Starting UI Layout

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tarvas, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

The starting UI layout sucks. My 11 year old thinks it sucks. Devs, please pick your preferred layout and then make it so for all new toons. If that is your preferred layout then Tunare help you!
    Barton-Vox, Risiko and Yinla like this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Both the starting layout and the default UI are terrible.

At least the starting layout has the excuse of that they would have to create it separately for every monitor resolution to get it right.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Much like the parser, there's no point to Devs spending any time on issues already addressed by the players.

EQInterface has a bunch of overall UIs and pieces you can use. A lot of people already use them. Pick one you like, set things up the way you like, and then you're done. You can copy layouts between chars, so once you get it the way you like, you just copy it to new chars.
  4. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Set them up once. Copy the config files per character you play(2 that go in the EQ base fold and 1 in the userdata folder) and then copy that to a folder on dropbox. Plop down on any computer with EQ, copy the files over, and be up and running in familiar comfort of your own setup in a couple mins.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The problem is if you are new to the game, or a returning player you don't necessarily know about these websites.

That said I have never found it hard to move the boxes around myself to the position I want them.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

What you say is absolutely true, but unfortunately, the UI part is the least of the problems.

This 20 year old game has so much to know to be effective and efficient. Somebody coming in cold as a first-timer has a huge mountain to climb. And, certainly, for them, the UI is probably an issue. I just don't know that there's enough of these people to justify the devs working on that. My guess is almost everybody coming to EQ as a new player is coming in because a RL friend has encouraged them. Hopefully, those people are helping get the new guys over the information-overload hump.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its not just the UI they would need to alter. After all look at many of the prizes and other items that you cannot claim unless you are running the default UI. They would have to change the code on all of those items too.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

What would those be? I've not run the default UI in over a decade, and I've never had an issue with /claim. I've never even heard it mentioned as an issue.
  9. Ssdar Augur

It's only an issue
    This is only an issue for UIs without active development. Most of the major UIs on eqresource have someone keeping them up to date.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

About 2 or 3 months ago a player on Tunare was having difficulty claiming the items in the Prize: Spear of Bones pack that they purchased in the baz. Many suggestions were offered in chat (thought one of them was yours) and I even went so far as to buy the same Prize: Spear of Bones pack. The player who could not open the pack was running a custom UI. I was running default. When he switched to default he was able to claim the 3 items.

There have been many posts in these forums where people suggest using default UI to see if it makes a difference in troubleshooting stuff. As I have said in the past, just cause someone else has not heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I wasn't suggesting it didn't exist. Just surprised I hadn't heard about it. That's why I asked about what kind of claims. I've never done anything with LoN prizes, and usually skip threads about them. So, that's probably why.