Steam deck and everquest.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by mark, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Gnothappening Augur

Have we gotten any official word on running EQ on linux? I made the mistake of upgrading to windows 11 and that has me ready to ditch windows all together. I don't want to give up EQ though on my main box. All I want is an official word if WINE/Crossover are allowed.

EDIT: I also want to replace one of my worst laptops with a steamdeck but again, no point if it is going to get my characters banned.
  2. Captain Video Augur

Quite a few people are running EQ on Linux using WINE. Quite a few people are running EQ on Macs using Crossover. I haven't heard of a single player being suspended for this. Neither are a VM, which is the thing you can't do. By contrast, Parallels is a VM and EQ will recognize it as such, so it won't work.

No, there is no official word, and I don't expect there will be soon, since they don't want to say they can provide tech support for those platforms.
  3. Gnothappening Augur

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I will risk it with a less important guy if my steam deck ever ships. Something like a mage, lol.
  4. Willport New Member

So I'm new to steam deck/linux etc and have been trying to install. I did what you described but I opened the eqclient.ini and there was no line for vertexshaders. So i didn't do that part. Thought maybe if I ran the launcher it would edit the ini and add it (no idea if thats how it works)?. Anyways, I installed proton tricks and added the command line and when I open EQ its just a blank white screen at the launcher. Any idea what I did wrong?

Is there a specific proton compatibility I need to force?

Thanks for the help!

edit: OK, so I figured out 1 thing. I dont have a EQclient.ini. Probably because i cant run the launcher? I was looking at eqlsclient.ini and that file doesn't hold the vertexshaders. Issue still stands though -- just blank white screen of a launcher.

edit2: Seems I had to open it in desktop mode at first to avoid the white screen. That allowed me to run the launcher and get an ini file to edit. Next issue, keep crashing when I try to enter a server :D
  5. Polekn Augur

You need eqclient.ini. Maybe grab it from your other EQ installs? Also if you have a spare Micro SD card, it is easy to install Windows and boot into Windows when you want to play EQ. You may want to go that route if you need to use GINA.