State of TLP (Possible returning player)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Krylos225, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Krylos225 New Member

Hey everyone! I am sure you get this question regularly so forgive me. I tried to do some digging into the forums and other resources but didn't really get the info I was looking for...

I have been having the MMO itch and figured id scratch it a bit. I was looking at returning to EQ2 on Kaladim, but its a ghost town from what ive gathered.

I then though maybe to shoot my shot on some EQ1 TLP. I see Mangler is on Luclin i believe? Is the population decent enough for a new player to roll on and still get some XP done? What would you guys suggest?
  2. Montag Augur

Miragul is the newest tlp and the best /LFG crowd right now
  3. Silver-Crow Augur

Hi Krylos, welcome to ForumQuest :)

The first thing to understand is that the TLP game is very boom/bust, and the newest TLP's are invariably full of people milking EQ for hard cash, and care little for playing nice.

Have a read of https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/tlp-finding-a-home.260433/ as it may help your decison.

The new TLP's usually have a lifespan of around 1 year, until DBG release a new one, and everyone starts again. If you don't mind doing that and are fine with putting up with the asshats, then you will get the 'busy' server feel, and make the best of the fresh start.

It's a bit soul destroying however if you play a character for a year, only to have the server abandoned as agnarr was, as coirnav was, and probably mangler too in 3-4 months time.

My recommendation is to pick one of the older TLP's as their populations are pretty much there to stay, and won't follow the 'herd'. It's really down to what sort of era you want to jump in to. Most of the older TLP's don't really have a pug game any more. The trick is to find yourself a guild to suit your playtime, hook up with them, and you'll find that guild groups are usually very welcoming and will help you get caught up.

Miragul is the newest TLP, but you start at level 85, which is a bit daunting if you've never played that particular class. There will be plenty LFG there for now, but i'm not sure about it's longevity.

Your other option of course is to pick a live server. My only advice there is avoid the FV server. It looks full, but most of the population are boxes (as evidenced by the recent suspensions where the server population plummeted), and the economy is shot to pieces.
  4. Meridian Augur

You should have no problem finding groups on Mangler. Give it a shot, see if it's as much fun as you remembered.
  5. Krylos225 New Member

Thanks guys! My biggest thing is i never played EQ past luclin (really never even into much of luclin) and don't want to jump into a completely unfamiliar world.

This likely wont be a long term endeavor for me, maybe a month or two max during the slow season of my business while im doing more studying than actual working!
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Alekzandre Augur

If I was you, I would not go to a TLP Server since this is a 2 month thing for you. Go to a Live server and do the Heroic quests (Hero's Journey on Quest Tab). Start with the Tutorial till about level 10-11 (farm drops there for some plat if you need to). The Tutorial will equip you for all slots except jewelry. You can buy some Jewelry in Plane of Knowledge (POK), near the zone in from Blightfire Moores. This is why you may want to farm drops for Platinum.

I would suggest selling a Krono after the Tutorial if you do not have Loyalty Points. Watch general chat, Trade chat, and check the /bazaar to see what people are selling them for, not wanting to buy them for. Also check with people in your guild on pricing. Do not sell them in the /barter system, as these are being bought at cheap prices to resell. Once you have a feel for what they sell for, sell one, and use that money to buy things like potions, food, drink, bags, special equipment, and the jewelry from the POK Merchant. If you have an old account you may have Loyalty Tokens you can use to buy bags of plat from the Loyalty Merchant in POK, so no selling of Krono needed.

The Hero's Journey Quests will keep you geared, as they award good group gear for completion. I did this on some toons from level 1 to 85. Without the need to buy Krono. Make a Trader and sell the things you do not need. This will guide you to zones you have never seen.

Cazic-Thule has an active community and economy, so does The Rathe, and Vox. I agree to avoid Firiona Vie Server. Other Live servers are good too I bet, maybe others can suggest some.

This all depends on what you want to do. Have fun!
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Krylos225 New Member

Well im only expecting that. My lifespan with EQ is usually pretty short these days, but the parts i do enjoy are the low level grouping aspects. I am just concerned that there are no low level groups due to the length the server has been open
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Definitely don't do Miragul as one poster suggested. First, it's a server with limited life from the start. Second, it will dump you into a world where you will be completely overwhelmed with AAs, spells, abilities, etc.

Sounds like Mangler is for you. You'll still have some stuff to learn in the UI such as Advanced Loot system. But overall it'll be minor.
  9. Drakk New Member

maybe you should try p99 if the low lvl grouping scene is your thing; even mangler is almost a year deep, you kinda missed the bus for that part of eq on current tlps
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

if you're interested in the leveling scene then this is very much worth considering.
  11. Kloodge Elder

It seems kinda rude to use DBGs forums to tell people to go play something else.
  12. ayoforYayoh Augur

When suggesting p99 to anyone it's important to note that on p99 you can't even pull a fire beetle without an EQ lawyer there to go over the rules of engagement.

The one and only reason people are there is because it's free.
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think as others said you kinda missed the bus to enjoy low level "pick-up" grouping - which really only exists to any degree for a short time on TLP (players in guilds tend to be quite isolationist) & rapidly vanishes as the server ages & is completely absent on Live servers.

Unfortunately your schedule doesn't really line up with new server availability to fit your stated desires for low level grouping, the next TLP is not confirmed but speculated to be made available in March 2020 - ruleset is completely unknown at this point though there is a clamour for the next to not be a Truebox server (only one instance of EQ running per computer so no boxing multiple accounts from one PC).