tank swap happens.
    Clerics (like what you wrote) are Mouse clicking instead of using an "assist" key. When I used to main heal in raids I had an Assist key (something like Z) that I could assist the boss and start my heal.
    The other thing I noticed is you said you cast ward if it is up, don't worry about ward during the start of a tank swap HEAL! get it stabilized first! then worry about mitigating damage. The only time you Might cast something over another is divine intervention.
    Are tanks in groups with multiple clerics? A cleric has divine arbitration AND epic/shield. This can save them or the swap. A good group make up is Cleric, Cleric, Warrior Tank (AC aura), Tank, Pally Tank (for Aura stacking), Bard (for AC songs), if no bard fill in another tank or healer type if it can be spared, else toss in maybe a necro for group hp tap.

Are you making sure to stand in range of your tank for your Auras on him/her? I usually stand in melee range when applicable for this.
  17. Roxxanna Augur

All tanks are DI'd and AI'd, and everything else we can cast at them. The issue is after a tank goes down (which will happen) there's sometimes confusion over who's grabbing the mob. Sometimes more than one tank will try to pick it up (this is either after we've gone thorough the rotation, one wasn't given, or maybe I just didn't see it when it was called). Occasionally, there's even tanks that came in later and I'm not even aware they are in raid. I don't mouse click heal, but what usually happens is tank drops, I see who mob targets, and I start healing, mob switches targets, and now I'm healing wrong person. I was not aware we could /assist the mob to heal, and I will be implementing this. Ward do Surety is one of the most important tools we have, but if it's cast on a tank that no longer has aggro, it's waisted. I would venture that our #1 problem is some clerics not switching targets.
  18. moogs Augur

If it's that bad, maybe you might want to consider taking them on a lower level raid and spending most of your time flipping through your clerics and other healers in your raid in your extended target window, just to see what they've got targeted. And make a separate chat window only showing crit heals. Enable logging if it's turned off, and then go look through the logs and see who's playing close to their potential and who can really use some help.
  19. sojero One hit wonder

We have different channels for tanks and healers, and many healers are in both, and not many tanks are in both. We do need to work on our communication in our raids, that is our biggest issue. Roxx has been amazing and a top performer on our raids, its amazing what someone can when they have an open mind and want to learn. Wish more were like her.
  20. Perplexed Augur

How did you color your buttons?
    When I click and hold, I only see 'change size', 'assign icon', or 'assign label' for changing appearance.
    Also it's nice to know I'm not the only one using old spell icons :).