splitting a formal dinner party

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by shimmer, Apr 5, 2020.

1. shimmer New Member

I started 3 heroic toons; warrior, shaman and bard.
    It's been a fun trio and I have been able to handle most of the things I've tried.
    I'm having a lot of difficulty with A Formal Dinner Party, though.
    I'm a rookie with the bard but pulling most places it is pretty straightforward with the tricks available. In the Dinner Party mission, however, the mobs are aggro linked and I can't figure out how to split them. I've tried mezzing, tried slowing then fading, don't have sonic displacement yet. Pretty much whenever I get any aggro I have 6 on my extended target list.
    At lvl 88, the warrior is not able to handle 6 at a time (mobs are yellows and whites).
    I've always done this mission with my enchanter and just AE mezzed the pile. The bard's AE mez is not nearly as reliable (I don't know if this is a level issue or if bard AE mez just doesn't work as well).

Any ideas to split this with the toons available?
    I have a lot to learn with all of these characters so any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
  2. Maedhros High King

bring a bigger tank.
  3. svann Augur

You would want silent displacement anyway, not sonic displacement.
    Mez should work if you are patient. Mezz one, fade, mez another fade, etc. There arent any 6 linked mobs. I dont think there are more than 2 that are hard linked together, but you are seeing social agro. I think the linked mobs are the ones dancing together. Since you are having trouble, have the party stay well back even in the back cubby of the entrance Give yourself some room to experiment. And if you have a merc healer be sure to set yourself as puller. Pacify helps too. Sometimes you can split mobs by pulling around a corner then fading, or fade and hope some walk back before the others.
  4. Conq Augur

They're aggro linked in two's. With enough room, you can split any pair of dancers and bring them in to kill.
    Conq
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Zalamyr Augur

Did this at 106 with pretty poorly geared mage/brd box. Some of them I wasn't able to mez, but in hindsight, I never bought the 106 mez, so they were likely too high of level. For me, the mobs were up to about 3 levels higher than me. So depending on the exact level you're doing this at and how exactly it scales, there may be some too high for the bard to mez. It may be beneficial to attempt this with the group at level 90, where the bard will be able to mez and ae mez mobs up to 3 levels higher than himself.

With that said, it's still doable. In general, just give yourself a lot of room. Park the other toons pretty far away. Ideally, make sure there's some kind of corner between the mobs and where you're pulling to.

My general strat was just to mez one if I could and then see what else came. Run away a bit, fade, mez another one. Rinse repeat. When I ran into ones I couldn't mez, I'd use silent displacement if it could help and I'd pull whatever came and then run them around a corner and try and fade when the first made it around the corner but before the rest. If the mobs don't have line of sight, they won't assist. So if you can get one alone with the rest of his buddies around the corner, you can fade it off then tag the loner. If you weren't able to time it right (or there wasn't enough room between mobs), you can wait until they start pathing back. Usually they won't path back at the exact same time and you can tag once you've got one alone around the corner. If you fade just as they come around the corner, you only need them to space their return home by a couple seconds to get them clear. You can keep retagging as needed. Usually you'll lose some of the pile with each attempt.