SPAM filter...it's broken - Let's fix this!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Oct 16, 2019.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Self explanatory. Please. I beg thee. Either fix it or disable it completely.
  2. Koryu Professional Roadkill

You might need to explain how you think it's broken, first.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Whulfgar like this.
  3. Tappin Augur

Shadow Bans. If you have any macro's that send a tell to a toon when the macro is done, you will almost always end up shadow banned. Spend an hour or two talking about the market prices in game tells will also have you shadow banned. I moved my conversations to discord - it is annoying to wait for a GM to fix it
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

If I send more than one or two messages on my guild channel it comes across as spam. Even if people click me as Not Spam, doesn't help.

tl;dr Universal Chat flags me as SPAM for no apparent reason after sending two messages in rapid succession.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Why would you spam someone with a message when you press a hot button?

I understand in groups/raids (/rsay casting DI on SoAndSo) but sending a tell to a specific person seems very weird on a hotkey.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

Rez hotkeys.. its pretty standard across most server's that I've personally seen. Moist Clerics will have /t name Rez inc.. (or some such)

Perhaps this is what they are talking about?
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Vumad and Bigstomp like this.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

Could be.
    I have them on my clerics.
    Mine don't get silenced though.

Maybe I just don't die enough.
    Edit: Actually, I raid on casual raids on my cleric. I send a ton of rezzes. Unless you're spamming 1 toon instead of 30 toons I can't see how this is an issue.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  8. Raccoo Augur

Using the patcher to log in all the characters? I know that skipping the patcher can cause people to have alot of their text show as spam.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

OP is right that the spam filter is total garbage. Didn't do a great job explaining why, but he's still right.

I believe the formula for determining if your message should be flagged as spam takes a few things into account. One is of course the frequency of messages sent to public channels, especially universal chat channels. But it definitely also factors in your character's level. Ever play on a fresh new TLP server? With tons of very low level characters sending tons of public channel messages, the (SPAM) filter striking down messages that are decidedly NOT spam is a rampant problem. I believe the (SPAM) formula was ironed out before TLP's were ever imagined, so the creators decided it was unlikely for an extremely low level character to send lots of public messages unless they were spamming plat sales, etc.

It also factors in the content of your messages. Especially terms like "username/password" and URL's tend to trigger the filter. I can see the reasons behind this, but most often it's just guild recruiters putting their URL in the recruitment message.

I play with (SPAM) set to show, and then I click most of the messages to open their content. It's extremely rare in my experience for a (SPAM) message to actually be some legit type of spam like plat sellers, etc.

We have /ignore to use if someone is legitimately spamming crap we don't want to see. I believe that's rare enough these days that it would be best for everyone if the spam filter system could be completely removed, and just have the players /ignore when they want to.
    Aeldwyn and Hellowhatsyourname like this.
  10. Cadira Augur

Why is it just the moist clerics? Are all the clerics around you always hot and bothered?
  11. Whulfgar Augur

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I dident catch that before posting omg haha sorry yall.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Cadira like this.
  12. Vlad Diszno Augur

I
    I suppose that’s where the moisture goes from their burnt bread
    Bigstomp, Yinla and Cadira like this.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

FOLLOW UP: The spam filter annoyance is gone. Fixed by logging all the way into the game using the launchpad rather than skipping the patcher.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

This is still a bug and you should /bug it
    Hellowhatsyourname likes this.
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The level of the character isn't considered, the age of the account however is. Certain things like including certain links into chat channels does it.

If a player with an account that is older than a few months is getting marked as spam, then it is likely because people are flagging them as such.

The SPAM filter should NEVER be removed. You remove the Spam filter, then all the reasons why it was needed in the first place will immediately return and be worse by tenfold.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They would proberbly just remove the ability to log in without using the patcher. Not using the patcher causes all kinds of issues, not just this.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I suspect you are right. If there were only Live servers we might not get a return to all that spam but definitely would on TLP servers especially new ones.
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You are correct.

If this is being considered, I would implore DBG to give boxers the ability to launch multiple sessions from one launcher.
  19. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

I've also experienced this bug where /tells or chat to general channels is filtered just for using words like "plat" or "krono" or "buy" .... I mean .... I get why those words would be flagged, but come on! They're used in every day conversations ALL THE TIME. It is beyond infuriating to type out a huge response to someone or message, only to have it not go through. Then you're left pulling pieces of your sentences out to see what is maybe holding it up... it's just so dumb. Remove it or fix it, imo.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

My "fix" above fixed the issue entirely for me.
    Yinla and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.