STOP the AFK Botters already. Please?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Dalekx, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Barton The Mischievous

Lol yes the solution is easy ban cheaters. It is not rocking the boat it is dealing with cheaters period, ban them they are breaking the rules. Yes there is an easy "just ban them solution" cheating is against the rules just ban them. Sounds like you are just making excuses for cheating. cheating should not be allowed and those who do should be banned
    Ghubuk, Dalekx and Nennius like this.
  2. Silver-Crow Augur

Hmm seems to me you can get this to work in your favour.
    Got 100 widget_01 to sell...

buyers are paying 1silver for it.....

Place buy order for 1 widget_01 for 10,000 pp
    afk_bot amends order to new price 10,001pp
    Sell 100 widgets_01 to afk_botter for 10,001pp each
    remove your buy order for 1 widget_01.

Everyone is happy (apart from afk botter) :)
    svann likes this.
  3. Elskidor Augur

Read someone from either here or reddit that "accidentally" wiped a bot crew, but before there bot Rezzer came to bring them back he decided to offer up no xp Rezzes to each of them. I guess the bot crew was happy to accept dozens of these until they deleveled so much they couldn't survive their scripted camp. I thought that was pretty funny. Not sure if there's truth to it though.
    Jhenna_BB and Mintalie like this.
  4. KermittheFroglok Augur

I agree something needs to be done about botting, this past month has seemed worse so I'm wondering if there's a new cheat tool they don't know about. I'm even starting to run into what appear to be bots in low level zones like Crushbone on LIVE servers, guessing they're testing their scripts for the next TLP...
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

If I see a botter camp (I haven't run across one in months) I make an effort to stop and make them feel welcome. I consider it keeping up foreign relations. A 'PR' tour, if you will. No group should have to grind alone. So I make it a point to accompany them in their adventures.
  6. So Happy Augur

Big difference between using 3rd party software to play your boxes and using it to run unattended blotting scripts. They should ban these script running accounts and all accounts that can be associated with them.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Barton like this.
  7. Funk Augur

This is an absurd argument. The players who do not use that nonsense far outnumber the ones that do. I firmly believe cheaters are the minority not the other way around.

If they banned all cheaters the game would be better off, period.
  8. Suffer Lorekeeper

Calling someones thought absurd and then backing up your claim with less than anecdotal evidence is absurd.

Ask yourself this... If DBG bans 1000 cheaters. Do you think word gets out, people rejoice and EQ sees 1000 new subs??

I have no idea myself. If i had to bet on it though i would bet not.

DBG is not going to do anything that places ethics over their bottom line at this stage in EQ's life. Sorry
    DJames likes this.
  9. Garcielle Journeyman

"Hmm seems to me you can get this to work in your favour.
    Got 100 widget_01 to sell...

buyers are paying 1silver for it.....

Place buy order for 1 widget_01 for 10,000 pp
    afk_bot amends order to new price 10,001pp
    Sell 100 widgets_01 to afk_botter for 10,001pp each
    remove your buy order for 1 widget_01.

Everyone is happy (apart from afk botter)
    :)
    "

That will not work, as the programs they use are sophisticated enough to see price changes outside the norm. They have parameters and ranges.
  10. NeverPayForLag Augur

Stay into the parameters then and search for the weekness of your enemy. If you know your enemy you win 50% of all fights. If you know yourself then you win 50% of your fights. You know when you will win 100% of all (a little modified "Sun Tzu"). So know how the automatic works. Know what you are capable of or better learn the necessary things. Use it.

You will not make them broke but you can take advantage of it with that way with the description above. If somebody uses automatics then they rely more on it. I did that more than once. Only problem: you need some money to invest in that method. If that is a problem then buy a Krono, sell it for 2-3Mill, this is enough for the most products to start with. Then you have your own stratetic economic game inside Everquest.

Works from experience. My description worked in the past. I made some millions with that and real life is no difference. ;) Searching for solutions is more effective than complaining about the problems and this is a nice way to do it ;)
  11. Funk Augur

If they ban 1000 cheaters, the cheaters buy 1000 new accounts.

But nice to know you believe we should just turn a blind eye and let cheaters do as they please.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

That's not what he's advocating, at all. But the current state of the game is that we're teetering on EQ's survival. The fewer paying subscribers there are, the quicker EQ goes away. Look at the track record of SOE/DBG and unprofitable games. They get shut down immediately.

What he is advocating is that let's deal with a few cheaters in the interest of the game's survival. Not to mention that I have not seen any bot groups in nearly a year. The new anti-cheat measures seem to be working. So let's dial down the malicious rhetoric in the spirit of harmony, mmkay?
  13. xcitng Augur

I highly doubt all of the afk cheaters have all access accounts.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Barton like this.
  14. Havanap Elder

I guess you'd still be able to figure out the lowest/highest that particular program was prepared to go, and then sell/buy slightly outside that range. Or coax them gradually up/down to a kill point with a series of buy/sell orders.
  15. Funk Augur

You might not be looking because they are still out there in full force. And calling what I'm saying malicious is going way out in left field bud. I'm not the one over here saying let's be nice to cheaters because they are the lifeblood of EQ. They are not, they are the minority.
  16. Funk Augur

Are you angry that others dislike cheaters and want them dealt with? Sounds like it, by the way you tell others their questions are dumb and that they should learn to search...I think you should calm down.

And you are 100% wrong if you think EQ would be some sort of Ghost town if cheaters were removed...maybe you'd be one of those on vacation?
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Nennius like this.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Whoa. Have any other invented stats? Call for your evidence BTW.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Meaningless, immature insults ignored for the moment. You stated that if all the cheaters were removed, there would only be one server left. Show the proof of that statement. I've been playing EQ for more than 20 years myself and I really haven't encountered a LOT of botters. Doesn't mean they're not there. But throwing out unproveable claims just weakens your case. Show us the proof behind your belief. Convince us of the wisdom of your side.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. AlmarsGuides Augur

Do a simple google search and compare the red forums and how many posts/threads/active viewers to the forums here. That's about the best math you'll get and you don't have to worry about someone else faking or skewing the numbers.

You should also search the I boxer forums since that is also third party software and many people consider that cheating as well. Maybe you don't, but that doesn't matter - Daybreak considers both software identicle, both names are blocked on the forums and both are treated the same in Daybreak's eyes. Proof? Remember that post about Third Part Cheat Software two months ago? Yea, no one who used either of these programs got banned therefore they don't consider either "Cheat" software.

Many many many people on the EQ forums already have their mind made up about cheat programs though and they are extremely close minded. I have argued with many of them and I can tell they are not making logical decisions, their decision to hate third party software is strictly emotional. Thankfully, this world isn't run on emotional decisions - it's run on logical ones... Mostly, we are taking a turn for the worse though in many political scenarios with emotional decisions winning against logical ones =P
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

I was going to write a longer compliment on your post, but whatever I wrote seemed condescending. So, i'll offer a qualified well done. In any case, too many posts here are, IMHO, just emotionally based guesswork it seems to me. I much prefer facts, not guesswork or invented statistics.

I fall on the side of throwing cheaters under the bus, but the financial loss to DBG of somehow identifying (a separate and error prone process to be sure) and then banning all cheaters is something that would certainly have an impact. Only the folks at DBG are really in a place to accurately calculate what that loss would be. The rest of us can literally only guess.