State of Agnarr vs Live (Not a Corinav xp complaint post)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fosk, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Fosk New Member

Greetings. I just started playing again after leaving EQ around PoP (I think). I started playing with some friends on Bristlebane but kind of want to scratch that classic/kunark itch. So far I’ve spent all my time in PoK and around Crescent Reach/Brightnore and am already 33 on Sham/Bard/SK box.

My question is really this:

Is it worth starting new on Agnarr? Are there still pickup groups available at low levels? Or should I just 2-3 box on live and play classic zones? Or is there a 3rd option I’m not considering?

I tried Corinav and I just can’t do it. I’m getting frustrated not being able to access the content in a timely manner, aka leveling is way too slow for what I’m looking to do. It’s awesome that there are groups even doing Orc Hill in Gfay, but I spent 5 hours last night and got to level 3 on a Mage/Cleric box. Honestly, if XP on Corinav was faster, it would be perfect.
    snailish likes this.
  2. cynosis New Member

we started agnarr about 2 weeks ago with 2 ench/wiz/cleric/war we are alrdy almost 60. Join us, drop me a message. Cynchant is the name.
    Fosk likes this.
  3. snailish Augur

On live XP will be way faster. If you are playing an old account you probably can claim some veteran rewards: Lesson of the devoted is a daily 30 minute XP boost (last time I played with it). Makes it easy to play in short bursts and level... whether one character or a whole slate. *Just note that the # of characters that can claim veteran rewards is limited related to the paid years on your account.

TSS zone experience is high so it is easy to level to 75.
    Hotzones make leveling easy, especially when the offered levels are good for the purpose.
    Mercenaries can carry any class easily into to 50s if not higher.
    Defiant gear is so crazy overpowered under level 70...
    Skinspikes and various other potions.
    Get in a guild and you likely have someone to level with, or they will at least help you from time to time.
    You get the benefit of all content, all future content.

Agnarr you get the lock at PoP. The game isn't that bloated at this lock. Some features are absent but most of the core stuff, and the feel of old eq is mostly there. Presently there is high population on Agnarr, though it is skewing to 55+. Some old content will always be valid on Agnarr. Eventually you can have best in slot in every slot and all your AA (then what?).

So it depends what you think you want. With more playtime, I would likely play on multiple servers. Presently I am happy on Agnarr and hoping some population continues well into the lock.
  4. Turinbar Augur

I'm out when my sub lapses. Tried xp'ing again in the hole, docks area where most mobs were red and yellow cons. 20 percent in 2 hours...sorry that is not going to fly. Unless you have some amazing group comp with incredible pet dps and mana batteries for casters the xp grind is just slow as watching paint dry. 3 more lvls to 50 plus buffer....not in any reasonable time frame w/ xp like that.
  5. Candystore Augur

If you're just going to solo, live servers are way more accessible, and by extension more fun. You start out on Crescent which is an amazing zone, you will get quests worth doing, you will have access to mercs, XP will be much better.

TLP work...on the extremely specific condition...that you have the ability to easily group with others. If you have access to a group through friends or because you joined the server on launch, TLP work well, but they are not fun to play on if you're behind or don't have many friends.

Basically:
    -Live if you're going to end up soloing a lot and/or want a casual experience
    -TLP if (1) you're playing on launch, or (2) you have a static set of friends
    snailish and Crayon123 like this.
  6. Xeris Augur

I've heard/seen of a few people who started up again because of Coirnav and have jumped to Agnarr. It's pretty easy to get up to 60 and join a guild and start getting gear. If you're just solo, it may be a bit tough to group in the early levels, but once you hit ~35-40 it'll be very easy and there is a high population.

I'd recommend it, still very much enjoying the server.
    Sumonerr_Tunare and snailish like this.
  7. Brelic Elder

TLP servers are find if you dont start at launch and or have static friends. You just have to be willing to make your own groups sometimes and not just expect to magically get a group because you are shouting LFG in server channels.
  8. Brelic Elder

yes it is worth starting on agnarr as others have stated, it is an active server and there is never really a "too late" period since it is PoP locked. They only to late time would be if server pop tapered off. Corinav is its own beast. Sometimes servers are plenty other times its rare if you are not one of the "must have classes" as people call them. i.e cleric, tank, chanter, bard. but there are still groups to be had just takes more "leg work" on your end to make it happen. but that can be the case on all servers. With Agnarr you have a seasoned population and a mostly stable economy so might be easier to gear and lvl. best of luck with either choice though:)
  9. Dahaman Augur

If it took you 5 hours to get to level 3 on Coinav, it would still take you 2.5 hours to do so on Agnarr. At those XP rates, Agnarr will probably not be the magic formula for you.

If Coirnav would be better with faster XP, then the best thing to do is get advice on how to speed it up. This will help you if you choose Agnarr as well.

Alas, I'm not super efficient to be able to inform you of how to speed it up perfectly, but with a 2-3 box group, you should definitely target yellow and tougher mobs only. Also, add people to your group as often as you can. Doing these two things will decrease your 5 hours to level 3 to <1 hour to level 3.
  10. tankNspank Elder

Dont waste your time with Coirnav exp, OP.
  11. Brelic Elder

if it takes you 5 hrs to hit L3 on a tlp server you should probably just play live servers or a different game
  12. Dixa Augur

not all classes can kill quickly or efficiently in the first three levels. some starting zones are actually horrible for cash. money FLOWS in qeynos, is hard to come buy in the first couple of levels in field of bone as an example. so getting your early spells can take a bit.

and dont get me started on the halfling starter area. ugh.
  13. Zapsos Augur

If you are looking for a half way in between Phinigel was moved to live XP recently, but the level cap is "only" 75 as we are on TSS.
  14. Numzan Augur

Whats this server like compared to Coirnav? this Ksing Epic mobs, DPS race is .
  15. Zapsos Augur

Phinny have very little of this (we used to have plenty, but as the server matured and all the RMT'ers moved on to Agnarr and Coirnav it got reduced drastically)
  16. Wiff Elder

Just expect to solo to 60 or so on Phinny.
  17. monkypowah Elder

Trust me I feel you. You probably havent even had a run in and been trained by someone in RI yet either lol..in 5 hours you could have had a toon maybe level 15-20+ on phinny (we in TSS, crescent reach ftw) or on agnarr you would be comparable but not too slow. Its truly not too late to get into a TLP which has maturity (players and total time open hehe)

with decent play time you could get your toon to 65-75ish and start joining the multitude of guilds raiding or if grouping is your desire there are so many zones to group in being all the way to TSS. Good luck!
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

I started on agnarr and tried live too. Agnarr is the main draw but i just wanted to try live.... getting to level 75ish and you literally will not group. I was offered to be powerleveled though which was nice, but you miss everything out in the world.

I would say try agnarr. Youre likely to be power leveled but if you join a casusl guild youll probably be challenged and actually play the game in a fun way.
  19. Lankie Augur

Wait, TSS zones have higher XP mod? I've been levelling in old zones still. Can anyone confirm and where is the documentation?
  20. Wiff Elder

Leveling on Phinny is fairly easy, until the upper 40s or so. Then it slows down, especially if you are melee. The mobs hit so hard that you have to sit and heal after each fight, or fight low xp light blue mobs. There are few potions in the bazaar for these levels. The fast regen helps, but you still spend your time about 50/50 fighting and in regen.

I got a warrior to 47 fairly quickly, but the down time between fights got annoying. I started a ranger and it was a bit better, but still petered out at 53 and went back to Agnarr. I never had a group or even a duo on either toon, and I did try. Maybe if you have more patience than I do, or you play a necro or something.

I'm sure Phinny is a fine server if you want to get to cap and raid, then group for a few days every new expansion to cap again.