Starting a bard on Lockjaw, questions.

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by select20, Jun 18, 2015.

1. select20 Journeyman

How well do they solo? I've been trying different classes, none really holding my interest so I'm deciding on a support class which I have never played before. I know grouping isn't a huge option before maybe 10 so I know getting to 10 might be rough.

I do box on occasion with a Shaman/Mage with is fun, so i'm not opposed to boxing a bard with another class just for fun. What class would work well to box with a bard if soloing with a bard is pretty rough?

Thanks for the input.
  2. Kellindell Journeyman

I will warn you right now. The bard community on Lockjaw is not a talkative one. The ranger channel on average always has less members, yet someone or someone(s) always respond to questions and are very nice. Every single time I ask anything in the bard channel its nothing but crickets.

So if you want an active community sub section involving your class, don't expect to get it with bard.

As far as soloing goes, im only 18, but ive had zero issues soloing, and I had a ton on my ranger. You have so many tricks it is insane.

There are a couple basic melodies that will get you through your early leveling. I do /melod 1 2 3 4

Which is Chords of dissonance, both buff songs, and hymn of restoration. I switch out CoD for selo or a resist song if I dont want to hold aggro in a party or accidentally hit a friendly.

Traveling is easy, which is awesome since ports are expensive and horses aren't out. If a fight goes wrong you can almost always get away with a drum and selos.

I don't like boxing, but if i were boxing one of my characters would be a bard. With the advent of melody, if you always have multiple PCs why wouldn't you add bard buffs to the mix?

Because of vanillas chords of dissonance aggro, if you keep it on you make an amazing tank at lower levels, if you keep it off you are an amazing walking buff.

Kellins allows you to single pull pretty much any camp you want if you dont think you can AoE it down with Chords.
    select20 likes this.
  3. select20 Journeyman

awesome, thanks for this.
  4. Jyve Augur

/join serverwide.bards:bards
    for bard stuff. I think most of us can remember the early stuff, but we will be rusty (but are friendly).
  5. Loudshirt New Member

I am looking at starting a new character on the progression server. I never played in "vanilla" EQ. I have played off and on over the past 10yrs or so. I am interested in bards, however most of the sites I have looked at are really out dated. What is a good place to look for basic bard info?
  6. Jyve Augur

Looks like the only ones going are an old archived version of TCH;
    http://theconcerthall.yuku.com/

and the recent;
    http://tch.roft.net/index.php
    But not sure if able to register with either of those 2 now, might be read only.
    Read what you can from those 2, but for info in game, again;
    /join serverwide.bards:bards
  7. KarmaThaKing Elder

I have rolled bard 3 times. I also box, with a shaman.

I have found the bard to be a fairly tough class. It's okay if your finding groups on these progression servers because that is really where the bard thrives. However, their solo ability is pretty-lackluster.

At level 32, my bard is currently my main tank with the shaman. I had to spend a krono to get enough AC where he could handle it. DPS is still pretty low for most even-conned mobs.

Boxing has it's own challenges because right now at around 30ish, there are not many zones to level within. The good zones are slam-packed with many many people lfg on the sidelines. It's a challenge because the groups opening up usually will only have 1 opening.

Bards are a great class for the multi-role use. But there are many many group leaders who will choose another class over a bard because they do not know bard capabilities.
  8. Riptide666 Elder

IMO bards should have had lower level versions of fade added long ago. I am a far better puller on my sk, and even my chanter than a bard on the TLP as far as breaking difficult camps and preventing trains from over pulling. Most of the time the bard just stays in the camp where the mana song + clarity can keep the caster dps cranking it out nonstop.
  9. Brohg Augur

Pacify is the go-to pulling ability in those levels, and is very effective
  10. Malifer New Member

One of the things Ive noticed since coming back from when the game first came out as a bard is the amount of creatures in the game that stun. Most classes just deal with it as a small annoyance and move on but with a bard it stops your songs and is super annoying. The direct result of that is you notice every mob that stuns 10 fold and there is mobs like that every place you go. If you are in a small group and are tanking the constant song interrupts from stuns makes you look like a bad player. I really wish the bard could choose a race that could not be stunned to protect their ability to play songs without interuption but alas there is none.
  11. Brohg Augur