Spell Focus AAs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pistols4Pandas, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Pistols4Pandas Elder

So I was looking to increase my DPS with some of these focus lines for my nukes.

Through autogrant I had 3 of 9 in my Focus: Bolt of moltenshieldstone. Thinking this was probably linear and the max for the line, I spent 50 AAs thinking " the next rank will be the upgrade to my newer "Bolt" ( of Skyfire ) level 106 . But it wasn't...

Are all of these Focus AAs only for level 101-105 spells?

If so... Why?

Seems like completely upgrading the old bolt makes it just below my new bolt, I don't really understand why they'd give us new spells which only match the older ones?

I think I have 5 of 9 in this focus line now after spending 50 aa for 2 more ranks, but the description for rank 6 also says it affects the older line, it's possible ranks 7 or 8 could be an upgrade for the new bolt? But I'm not spending 35 AAs per rank to find out, as I no longer use the old bolt and I've already wasted 50aa.

Can someone confirm these are largely obsolete AAs?
  2. Vinjin Lorekeeper

The new RoS versions are the last rank in each focus series. Meaning, if you want to focus your new lvl 108 spell (rank 9), you'll need to finish off the entire focus line for the previous spell in that series first (ranks 1-8).

I like the system. It makes the player invest in spell lines instead of just spells. AAs are pretty easy and quick to come by so it shouldn't take long to eventually max them all out anyway.
    Jhenna_BB and Pistols4Pandas like this.
  3. Pistols4Pandas Elder

OH ok, great. Just a few more ranks to get there then, that makes much more sense, thanks so much for that answer.
  4. IblisTheMage Augur

Raidloot.com is the place to study AA
    Fanra likes this.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

For the most part. I have come across a few where their description is worse than in-game (or wrong*). Definitely the exception, though. In general, they are better.

* - Destructive Vortex. Raidloot says it decays 100% for spells over 105. It doesn't.
  6. Sancus Augur

That's probably worth testing. It does have a max value set to 105, which probably should cap the crit chance at 105. If it doesn't, it's probably because they couldn't get level caps on DoT crit chance to work correctly (IIRC they had this issue with the Necro epic).
  7. Frogmancer Augur

Fffffuuuuuu...

I was really looking forward to skipping this tab...
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I did use it once, and I thought I was seeing higher crits. I'll have to test it some more. When I look at Destructive Vortex on Lucy, I don't see the level cap. That's why I assumed RaidLoot was incorrect.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that if this wasn't working, we wouldn't have heard about it from all the dotting classes, to have it fixed.

Off to test it now :)
  9. Sancus Augur

The level cap is on the crit chance, not the crit damage. So you would see higher damage crits, just not an increased chance to crit.

As far as an uproar, only Druids get Destructive Vortex, and I'm unaware of other classes having similarly capped abilities. Now, like I said, it's entirely possible the level cap doesn't work properly.

The best way to test it would be to get to somewhere between 91% and 99% crit chance without Destructive Vortex and to then use it. If you then had a 100% DoT crit chance, it would be broken. If you ever saw a non-crit, it would be working (and it would be level capped).
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Wow, you're much better at reading the spell details than I am. I'm nowhere near to 100% crit rate for DoTs, so can't really test that. Truthfully, that wouldn't even bother me that much, if that's the case. As long as the crits are bigger, I'm good :)

Edit: now I see where it's only the crit chance that's capped. Yes, Raidloot is correct. I think I'll put in a ticket to have that cap raised (or frankly, removed, wth is the point of it? unless they add a new rank which raises the cap, but they didn't do that).
  11. fransisco Augur

Aye.
    In EoK, they were nice (spell upgrades). But now this tab is an AA penalty. You gotta pay 100 AA per spell to get the same boost you had before RoS.
    Yinla likes this.