Spell Casting Sublety for Rangers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ruven_BB, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Ruven_BB Augur

Given the amount of casting rangers are currently doing on raids, dead tank usually means dead rangers following. I even pull agro off a mage earth pet with just one dot and auto fire, while dotting classes put on 3 - 4 dots with no issues.

Ruven
  2. Wizlard Augur

Agreed, give them it. It toggles anyway.
  3. Bigstomp Augur

Recruit better tanks?
    Tiggold and Sagarmatha like this.
  4. Raltar Augur

5. Ruven_BB Augur

The point is the amount of agro generated through casting activities versus other classes casting spells is out of balance. Spamming jolt will reduce damage to a class that can be out parsed by a bard in certain conditions on a raid.

Give me the best tank in the game that is dead, he isn't tanking.

Ruven
  6. Everquest Player New Member

is this game a democracy where the players decide what they want and the devs are expected to bow to every whim ?
    Reynen likes this.
  7. doah Augur

weaponshield is there for a reason
  8. Aurmoon Augur

I support this wholeheartedly. Poor rangers generate immense amounts of hate.
  9. Tiggold Augur

At least we know the game is still immersive when people think the problem they have on their raids happens everywhere.
  10. segap Augur

Using "certain conditions" for an argument seems a losing battle. It's actually a good thing that classes that don't usually have a chance to shine on parses get some scenarios to do so.

If the tank dies, someone has to be at the top of the aggro list and become the target. What class do you suggest be in that spot? Seems Rangers with Weapon Shield are far better equipped to temporarily tank than some other dps classes which would just fall like dominoes leading to a much more weakened raid force than if a Ranger were to be able to tank long enough for an actual tank to step up and get things back under control.
    Tiggold likes this.
  11. Ruven_BB Augur

Just was pointing out that rangers are currently not a top damaging tier class. There are some classes a bard cannot compete with in terms of individual damage, a zerker for instance.

But back to my original point, per point of damage does any non tank class generate more agro than a ranger? If not why should a low to mid tier class be generating so much more agro than any other dps class?
    Tiggold likes this.
  12. Tiggold Augur

Yes, every other class out there is generating hate while DPSing not just Rangers. Agro problems are NOT generated from the spells, skills, AA's you use BUT from how you use them. If you chain spell your fire DD while in melee range I guarantee you'll get turned on, so don't do it. Pace yourself, work with the other 53 raiders there to see where they can pick up slack so when you relax it doesn't show up as shaved points on a parse.

This isn't a personal attack on you or your post but I hate seeing posts like these. Essentially what you're doing is saying I am not cooperating with the other 53 people on my raid to discuss why I am receiving so much agro so the game devs need to realize this is an issue and needs changed - No.

What questions did you ask yourself?
    --Is the tank picking up targets late?
    --Am I mashing into my DPS rotation where if I waited 5 seconds I could go all out and not get agro?
    --How much DPS do I lose when I'm dead vs. when I'm alive and paying attention to not grab agro?
    --Is Valhallah accepting Ranger apps?

In my experience there are 53 other people who could tell you or work it out with you what needs to be changed on your raids to be more successful before anyone here will or can. Rangers are doing pretty dang good in our parses so I'm not sure where you get they shouldn't be a top parser. Parses are not class based, they are player based.
  13. Sancus Augur

God please no.

If you find yourself needing to wait 5s to DPS without pulling aggro, fire all of your tanks and find new ones. Tanks have immensely powerful aggro tools at this point in EQ; it should be a non-issue if they're playing properly (even with occasional deaths).
    Reynen and Tiggold like this.
  14. Derka Power Ranger

How are you triggering synergy if you aren't spamming jolting kick? Monks generate massive aggro as well unless they fixed the palm technique, at least they can FD it off though.
  15. kizant Augur

Being our emergency shield is pretty great utility if you ask me. Between that and Auspice I'm not sure you really need to do DPS!
    gotwar likes this.
  16. Ruven_BB Augur

My play style adapts to conditions. I am not saying rangers are broken or are pulling agro off tanks. I am saying is a mid teired dps class is generating the most agro for an average point of damage because rangers are casting for a considerable amount of their dps with no spell casting subtlety. Those of you arguing to slow down casting, do wizards or mages pause 5 seconds each cast?

No because more than half the damage isn’t included in the calculation for agro.
  17. Klaian-Xegony Lorekeeper

@Kizant,

I am officially your pet. Half your damage now belongs to me!
  18. kizant Augur

Other way around!
  19. Sancus Augur

When you make the heal parses some people will start scratching their heads :p
    kizant likes this.
  20. Fintank Augur

I personally like the high agro Rangers have currently. It allows me to alter things in the raid in times of need to get things back under control tank wise relatively easily, whether it be adds or a boss. I guess since it's been changed to be toggled or not it would be situationally useful to generate less agro, but I PLAY FOR THE AGROZ. Also I guess Rangers are mid-tier DPS in the same sense Warriors are mid-tier Tanks?
    Tiggold likes this.