Spell Damage & other

Discussion in 'Casters' started by IblisTheMage, Jun 14, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

Playing aound with Kizant’s app, typing in my preferred rotation, and going from my current 1500 spell damage, to my target, 2500, it gave an increase of 1.5%.

Not what I was hoping for :).

I hope to get EoK raid sleeves in the not too distant future, that one upgrade would give me 2.5%...

When I get rnk 3 spells in RoS, that alone will be 3.75% (so a little less than 1% pr spell).

Eyes of life and decay are a 6% difference from none to 6.

If this is true, we shoul have a ranking of things to work on, based on impact and effort, and I should stop thinking too much about spell damge.

Oh, and my newfound interest in dps is because I started raiding :)
  2. Piemastaj Augur

Spell Damage has a lot more of an impact on multiple lines of spells. So, when our Of many line was at 5, 7, or 9 lines of damage it brought a fairly good boost to that line. It also was good for Rains, which again did 3-4 lines of damage each line benefiting from your total Spell Damage. It also takes into account the cast and recast timing of the spells.

The devs removing or lowering spell lines to make them only hit once hurt spell damage a lot. It did make it so our highest portion of Of Many got all of the benefits of ADPS, but neutered its effectiveness with spell damage.

It is still the best mod to go for, for DPS. They just need to retool how it works, or make it so after getting 500, 1k, 1500, 2k ect you gain like 1-2% passive crit chance or Twincast chance when you hit that amount. Similar to what Heroics do when you hit certain caps.
    Playful, IblisTheMage and Sancus like this.
  3. Cicelee Augur

1.5% is better than 0%...
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  4. Sancus Augur

That's a little bit difficult to do because things scale differently. For example, on a full burn, I'm seeing:

0 -> 10% Eye of Decay: +6.14%
    Scaled -> Scaleborn Sleeves: +0.92%
    1500 -> 2500 SD: +2.12%
    Rk. 2 -> Rk. 3 Spells: +2.32%

Worn foci don't crit, so they're going to scale far worse than Spell Damage, which can crit. The benefit of Eye of Decay and Rank 3 spells is going to depend on how much of your damage is coming from base damage vs procs/flat damage additions (heavily dependent on ADPS). Also worth noting you have to manually change RS TTL from 38s to 40s to properly account for Rk. 3 RS.

Overall, though, gear is pretty insignificant for casters. There are a few slots/items that are nice to have, but like Pie said, it really would be nice if SD had some additional benefits to make it matter a bit more.
    Playful and IblisTheMage like this.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

6. RandyLahey Elder

7. Playful Journeyman

*Piemastaj, is what ya meant
    Sancus likes this.