Spell skillups, when did they get turbo-charged?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tatanka, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I recently leveled up some buff toons on other accounts, and was just doing a "casting party" to get their skills leveled up a bit. I noticed something interesting. When casting a difficult spell (one likely to fizzle a lot), when it did go off, I would see 5-7 skillups for the same skill (i.e. alteration), just from that one cast of the spell. Is this something new? Don't remember ever seeing anything other than one skillup per cast before.
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

If you're a shaman, for example, you are casting a boatload of spells when casting the Unity buff. Each of those casts counts for a potential skill-up on each of the targets in your group/the target group.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

And that would explain it. I was casting Unity, so I was likely seeing 5 skillups, one for the main spell, and one for each spell which it spawns. When I saw 7 skillups, the other two were likely for the spec, or for channeling.

Thanks!
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

There was a patch (this year/last year?) that made the "catch up" skilling curve a lot faster depending on your cap and current skill. I would be surprised if Unity counted as more than one cast, as each of the component spells are a reflection off of the main cast I thought, each slot is listed as "Add Effect".
    Yinla likes this.