Stat soft cap

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Brosa, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Brosa Augur

I searched I promise.
    Was looking at Tributes today and was thinking about useing Arm of Power and Arm of Power II to increase the cap on base strength. Some one told me that there is a soft cap for stats such as strength and it would most likely be a waste of tribute. So I'm in need of some help finding out the soft cap of stats like strength, dexterity and ect
  2. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Most stats yield less after 255 for sure. I can tell you I have an unbuffed 900 strength, I just trained the RoF ranks and I gained 40ish Attack from the 50 added stength. I payed attention.

There is certainly a lowering of effectiveness on the attack skill itself. Basically it effects how often you hit for Max. If you are anywhere in the range of 3000 attack already I'm betting you are where you need to be.

Stamina, Int and Wis are the only other Stats that yield anything useful by adding to HP and Mana pools.
  3. Xirtket Augur

It would be great, after all the years EQ has been around, if the devs could shine some light on stuff like this, such as actual returns, like ac, str, agi etc. etc. and what each one yields for each class/armor type. Hard caps, soft caps.. all the "hidden" stuff, I know people do some very extensive work on figuring this out for themselves, but it would be nice to see what goes into it.
  4. Yther Augur

Agility adds avoidance AC which is a fairly small portion of the total AC, but at around 1 Avoidance AC / 4 Agi (way over 255, it's alot more <255 Agi), iirc. Yes Sta is by far the most noticeable for HPs, along with Wis / Int for casters / hybrids mana pools. Agi / Avoidance AC is definitely something tanks are interested in.

I still use the Heroic Str and/or Agi Tribute on melee and tanks, if I'm not maxed (5 tribute items) using other things like, Second Chance for tanks, and Bulwark of Honor for all toons.

The heroics are suppose to give more than just the simple cap increases as well. But some are still to be shown, like Heroic Cha.

EDIT: And just to be clear, you can't do 2 of the same line of Tribute, that is you can't have Arm of Power and Arm of Power II at the same time, you just upgrade Arm of Power to Arm of Power II, then to Arm of Power III and so on. It may have just be the way you worded it, but it sounded like you were confused about it.

Yther Ore.
  5. Khoza Augur

Arm of Power and Arm of Power II actually are different lines.

Similarly, there is a Bulwark of Honor II these days. (At least for guild trib there is.)

Also, if you are interested in DPS tribute, this link, as well as the threads linked there, have some good suggestions.
  6. Yther Augur

Those just come in on Personal Tribute (when the rest of the RoF AAs did)? I thought I checked and there wasn't anything new other than ranks when RoF first came out.

EDIT: Well anyway, am updating http://eq.zam.com/wiki/EQ:Tribute with what I can get (highest toon is 83).

Yther Ore.
  7. Kaylord101 Elder

i could be wrong, but back long ago i aways thought CHA helped with how much you get for items sold at merchants and the resist of Charm. but who knows.
  8. Yther Augur

Heroic Cha was suppose to boost faction rates, but no parsing has shown any evidence of it, is what I was talking about. And today, Cha over 150 does nothing for prices if you're at least indifferent faction (not sure higher helps with lower faction, but you get the best possible price with 150+ Cha and indifferent or better faction), unlike the old days where the higher the Cha and the higher the faction the more you got. It does help with charm and breaking charm and triggering of DI if I recall correctly.

Yther Ore.
  9. Brosa Augur

Activating Arm of Power(20 str) and Arm of Power II(22 Str) I gained 42 strength and 38 attack so they do work together. Gained 16 attack with Arm of the Hero (18 Hstr) added to them. I'm assuming my toon has not reached the soft cap.
  10. Fenthen aka Rath

Even pretty Trolls and gorgeous Ogres need love too!

I always remember charisma capping out for effectiveness with merchants at 105, so long as you were at least indifferent. But that was way way back in the day, where we carried steins. ;)
  11. Talif Augur

I thought the number was 115 for some reason, but it's be ages since I had to think about it...
  12. Gladare Augur

Stats became pretty trivial to max around TBS maybe? until VoA/RoF, where the idea apparently is to go backwards. While I'm all for gaining knowledge, any soft caps are pretty much irrelevant unless you're on a progression server. More is always better mostly.
  13. gcubed Augur

As far as I know, the only true softcap in game is the AC softcap.

If you take something like Attack people will talk about its softcap but it really doesn't have one. What it has is a point of diminishing returns. This point is reached when your Attack essentially overwhelms your opponents AC. After this point, the increase in the damage you do gets less and less for each increment of attack you add. More is better because you will never reach a point where you cannot increase your damage by increasing your Attack but the damage increase will approach zero. Likewise, no matter how much attack you gain, you will never attain a point where you hit for maximum 100% of the time. The problem with publishing the Attack "softcap" is that it is entirely dependent on the mob you are hitting. The lower the mob's AC, the lower the "softcap". With an Attack of 200 you are well beyond the "softcap" for fighting a decaying skeleton in a newbie yard. The effects of ANY increase in Attack would be unparsable. BUT with a 200 Attack you would be so far below a trash mob in Shard's Landing that you would be hitting for minimum most of the time.