State of Class Balance?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Toxicaust, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Toxicaust Journeyman

Thinking about jumping back in. I have the following classes leveled to 105 with max AA from a couple expansions back and I'm wondering how they're all doing in terms of class balance:
    • Shaman
    • Monk
    • Necromancer
    • Shadowknight
    Mostly wondering how they fair in group/raid content per their respective roles. Further, how well are Necros able to solo Nameds these days?
  2. Aurastrider Augur

I feel SK's are probably about where they were when you left. Maybe slightly less powerful with more changes to swarming abilities but overall probably no significant power difference.

Shaman did get a nerf that upset a lot of the players but this was in regards to some boosts they got or at least I think this is the case so they are probably about where they were when you last played.

I have not heard of any significant monk nerfs but could be wrong?

Necro's are still waiting for their dot revamp. Also they made some changes to swarm pets that you may or may not have been around for. You can no longer stack them which from watching a necro friend pre nerf he was easily able to take down named mobs by keeping swarm pets on the named and laying down the dot hammer. I imagine they can still do well if you are skilled but they are probably less powerful than they were a couple years ago.
  3. Toxicaust Journeyman

Shamans got a nerf to damage, or healing, or both?

Shame about necros. Nerfed for life it seems.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

I am pretty sure the Shaman nerf was damage related? My Shaman is just a buff bot for the most part so I don't pay that much attention to the changes made to them. I could be wrong but they were dps machines for a couple of months after ROS launch but maybe I am confusing them with enchanters and druids. I am pretty sure both of them got hit with the hammer.
  5. Toxicaust Journeyman

Oh, alright. Yeah I only ever really use my shaman for healing. Interesting about dps though, I wonder if they're still better than before.
  6. Silver-Crow Augur

Class Balance is an interesting one.

For me classes should excel at their niche, but shouldn't be good at everything, otherwise what's the point in grouping up? I sometimes think there's too much emphasis being put on the solo/molo game when talking class balance, rather than focusing on what a class is really good at.

Should hybrids be as good as the pure classes no. They get increased flexibility at the cost of power.
    A Pally shouldn't tank as well as a warrior or heal as well as a cleric
    A beastlord shouldn't melee as well as a monk or buff/slow as well as a shammy

Likewise Pure classes trade flexibility for power.

No-one can heal as well as a cleric, but the cleric has next to no utility.
    Zerks are top of the melee dps tree, but other than that they don't have much to add
    Enchanters are definitely top of the CC and charm game, but don't do so much dps .

etc

Class balance continually changes, so for me, I prefer to just play the game and forget about it.
    Focus on the class positives... not the negatives.
  7. Anlak Journeyman

true enchanters plain borring thise days , cc hardly needed when tanks can tank multi mobs with merc healer , pulling is not needed (same reason) , charm pets only good for solo mole or duo , dps on chanters are just plain bad ( even at max , with max gear lvl ) , so in all they are nerfed into a buff dummie state where groups dont need there tools often
  8. bigpapa Augur

shm got a HUGE dot nerf ( about 60 % ) and we cast 95% of the time ------------------->> dots.
    dots were too powerfull in raids because we could stack many dots ( specially boss ) since they won't die as fast as adds. group game where mobs die fast , that nerf was way too much ..

* we used to have raid mobs to mitigate ( reduced ) dot's damage , so dot's was not affected in group game, but I guess it s long gone and wont be back.

* chanter same as above ( HUGE dot nerf ) and again in raid it was way too powerfull being able to stack dots on several mobs ( at least chanter got good dd 's to cast ) .
    the latest * HUGE * aa nerf ( instant cast ae tash ) got a 2 second cast now .

chanter cc ( and other kind of cc from other class ) not really needed now, tanks are so powerfull , they can tank multiple mobs np ( when they know what they are doing and decently geared ).

* druid same as above huge dot nerf ( but at least they have good dd they can cast ).

HELLO class balance ..................................good job , DB.
  9. ~Mills~ Augur

Every class that had a dot revamp is better off than they were before it happened. There was no nerf.
    menown and Sheex like this.
  10. Tappin Augur

Shaman had three major nerfs...

1) DoT DPS reduction,
    2) Alliance nerf (delay in AoE triggering),
    3) AA malo nerf.
  11. bigpapa Augur

our aa burn { fleeting spirit } to twincast dots ( or heal ) went from 20 spells to 10 as well..

every other class got very good dd'd they can cast ***

shm got one decent ( mawmun's bite ) with 12 sec recast time ( 15,390 dd * rank 3 * ) could have reduced cast time, ( specially for group game ( in raid it could be mitigated damage ),

chanter best dd = 30,647 ( lv 110 ) ---- 25,261 ( lv 105 ).

druid roar = 23,386 ( not counting dicho dd as well ), and wrath dot ( who can be cast while gift of mana firing ) who got a 27, 666 dd combined with dot
  12. p2aa Augur

Play the class you prefer.
    A good player will always find a raid spot. Necromancer is probably the class which will be least recruted for raid because of buff lock usually guilds don't want to field more than 3 necros.
    Shaman is doing well, they were overpowered DPS on DPS and been brought to normal, solid class all around that can be the sole healer in a group. Always wanted in raid for the DPS melee group healer with their ADPS power.
    Monk needs some knowledge to be good. The class could seem to be weak at first glance, but played well it's also solid class overall. Solid DPS if played well and guilds always look for good DPS players.
    Shadowknight is atm the best rounded tank of the 3 tank classes. Best choice in group. Solid DPS, best aggro, good soloer. Solid choice for a raid guild looking for a tank.
    Necromancer I cannot say much about them. I suppose they still do very well in group content, one of the best soloer. As I said probably of these 4 classes you listed the one that has harder time to find a spot in a raid guild unless raid guilds have less than 3 necros for buff lock stuff.
    At the end, I repeat it : play the class you prefer, be good at it, and you will find a raid spot.
  13. Sagarmatha Augur

Why do Necros keep saying, "we're STILL WAITING for Daybreak to 'fix' our DoTs?" It has been years now; IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Daddy went out to buy cigarettes one night in 1985, he will come home soon I bet! Get a clue, Necros, FFS.