Special Edition Book for EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This is an idea I floated in a few threads. I am wondering if Darkpaw Games could partner with a book publisher to create a special, keepsake book for EQ. It could be like an exhibition catalogue with expansion art, concept art, and official lore. It can be fairly short - 60-120 pages.

The book could be a fairly premium affair bound in cloth (and maybe slipcased), gilding, ribbon book mark, and premium paper and ink. Imagine the Darkpaw Games logo embossed in gold on the cover and spine.

There are many examples of fine exhibition books (Crown Publishing, Folio Society, Easton Press, Met Museum, National Gallery).

Apple and Jony Ive published this book in commemoration:

https://www.apple.com/designed-by-apple/

I think a book would transcend clothing and other merchandise. A book seals legacy.
    Duder likes this.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

A book would make a statement. Darkpaw Games would be like the only gaming studio with an official exhibition catalogue/coffee table book (sans Final Fantasy). EQ's art and lore is appealing, and a book may garner attention (and purchases) from the broader gaming and art world.

Edit: EverQuest players are overwhelmingly adults so a product like this would fit the market.
  3. Reht The Dude abides...

The WoW Diary was a huge success, i can't imagine an EQ version chronicling the development history (hopefully someone kept notes like John Staats did at Blizzard) that's a little more serious and in depth than the Evercracked video. But yeah, even though i haven't played in years, i would buy an EQ history book.
    Nniki and Duder like this.
  4. Gabrieles Lorekeeper

This would be cool and I think tapping into talent like Fading (The Everquest Show) would be awesome as well.
  5. Rondor Augur

In 2012 there was a physical book released by SOE at the time, containing art for Legends of Norrath called "Sony Online Entertainment: Legends of Norrath® Five Year Treasury" .

I think it's still available for sale, new, here at MagCloud: https://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/442632 . A lot of the recent art used in EQ and EQ2 news articles happens to come from LoN card art so this book may have these pictures too.
    Benito likes this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Thanks for the lead!
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.