State of 1h weapons vs 2h weapons at this point in the game.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Apoc, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Apoc Augur

I think it would be nice to have some options for a caster to be able to use something other then 2Her and not have the significant drop off in sympathetic damage. for example

RoF:
    1her
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=111985 - Possessed Dreadstone Evoker Staff.- ****** Sympathetic Strike of Flames IX****** - my opinion the last usable 1her without losing damage. ******************************* THIS IS WHAT WE WANT IN A 1H :)

2her

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=111016 Crescent Staff of the Shissar
    Sympathetic Burst of Ice XI- usable

Cotf

1her

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=117107 Brilliant Sorcerer's Anelace

Sympathetic Alleviating Burst VII-garbage

2her

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=117425 Staff of the First Light

Sympathetic Strike of Flames XIII- usable

TDS

1her

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=118942 Sicarria Auctus
    Sympathetic Alleviating Burst IX- Garbage

2her

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=121974 Magna Fulgia
    Sympathetic Burst of Ice XIII- Usable
  2. Brohg Augur

I'm pretty darned happy with mana procs on 1h, damage procs on 2h.
    Silentchaos and Dre. like this.
  3. Apoc Augur

Your wizard is an alt nuff said whenever you can provide me with some decent parses i will gladly take advice from you.
  4. svann Augur

Me too. I figure I sacrifice a very small amount of burst damage in exchange for a manaback that proc for proc will in the long run gain me more damage when you consider the average damage done per mana unit.
  5. Apoc Augur

Well it would be nice to have at least the option for a sympathetic strike and sympathetic mana return proc for every expansion heck I wouldn't mind if it was a sympathetic vamp on a primary
  6. Sancus Augur

Most raiding Mages that I know (including myself) choose a 2H over a 1H because the mana return proc really is not worthwhile currently. I'm all for choice (I'm sure someone out there appreciates mana procs), but for many (dare I say most?) Mages/Wizzies, the current 1H's aren't really an option. Making them more appealing would not be a bad way to bring back some choice item-wise.

*Crosses fingers devs don't switch all Caster primaries to mana procs after reading this to provide choice between graphics*
  7. Cicelee Augur

Obviously Sancus has forgotten how important piercing is for magicians from the DPS parse thread from last week.

And more importantly, the most important thing any high end magician can possibly have is the Orb of Mastery ornamentation. Which only looks good with a shield. Hence, the utmost necessity for a dagger.
    Sancus likes this.
  8. Brohg Augur

Didn't offer any advice, Apoc. Nor any prescription for your play. But when you say "we" on an arbitrary preference, man, you probably shouldn't get all twisted when someone calls you on some part of it.

Back on "topic": nothing in your post explains why I should care at all about not using 1h ever. I don't, btw. Use 1h, that is, except in ToR mission/raid. Not that you asked before dismissing my perspective.
  9. Random_Enchanter Augur

As an enchanter, I will always use a 1H and a shield. The AC and mitigation gained is simply to valuable for me as I end up face tanking named raids mobs for several rounds on multiple raids.

Now in a perfect world where I didn't have to face tank named mobs on raids? heck ya ill use a 2h for the additional ~100 dps that the procs will add. But that's not going to happen except on raids that just get steam-rolled. And well on them types of raids, the additional 100 DPS doesn't mean squat.

Simply put, yes some variety would be nice, but that variety is a sacrifice of some DPS vs sustainability. parse how much the 2H procs and divide that by either the total number of spells or the length of fight. YOu will get a rather disappointing number.
    Eriadoc likes this.
  10. Eriadoc Elder

To add on to the above post, enchanters are not as efficient at nuking, but our raid role is, in large part, nuking. That's the only way we have to proc CH. So while I don't have any illusions about how great Alleviating Burst is, I'd rather have that than the sympathetic DPS. Mana management is not the foremost thing on my mind, but I'm no SHM, either.
  11. Apoc Augur

So what would be hard about being able to trade a 1h weapon into say a raid vendor and it changes the proc or could even make them totally customizable. The different proc types could be sold off of the raid vendor similar to the mold ornaments that would change them.

On the dps part I'd guess for an enc it'd be around 800 to 1000 dps without doing all the math out saying they are in a group with a druid on a raid.
  12. Eriadoc Elder

That would be pretty cool. I definitely agree that there should be better 1H options out there for casters. While I personally would choose a mana return over dmg, I know I don't speak for all ENC, much less all casters. I've been using that stupid raid mace from Sarith for a long time. Never focused as much on that as I have my shield, but yeah, would be nice to find a decent 1H from this expansion or next.
  13. Silentchaos Augur

I don't think you take less damage with a 1h+shield than a 2h.
  14. Random_Enchanter Augur

With a 1H & shield you take a smaller DI spread resulting in less damage due to the higher AC and block a smaller portion of incoming attacks

with a 2H you block a (slightly)higher number of attacks but take a higher DI spread when you do get hit.

As an enchanter having access to runes that can be dropped nearly instantly if I live to notice it. The Smaller DI spread helps me take less damage in the long run than the small % extra block.