State of pulling in Everquest

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ShadowMan Augur

Yet somehow rogues got to keep fade to 110 an necros had their fade nerfed. Despite pretty much everyone in eq agreeing necromancers have pulled since the games inception.
  2. mackal Augur

Whens the last time you did group content in group gear?
  3. segap Augur

Fade at lest fits the lore of a rogue. We are shadowy and masters of deceit. Necros can still feign death for safety (and more frequently); your ability to wipe aggro got nerfed. A visible corpse still looks interesting to creatures whereas rogues disappear in to the shadows leaving no trace.

Apart from that, unless they allow melee to use rest while in combat, all melee really should have a working fade to the highest cap. Not as "pulling" tool, but just so we can manage our endurance resource. Using Escape for pulling is very inefficient anyhow.
    Belexes likes this.
  4. segap Augur

I do all the time and pulling is not required if you have a tank. You have to really, really try to get more than three mobs in any modern content. And most places, you can easily tag 1-2 without any trickery. Any decent group geared tank can handle three.

My experience with "pulling" in the group game is you have people that have played a class for years and see themselves as "pullers". Because of that label, they see no other way to play the game and insist on pulling/splitting everything. The funniest for me was a monk a couple years ago. He was taking minutes trying to pull a single, using moving mountains, fd, etc. I got tired of it, ran ahead of him, shot an arrow (as a rogue) and got a single mob. He asked me how I did that. My reply was I picked the one that wouldn't path through the aggro radius of the others. The game today is much simpler than many are trying to imagine it.
    Sheex, Gundolin and Belexes like this.
  5. Belexes ForumQuester

It seems the art of pulling has gone away. It is real easy to pull singles if you have to. You don't even need a real puller class. There are MANY ways to pull and some include using spells, etc., that were not designed for pulling. If you only know of one way to pull, then you might have issues.

Even with the level caps, it is still very easy to pull singles in the latest expansion. I can use rogue, sk, and other non-pulling classes to do this. I agree with Seagap. Know your zones, know your mobs and know your camps. Rediscover the art of Pulling.

With a puller class like a ranger, pulling is cake. I can pull singles just about anywhere I want. With my SK, I can pull doubles or triples anytime I want. :p

I have had the experience Segap has. I was in a group where the "puller" was a pulling class, but was not pulling well. I asked as a rogue if I could pull and proceeded to pull just fine.

Some zones are dungeons and have good mob density. Those who are used to taking their 3,4 or 6 box groups into open world zones where you set up a camp and don't have aggro issues pulling roaming single mobs and don't know more than one way to pull, will have issues.
  6. Gundolin Augur

I have done most of the Partisan and Mercenary tasks with BL, BL, Mag, Sham, Cleric, Anyone. 1 cleric in TBM raid gear and 1 BL in TBM raid gear, no one in EOK raid gear, and looking at the stats there isn't much difference between EoK group and TBM raid gear. Much of the time we were all using rank 1 version EoK spells. Really not that hard, but we do have a full group at most 1 boxed magician, and 1 merc.

A lot of the group quests are do not lock on request, makes it fairly easy to start and add people as you go. With a full party EoK content is very playable with group gear. My GUESS is that a lot of EoK seems to be geared toward a party of 3 players and 3 mercs.
    Sheex likes this.
  7. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

A few days ago? I've got a lot of alts that haven't set foot in a raid. With any reasonable semblance of a group of real players (or even boxes), the majority of the group game has been trivial enough for quite awhile. EQ is still designed around having a few real bodies in an actual group, though, so I'm not talking about moloing or merc heavy groups and such. 4-6 real players of a any kind of feasible class makeup generally can just tag things and kill what comes, and have been for quite awhile.

When was the last zone that splitting was really necessary? Arx in a few rooms? Argin-hiz mines? Honestly can't remember. Raid gear obviously makes it easier, but the gap between grp/raid gear has also never been smaller.
    svann and Gundolin like this.
  8. ShadowMan Augur

Having feign death had nothing to do with the nerf as both monks and shadow knights also have fd and kept their fade exactly like it was except for the new level cap that everyone had forced on them.

Necros were nerfed twice for zero reason. First they put our cap lower than every other puller in the game 108 verses 110 like it should have been if that was the max for the other pulling capable classes. And we are the only class that had their fade % lowered when it wasn't broken it was designed for 100% for years then someone else comes in and says nope i don't think so for absolutely no reason which was horseshit. No other class had their fade % nerfed except for the classes who fade % was broken and working higher than it was intended due to bugs.