Spell damage??

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Critts, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Critts Augur

I know spell damage isn’t all that important, but why is it that the newer RoS Raid gear has a lower amount then the EoK? At least for the nonvisiables. I noticed last year that this was true of the EoK raid gear Vs. TBM raid gear on the visables. I’m a fool and gear my wizard for spell damage because I like it, however some of the sacrifices required to do that are starting to take their toll on H int etc. it’s got more to do with how I aug, but I just hate upgrading to something that is ultimately lowering the stat I am personally interested in.
  2. Critts Augur

The highest rated back item from RoS is 15 SD lower then it’s Predecessor from EoK
  3. Wizlard Augur

Unsure why, but I don't like it either.
    Critts likes this.
  4. Sindaiann Augur

Ngreth - that is why
    Critts, Whulfgar and Slippry like this.
  5. ~Mills~ Augur

Very silly that they took the stance that individual items are not 100% upgrades. Upgrades are based on "entire sets" of gear. All it does is confuse people, including the devs, and lead to situations where mistakes are made. Or put people in the boat of winning something and bagging it until they have a few other pieces so they don't lose something sometimes.

And RoS bp should be > EoK equivalent bp in more than just ac, hp and mana. Even if that means some stats remain flat or only see 1 stat increase. I should not need a calculator to figure out how I regen the loss in some heroic stat or mod because it was randomly shifted to legs and arms that expansion. All it does it try and hide something by confusion and leads to mistakes that often are not found until later.
    NameAlreadyInUse, Fanra and Sindaiann like this.
  6. Sindaiann Augur

Its a lazy cop out excuse imo
  7. svann Augur

IMO, it makes no sense to call it a set unless there is a set bonus.
    Brohg likes this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I dislike the return of not being able to upgrade an item, because I would lose a focus, because for some reason some dev has decided it is better else where in stead of where it has been for years.

The whole reason everything was standardised was to stop the not being able to upgrade a slot before you upgraded another.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Maybe they don't want us in sets at all, just use the best from this and the last content.
  10. Sindaiann Augur

Nope. When asked specifically about why certain items have lower stats in comparison to previous expansion content, we were flat out told items are considered part of a "set."

Meaning when fully geared are your heroics/mod2s etc higher than previous content? If yes then be quiet and take your net loss on a specific item
  11. Thrillho Augur

Why you blue-bar users continue to play that silly game is beyond me, and I'll be ideally answering this with experience from the oh-so-much-better yellow-bar user perspective. I hope it's the same.

Heroic stats, particularly dexterity for me, are what I base my upgrades on, seemingly the same way Critts bases his on spell damage. Some upgrades have less hDex than their previous, but as a whole the entire set of gear has an increase in hDex. Ngreth touched on this on the beta forums.

I think this is beneficial. It gives a bit more variety to things, and isn't just a straight "TBM is the best!" Now EoK is the best!" "Now RoS is the best!". Depending on what you're after, you can mix-and-match to suit your needs. And if you'd rather go for the latest gear, you're not in a bad situation compared to someone who went for the TBM ring instead of the EoK / RoS one.

Typically, using an older item is going to be at a loss to something else (generally AC & HME). Personally, I still use the Berserkers Ring from TBM instead of the EoK / RoS ones, because the hDex on it is significantly higher than that of the other available "upgrades". I take a hit on my AC & HME vs. any other monk who decided to replace their Berserkers Ring, making them a bit more durable at the cost of a bit of DPS. If I really want to maximize my hDex, I'll have to mix and match the highest EoK hDex items with the highest RoS hDex items. That's the only way to get the maximum hDex out of it all, and it will be at the cost of AC & HME. But that just might be how I'd like to play my toon.

Of course, I don't know how your focii come in to effect with this. Maybe you take a hit with your focus by not upgrading a piece, or maybe you take a hit with your SD so you can upgrade your focus.
  12. fransisco Augur

Sadly, stats are meaningless for casters.
    Nothing really matters aside from a few more mana. HInt? Its joke - again just a little more mana.
    But if you aren't raiding, you will never go oom in any encounter.
    Hdex? Worthless
    Hstr? Worthless
    Hsta? A little. But casters get the WORST returns for hsta in the game
    HWis? As worthless as Hint if your a priest, otherwise its like hchr
    Hagi? A teensy bit a usefulness for defense.
    AC? Basically worthless. The disparity between caster and tank ac is soo great that casters basically don't mitigate (from a group gear perspective)

The game really doesn't offer anything exciting for casters in the gear realm. Just hm/mana upgrades....
  13. Fohpo Augur

Couldn't it also have to do with the level increase, higher spell base damage, better modifiers, and an attempt to curve power creep (especially assuming there's a possibility for an expansion with no level increase)?
  14. kizant Augur

Probably. They seem to make all decisions based on some spreadsheet calculation that only accounts for 1/2 of what it should.
  15. Bobsmith Augur

Hstam > everything :)
    Whulfgar likes this.
  16. Critts Augur

I would say yes if it where not for the wizard visables in EoK having less SD then TBM’s did.
  17. Critts Augur

It’s across the board for non visables aside from the TS earring.
  18. Fohpo Augur

That could have been poor planning, they may have intended to release EoK and RoS together, along with a bump to 110 and then reversed the decision at some point. Looking at TBM -> RoS visibles, is there a significant drop, does it stagnate, or increase in damage?
  19. Critts Augur

There was a significant increase to lv 105 spells via AAs and I think the focuses on items went up slightly as well, but spell damage as a # went down from the TBM set to the EoK.
  20. Fohpo Augur

So that may contribute to it, while I agree there shouldn't be large decreases in damage on gear - it could be because there were significant gains elsewhere to make-up for it. Not that wizards would be hurt doing more DPS than they are currently