Starting over at level 85

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Laronk, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Laronk Augur

Game's down so why not ramble

So I'm .... Trapped? Trapped is probably the right word. I'm trapped on FV and I mostly box and I kinda wondered what's it actually like to go start over at 85 on a new server to have the "returning player experience" and I kinda want off FV.

I've done this on a other server before for 1-85 and well there's not a lot of grouping opportunities may as well use a Heroic.

So decided to go SK (not going to box, picked cazic thule server), rolled my guy last night and did my jman merc quest played around with fighting the mobs that aren't the easy con mobs and got my skills/ui/spells all setup.

The whole experience of setting up the UI and reading through your skills isn't very good. Its one thing when you just play the same one or three classes but there's a lot of stuff to read for a new class. I think the game also really needs a good preset UI with templates and it would be nice if UI boxes could to snap together.

I was going to login today and try to make some friends and go do all the heroic aug quests but, alas servers are down =(

So I've complained about the gear gap between 85 and current content, but I played on FV where you could actually get good stuff for those levels in the bazaar sometimes. I decided to check the bazaar on Cazic to see what it was like... there's so little for sale in the 85-110 level range maybe it's going to be challenging leveling a tank. The whole not boxing thing feels weird too but a different kind of fun.
    Dre. likes this.
  2. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I'm not sure how good a sk by itself is going to be given that their dps is so low. After Heroics augs are done I would head over to Gribbles and just grind that for marks. Once you hit 100 there you should have enough to get CotF gear. From there I would go to TBM and get that vendor gear from running Into the Temple. You can also probably get someone to gift you some currency. At 105 you can takedown FM names for T1 gear and then ask someone to make you a full set of Conflagrant at 106. At 110 it's T1 ToV gear from the baz and stuff from GMM. That should carry you to 115.

Alternatively, if you want to see something beside Gribbles, HoT T1 with T2 nonvis from the Grounds + level 91 or 92 should let you take out VoA T1 mobs. You can pretty much follow that path as long as it lets you through the different expansions.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The biggest problem with level 85 now is that you can't get xp if you group with level 116+. There is a maximum 30 level experience gain difference. So if your buddies let you hang with them to get xp, you need to be no more than 30 levels below them.
    Dre. likes this.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

FV isnt that bad ive been on it for years when they did free transfers there originally from the tribunal now bristle but eq has gotten to a point were it is hard to find groups bout everywhere you see is people boxing there own groups but thats just the way it is nowadays. The best is to find a good family guild that way you can find groups and enjoy chats. i have my own guild but i just made it so my other chars can use the guild portal lol. Hit me up sometime and my ranger can group with you he's 117 so maybe now you gotta be 87 not sure think theres a 30 level gap. Oh and make sure to use overseer the xtra xp is nice among the other stuff you can get /over.

Andarriel
    Fanra likes this.
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea you think they come out with upgrade for heroic chars by now.

Andarriel
  6. koook Elder

85 at least is better than 1 on old server, though feerots horrible zone to start lol too dark for me
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

LOL thats so true!

Andarriel
  8. Laronk Augur

It's a pretty dark zone but after the ac aug quests in feerott and house you can kinda just jump into VOA
  9. Dre. Altoholic

Seems to me the hardest part in leveling 1-70 is convenient access to a damage shield (and secondarily, haste) for your tank merc.

Eventually you hit a brief period where four-digit damage shields and regen buffs can land. It's fun to go stomp level <75 mobs with those buffs (class dependent) but you'll quickly run through this reprieve.

Then, mobs start to hit hard. You need gear! And good luck farming upgrades to defiant gear while wearing defiant.

We need something here for solo players to gear themselves for the 70-90 grind (probably 70-95 or 70-100 by the time it gets implemented)

Easier alternatives? Remove required levels on gear. Remove level spread caps for grouping with players.