Specialized magic: Shaman

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Thomasofold, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Thomasofold Elder

Hey, just was reading that you can only specialize in one magic? It shows right now all the skills out of 150. Will they just not reach that total? Or did they change it?

If I can only choose one I think probably alteration (heal)? Or should I go for the battle one (evocation?)

Im a level 30 Shaman Ogre
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Once one of the spec skills goes over 50, it will change the cap of the others to 50. So initially only one spec skill can go over 50. There's also an AA at level 55 Secondary Forte that allows you to raise a second spec skill to 100 cap. The caps will go up later with higher levels, but your caps will always be main spec > secondary spec > the rest of them. I'm no shaman expert, but I would assume alteration as your first spec. If you end up wanting to change your spec later there is a simple quest called Respecialization to reset it.
    Thomasofold and Tatanka like this.
  3. CrazyLarth Augur

Shaman's have two real choices: Alteration and Conjuration.
    Conjuration is mainly useful for Shaman's who solo or kite a lot. This is a good Specialization to take if you plan on soloing up until around level 35, or plan on using DoT's a lot.
    Alteration is used for almost all of the Shaman's buffs, heals, regenerations and the like. These are used mainly in downtime, but you can save a great deal of mana with using this as your Specialization.
    Alteration is a pretty safe bet, but if you attack more, and enhance less, then Conjuration is still worth considering.
    http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Arcane_specialization#Shaman
    Thomasofold likes this.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Also keep in mind, as you keep leveling, the caps for all specializations keep climbing. Even the lower specs can go as high as 225, which will get you a nice amount of mana savings. So, pick the two main ones (alteration and conjuration), either way, and it'll all be good. It's not the most critical thing you'll need to decide in EQ :)
    Thomasofold likes this.
  5. Bikk Journeyman

For heroic characters are the specializations already chosen? I have a heroic shaman and never realized this.
  6. Thomasofold Elder

Are you sure? Im lvl 40 and they are still 50. I know I can do a second spec with AA's.

Just pull up your skills and see what ones over 50. Should be 1 or 2. The main one should be over 200, and the secondary over 100. (The others 50)
    _____

Ok Decided to post here instead of doing a new post. Does leveling up my magic skills get any faster or is it keep getting slower? It took me 3 hours of casting to level Abj, Conj, Divin and the battle one from 185 to 210 (alteration was 200-210). I was using macros casting low lvl spells (high level ones dont seem to lvl my skills any faster).Is it even worth it to level them? Or do they just make me fizzle less?

Basicly I dont think I can spend the time keeping my spells leveled. It took forever and was boring... I never really see my spells fizzle anyways (or do higher level spells fizzle a lot?)
  7. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Spell skills always take forever to level. I wouldn't really worry about spending time sitting around leveling them unless you have a skill that lags way behind. As long as you aren't fizzling constantly in combat just let them level naturally as you go.
  8. Diorite Not a New Member

You don't mention your server (live/progression) or what your playstyle is like. At current max level on live, your spec caps are 280 for primary, 275 for secondary and 225 for all your other spell schools. On live heal spells are currently very low mana cost, while dots are a high mana cost spell. Looking at some of my lower level spells that seems like it might be similar on progression servers.

So...if you're on live, I'd suggest going conjuration regardless of play style, and if you're on a progression server going alteration if and only if you have a set group and never ever dot.
  9. Thomasofold Elder

I went with alteration. I plan to box my shamam with my warrior.

My Molo play style is /weaken/slow/Dot(I think...damage over time conj spell)/ spam evocs (frost) while attacking. Like I said though plan on grouping with my warrior soon. Just catching up moloing :)
    And of course I buff

Cazic Thule