Stop paying the farmers. Stop it.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Risiko Augur

Your salty tears feed me. Please continue.
  2. 6rout Lorekeeper

Don't tell me how to live my life OP
  3. Zefirus Journeyman

VP key is no longer -able as of today's notes. That should help out some
  4. Xanathol Augur

The farmers don't stop when they know there is demand and no one is buying. Case in point - Elementari's box crew in SolB. They'd pick hop and kill the giant nameds. If no one bought for their price, they just destroyed the items and repeated the process, so the only way to get the items was through them (this person wasn't nearly as monopolistic as others, but the model is still the same).
  5. Xanathol Augur

Right.. its not like 'loot rights' are sold in current EQ, in EoK, during HH Seb, etc... oh wait!
  6. lovecheese45 New Member

We all knew before this server was unlocked that it was going to be a krono farming heaven. Now that we're into it, you expect different?
  7. Bufonidae Elder

The VP key is mostly fixed now Sooner or later DB will realized how much money they're giving away to the RMTers and fix the HS key too.
  8. Illusory Augur

That doesn't make sense, but I get what you're trying to say.

If we're using the basics of supply and demand then what you're saying STILL wouldn't work even if said farmer knew people were deliberately causing a surge in supply. And, here's why - since there is no demand, the item's value would decline and overtime that decline in price wouldn't be worth John's time to farm. The idea here is to not feed into a price decline or artificial supply because that could cause a bump in demand. If this happens the cycle could start all over again.

If no one buys John's item, he will be forced to move on.
  9. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

But at least a few people will buy his item.

You are explaining a hypothetical that has no chance of occurring. You will never, not in a million years, solidify and unite EVERYONE on Agnarr into your "genius" plan of 'Just Stop Buying'. Therefore, all your anecdotes and Googled, second-hand knowledge of Economic Systems, means absolutely nothing since your starting point is a statistical impossibility.
  10. lovecheese45 New Member

Proof that someone bought a jade chokidai Prod for 4 krono in commonlands last night continues to prove that there is demand.
    Even if everyone says "don't buy it, stay away" all it takes is a random person to buy it and thus, the farm continues.
  11. Illusory Augur

The term that you're looking for is improbable and actually with a sample size as small as the EQ community the chances are higher than you think.

However, you seem to be under some impression that I care about krono farmers or people using krono to buy items. Neither bother me in the slightest.
  12. Risiko Augur

Wow 4 krono. Someone paid the equivalent to $72 for an item that drops off a level 20ish mob. Here's the funny part of the whole thing. Once that person zones in to Howling Stones, they are going to be right back here complaining about all of the bots in there holding down all the camps lol ;)

By the way, I was in your twink alt's Unrest group last night. Great job of tanking. I literally could have watched Netflix because you took like no damage ever lol.
  13. lovecheese45 New Member

Haha thank you. I personally think the people farming that stuff and cornering the market sucks and they are completely stupid for paying 3-4 krono for the item lol.Ever since the invention of Krono, it's been a cash grab.
  14. Risiko Augur

Before Krono, it was plat. The main difference is that Krono is a tangible item that can (and will) go up in value over time where as plat is worth plat. If you have 1 plat today, it will be worth 1 plat tomorrow. If you have 1 krono today worth 8000 plat, it will be worth 30000 plat in half a year.

So, while plat farming and sales (on the black market) was huge before Krono came around, the introduction of Krono to the game increased the return on investment for farming in general.
    Darchias likes this.
  15. lobos Journeyman

Xanathol is just talking about the PMM's, if no one bought Elentari's masks, he would destroy them. Everyone does that, why leave a polished mithril mask for some scavenger to loot? Specially if thats his income he's not going to dilute the pool.

I sure wish the ferrari store would give me their old outdated models when they made new ones though, right, the old ones didnt sell!
  16. lovecheese45 New Member

And many of these farmers sell their krono on websites :/
  17. MBear Augur

I think you are focusing on the negative and letting it seem like the norm.

Agnarr is a healthy server, and most players are kind and helpful toward each other.
    There are a few percent running around with greed and hate but most of the server is getting along quite well. Even for contested VP camps most of us formed and honored wait lists and ordered queues on several of the parts.
    People are generally helpful and I have seen several examples this week even of people helping each other for no personal benefit.

If you approach people respectfully they often respond in kind.
    An example is a mage farmer last weekend was farming some tradeskill items. Our lower level group came in and asked him if we could take the camp for xp and donate the item he was looking for and he agreed. He got less than he would have because we couldn't slaughter as fast as he was, but we got xp, he got his farmed items, and we all went home ok with the result.
    I can't say for sure but likely if we would have went in swearing at him and berating his mother, he probably wouldn't have been happy to work with us.

Try being nice..it often works.
    snailish and AlaskaJay like this.
  18. Let'sFarmSky New Member

You don't need to get everyone to stop buying from farmers, just a significant chunk of people to do so.

I could, if I spent enough time in CL buy the class armor items for less than they vendor for (along with similar items). They vendor for about 300-500 plat per piece. It's not worth my time to do that though because I won't get many hits.

Just because a farmer is able to sell a jade prod for 4 krono doesn't make it worth his time if he's only able to do it once a week and has to poopsock the Chancellor constantly.

I admit that getting a significant amount of people to stop buying from farmers would be difficult, albeit possible.
  19. HULKMAN Lorekeeper

Just do the Pickzone command its best way to avoid the farmers
  20. Let'sFarmSky New Member

Your Ferrari example doesn't really work for two reasons. Ferraris that didn't sell can be sold for cheap(er) or used for other purposes (engineering tests, scrap/spare parts, etc).

Secondly, selling no drop items is akin to the black or at least grey market. It's circumvention of intended mechanics. Items were put in place as no drop specifically to stop everything in the game from being sold. Some items are droppable and those were intended to be sellable, tradeable, or twinkable. Some items were assigned no drop because the original developers wanted the person or group that killed it to loot it. Not to sell the item to someone else later (why it's not droppable), not sell the loot rights, and not to give it away to an alt/noob/random person. Yes, I get that extrapolated this means that it would also be against the spirit of the developers to.. if two separate groups were in Plane of Hate, tell each other about rots. Another part of the problem is that corpses were originally designated 7 or 8 minutes instead of 30, and you also couldn't lock the loot like you can now. So if Elentari were operating under the original rules, he wouldn't be able to sell PMMs because the masks wouldn't last long enough, and people could also spam /loot or spam click to ninja loot it as soon as he let go of the corpse (back in the day your char would only hold a corpse for a minute or two at a time).

Honestly, the biggest economic parallel you give to no drop farmers is patent troll. No good for society in any way really, just good for the troll himself.
    MBear likes this.