Steadfast Satchel & Cleric Race Choice

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dandy, May 23, 2017.

1. Dandy Augur

So I thought the only logical race choice for a cleric would be a dwarf for the high STR and WIS. But it occurred to me that if I buy a Steadfast Satchel that STR wouldn't be as important.

I really like the idea of having an Origin close to Commonlands. Somebody recommended halfling for the XP bonus and ability to craft the Leatherfoot Haversack but I hadn't planned to do any tradeskilling..

I'm torn. Thoughts?
  2. SlickRick New Member

Generally speaking race and starting stats don't really matter. Pick one that you like and don't stress about it at all. If it wasn't for the Gods, I would make an Ogre enchanter and be very effective at it.
  3. MaestroM Augur

Race does matter.

Dwarves can't worship Quellios, so they can't make the golden idol for monks (only Erudite clerics can make the required mat).

Humans can worship Innoruuk, which gets them access to that sweeeeeet snare neck w/o having to be a DE (evil). (and you can always be a DE if you want, get a Guise).

I'll be rolling a Human.

Edit:

I made this point in another thread but it bears repeating. Str is not the end-all-be-all of this server in large part because of the satchel. But it's still a very important stat, especially for Clerics. Clerics are a plate class. Plate is heavy AF. Full bronze + weap + shield and you're getting close to your weight limit as a HE, DE or Erudite. Humans get extra stam and str, which will help enormously as they won't have to sacrifice survivability for encumbrance.
    Dandy and PathToEternity like this.
  4. Mashef Augur

Not only is there a satchel but you can grind some faction and pick up tink bags for like 5,250 PP at best faction. Probably be cheaper than Treasure Hunter, Kravuul's and Darkwood Trunk for a while.
  5. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I always felt like tink bags at 5k were hard to justify when kronos are going for 500pp - 1k
  6. Ultrazen Augur

If the Dorf roll doesn't make you happy, every single time you do it, you are dead inside and no other race choice can cure that.
    andross77 and Dandy like this.
  7. andross77 Elder

/thread
  8. Jenarie Elder

But dwarves are sexist. Only males can roll. :(

I started Phini as a dwarf for the str and the roll but as a female found myself destined to disappointment.

For the new server, I'm going human.

I have several high level clerics - the highest is dark elf, a couple high elves, and I've done Halfling and my short time as a dwarf. I can say that it really doesn't matter although having a little str is nice if you want to wear plate and starting with higher wisdom can make the early game slightly easier for you.

It really comes down to... pick whatever you want to stare at for the next few weeks/months/years. Long run it really doesn't matter.
    Dandy likes this.
  9. Dandy Augur

My dwarf berserker on Live started off as a female. Even with a beard they don't get the roll. :(