Spoiler alert: Mass boxers will go to truebox tlps

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, Jan 25, 2020.

1. yerm Augur

Fippy was pre krono and it had box armies and rmt. Despite no instances and heavy competition people still acquired and sold dragon loot for real money. In my case I had serious trouble buying a white dragon cloak because all the sellers wanted dollars not plat (and the "selling wdc 25k" type auctions were not actually selling for any amount of k). I actually had the only bcg on fippy at one point (I think nobody believed draco dropped it until he finally did) and got unsolicited real money offers for it all the time.

Removing krono will not remove rmt. It just removes the company from the profits and forces any buyer to go third party. If they ended krono, it wouldn't end rmt, it would just put it right back to where it always was before they added them.

If you want rmt to not exist, the only way is to not have people rmt. Any time you purchase items or plvling from a botter, or purchase krono from a 3rd party website, you support the cesspit.
  2. Zygone Journeyman

Honestly yes certain people will still partake in the other systems but as i said making krono no trade now is a huge blow they've accumulated so much it is what is keeping them here more than anything else at this point period end of story. A low percentage of people will do what you apparently did and feel the need to buy an item from another player, most of us would just earn our items with grouping and raiding. There is no arguing or denying it unless you're involved in the krono trade. This is the best solution and most would move on why wouldn't they the population is higher on most other games without krono the ceiling income goes way down and it likely much higher on many other games.
  3. Zygone Journeyman

They allowed to do whatever they want on amy server for now because they still have krono to fall back on. On whatever server krono is relevant on at the time. End of rant, sorry for spam just don't see how others don't see this easy solution especially the devs.
  4. Machen New Member

Anyone who suggests krono should be no trade does not understand krono.

The fact that you can trade them is exactly why they exist. Darkpaw isn't going to change that.
    Meridian likes this.
  5. Baulkin Augur

Darkpaw makes no money when people continue to circulate 3rd party traded Krono. I'm not advocating removing Krono from the game, or making all Krono no drop. Krono has a place as a free to play currency. TLP is the last vestige of the subscriber model...The community would be best served if it was no drop on the TLP portion.

Yes people could trade the Krono on free to play servers and move them to the TLP. It would be a pain but doable. That being said it wouldn't be painful enough to force people into old modes of RMT. The reason box armies exist is to farm Krono for RMT, and the best period of time to do that is Classic/Kunark/Velious. The problem is that farming disrupts the people who are there to play the game. Let the Krono be farmed on free to play servers, and used on free to play servers.

The way to implement the change is that as soon as a krono enters the inventory of someone on a TLP it is flagged no drop.

Problem solved.

Anything that lowers the total number of free floating Krono in the EQ environment is a net gain for Darkpaw. Every time someone buys one from a third party site instead of them is a loss of revenue. One the game cannot afford.

Honestly... it's a win win for the community and Darkpaw.
  6. Machen New Member

Krono aren't tied to a character's inventory.
  7. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

The shear amount of CS complaints from fraud, "log over to a live server and give me 25 Krono, then log back here and I'll give you your banded armor set" means this will never happen.

Krono were instituted in part to do away with those petitions.
  8. That0neguy Augur

I love the argument that anyone who doesn't agree must be involved in the "krono trade". You know you have a real strong winner when you fall back to that.

However you have changed my opinion now that you called it the "krono trade" it reminds me of another trade where people traded assets for money. Abolish Krono today!
  9. yerm Augur

No man, it was a bad idea and you didn't salvage it. Making krono Notrade on tlps is still making krono nodrop.

1. The value of krono is completely nullified if those krono are rendered no drop. Further, the trust in future krono as a stable everquest investment becomes shattered if the company ever locks them. All of these banked krono, whether its 1, a dozen, or hundreds, are being held due to a firm faith that they have value as currency. Without that trust that krono will still have value in the future people will go back to US dollars, and future krono sales will plummet.

2. The rmt botters do not hoard krono and do not carry them around in stockpiles. They sell them. Selling them is literally what their accounts exist for. They will consume exactly what they need and sell the rest, NOT hoard.

3. The people paying those rmters via their 3rd party marketplaces are also not hoarding kronos. They are either buying them in order to turn around and make a big ticket purchase (eg a blade of carnage), buying them to consume for less than the price of a monthly sub, or both. In rarer cases people may buy them to then make purchases down the line, eg for open plat raids or loot rights, but their intent is to move the krono on the same server and in relative short order. Nobody is buying piles and piles of krono from 3rd party rmt sellers to then hold for future tlp servers.

4. The people hoarding big hoards of krono and bringing them from tlp to tlp are therefore generally NOT rmters. They are probably super active players or hardcore raiders or just a random dude who had some sleepers and aow loot when he decided to quit last time. Now you may have a personal grudge against their advantages on a new server because they start already bankrolled? But that's very different than an rmter.

See above (hard to multiquote on a phone). In case you are confused, my example was a krono free server where I did raid (and had I believe the best geared nec there for it) and could not buy a wdc with plat I farmed legitimately because the rmters only wanted rm.
  10. code-zero Augur

It's pretty obvious from calls to nerf Krono that those people didn't play the live server where for years level 1 characters would show up and spam item and plat selling sites complete with price list like it was the commonland tunnels in /general.

Krono are fine, you do not want the alternative

EDIT: oh yeah, the RMT people would use their their clients credit cards to buy one month subscriptions for the spam accounts. It was a real mess and Krono have been a huge improvement by cutting a lot of those people and transactions out of the loop
    Jontrann likes this.
  11. Baulkin Augur

There are only really 3 paths to combat this kind of stuff.

CSR, Code, or Cash (Krono)

The first two require assets Darkpaw does not have.

What's your solution? Or do you think that the toxic environment caused by mass botters is "Working as intended"?
  12. Zygone Journeyman

I hate to say it but with so many people defending krono it means that I assume most the player base is already corrupt? It's a very clear easy to obtain pay to win feature. These things are expected to happen on 3rd party sites does it suck, sure but at least it's not viewed as being okay by the developers. They can still work towards other measures to stop people from buying plat and items I'm sure there are some good systems for that. Just please for the love of God don't let there be anything like krono on eq3. Pay to win ruins games, especially if it's permitted and or intended feature of the game. Soon enough eq1 will be an afterthought. Here's to eq3 done right.
  13. code-zero Augur

Let me go WAY back when a former guildie and acquaintance of mine was selling in game items on Ebay. He had several folding tables with computers, KMV switches, mouse, keyboards and monitors set up all using the university T1 line to play. This is early 2000 ~ about 2001

He made enough to pay for all that hardware and buy a car and the only thing that put him out of business was failing to declare his RMT income for his income tax so he ended up selling everything.

This was a project that started late in 1999 and blossomed and believe me there were more than a few such enterprises going on back then.

That's the reality of true box, it's easy to claim that everything is this or that program but facts are that even with the primitive setup of guys like him they could hold down camps, survive trains and generally monopolize whatever they wanted.

It may be incomprehensible if your gameplay consist of clicking spell gems with the mouse but it can be done and done quite well
  14. Baulkin Augur

So your answer is "Working as intended".
  15. Jaera Augur

The way Darkpaw Games has it set now, yes. People complain about this when a TLP is going through the early expansions, then it stops once instanced content becomes the norm. DPG has learned to simply ignore it since it will go away.
  16. Machen New Member

It's not corruption to take advantage of features that the game developers created and promote.

You may not like what they have created, but there is absolutely nothing corrupt about playing within the rules and content established by Darkpaw.
  17. code-zero Augur

Y'all aren't focusing on the real issue which is RMT sites. They don't just buy krono they buy plat as well just like they always have. Occasionally after much investigation individuals who engage in this will be tracked down and have their accounts banned and many of their customers, especially those who bought cut rate krono will get suspensions.

Of course if you are one of those people who have nothing better to do than keep a character camped near a crew you hate so you can log on and watch them for hours this isn't going to make you happy. I doubt that any of you would be happy if GM's wandered around handing out bans based on a PM and 3 minutes of watching you
  18. Kittany Augur

My suggestion for Krono is simply this. After one trade, it becomes no-trade and now it's working as intended. As an example:

Person A pays Darkpaw for a Krono.
    Person A sells the Krono to Person B for platinum or an item.
    Person B now has a Krono that is redeemable for 30 days game time and is unable to trade it.

As it stands now:

Person A pays Darkpaw for a Krono.
    Person A sells the Krono to Person B for platinum or an item.
    Person B uses said Krono to buy an item from Person C
    Person C collects Krono and then it enters into an endless loop of being traded and collected.

I have seen it repeatedly said on this very forum that Darkpaw games doesn't collect the money from when a Krono is bought, only when it is used. I would like to call complete BS to that because that money is taken out of my account the moment the transaction is completed.
  19. code-zero Augur

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Krono are working exactly as intended

Changing them in any way would be a major problem for people who use them on all the other servers and would ultimately be a detriment to the game as a whole.

Given the obstinacy which some people insist on recycling this demand to nerf krono I suspect that at least some of them long for the old days when all RMT was conducted using in game plat. I can think of a couple or reasons why they may like that.

Why not instead insist that trilogy EQ have recommended and required levels, no trade tags and all the other things that were put in later? That and instancing are what solves the environmental problems that make farming things profitable
    Genoane likes this.
  20. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

All you would do is move the needle to platinum, anyone farming for RMT isnt' going to accept a krono(s) for high end items anymore, it'll be just pure platinum please.

As for the price of krono it would most likely offer less value overall to new players attempting to buy them and trade for items in game, thus slowing sales overall.

The real issue is that owner of this IP can't enforce anything anymore for whatever reason.
    The only big advantage krono gives anyone is during the 1st expansions to rake in big profits but those people aren't RMT they are just playing a market for kicks. Most of the RMT folks barely have like 50 krono on-hand.