Soooo ummmm......when are we getting some news on new TLPs?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by RiplyAnklebiter, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I heard the reason JChan has gone radio silent for almost a year is because she's unlinking BST and BER from their respective xpacs. Also she's fixing the wall in Plane of Fire and the ceiling in VT.
    #MVTGA
  2. Digler Elder

LOL, That'll be the day.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Not every expansion will appeal to everyone, the Discordian army themes of GoD/Omens & later on SoD don't appeal much to those who are diehard Dungeons & Dragons & western medieval fantasy fans, but there is a very large number of players for whom those expansions are favourites.

GoD & OoW were big departures from EQ's D&D styled flavour, but arguably so also were Luclin & PoP.
    Nargoul likes this.
  4. Aegir Augur

The close allignment with D&D kinda died out with Brad leaving the franchise. Love it or hate it, EQ couldn't develop further on those terms without starting out originally with adopting the D&D license - which actually was on the drawing board.

Heck even if they did... 27 expansions of D&D would probably bleed the Forgotten Realms lore dry as well, without resorting to nostalgia expacs.

GoD was mostly hated back when it launched, but in its current state, it's among my favorite expacs on a TLP through the whole trip, whereas PoP, on of the beloved expacs for nostalgia freaks, was kinda a let down for me to re-visit.

Back to the Thread,

There will be a TLP this year. I'm just thinking they are using due diligence on when to launch it, so it doesn't coincide with a lot of other work that has priority - and probably hope they can work on it when they all can be on location to work again? (dunno how much California is locked down?)
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Triconix Augur

Nobody mentioning TSS which gave us the master race and some of the best content ever and the only expansion since Luclin that opened content from level 1 to max (in era). It's actually the last expansion to do so. The zones were great, the raids were great, the lore was great, and it had that more D&D style that people enjoy. Top 5 expansion easily and possibly top 3.

EDIT: GOD and OOW were great expansions and really opened the doors to raid events rather than just mindless spank and tank. GOD/OOW was the birth of modern era EQ which is why people don't like it. It began to get more complex and intricate.
  6. Basak Augur

Classic the only good raids I enjoyed were Fear and Sky.
    Kunark was poopoo raids, though I never raided VP.
    Velious I enjoyed only Growth and ToV.
    Luclin was more poopoo raids.
    PoP was the first expansion where I enjoyed nearly all raids, few exceptions.
    LDoN raids I never done. Ykesha Raids came out too late, they seem aimed for mid 50s levels.
    GoD I enjoyed quite a bit of.
    OoW was not great but not to the point of poopoo raids, I enjoyed the raid trials but not Anguish.
    DoN was the last expansion I actually raided in and I had a blast there.

All in all, nothing compared to the enjoyment I had raiding PoP and GoD.
  7. Nargoul Journeyman

Also, a pretty significant departure in pronounceable names.
    Stymie likes this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Are you forgetting Lord Doljonijiarnimorinar ?
    code-zero and Nargoul like this.
  9. theonepercent Augur

What's so hard about pronouncing "bob"?
    Stymie likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

lol cheater
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Someone has a broken sarcasm detector, that someone is you :p
    Gyurika Godofwar and code-zero like this.
  12. Brunlin Augur

This is not true. If we look at the current TLPs starting from Ragefire and Lockjaw up to now. Which is a total of 10 servers not counting Quarm. Coirnav released on the anniversary in March 2018, and Selo/Mangler did as well in 2019. These are the only ones that launched on the anniversary and in the month of March. All the others, with the exception of Phinny and Miragul, launched in May.

This cycle of TLPS is going on 6 years now not 4, and Phinny was 6 months and days after Ragefire/Lockjaw and Miragul was 7 months and days after Selos/Mangler. Im not sure why you think TLPs drop every 6 months. (Ok i do see why you thought this, because of Miragul....but Miragul, a official TLP in its own right, but a classic one it is not. If we were to not look at Miragul than the only other server that was 6 months later would be Phinny.)
    Ragefire/Lockjaw May 21, 2015
    Phinigel Dec 9, 2015
    Agnarr May 24, 2017
    Coirnav March 16, 2018
    Selo/Mangler March 16, 2019
    Miragul Nov 5, 2019
    Aradune/Rizlona May 27, 2020

BTW I have played on all the above servers from launch. Miragul though i played for a total of an hour and never went back.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I am a big fan of TSS, and made a point of referencing the full 1-75 levelling path it has in regards to the LLP Level Locked Progression server concept I outlined in another TLP server post:

code-zero likes this.
  14. Protocol Dragon Defender

I’ve never met someone who only likes the worst raids of each expansion before.
  15. Basak Augur

I mean, they could be better. The thing I like best was the Growth mechanic with the adds from the other side of the zone. I would love a raid where that is always happening but like increasing count. Like starting off with 1 after 5 minutes, then 2 after another 5 minutes, then 3 etc so the faster your raid can clear the less of those adds you deal with.
  16. Triconix Augur

Honest question: Don't you get bored doing the same vanilla content over and over again? I've enjoyed my first TLP so far but I'd lose my mind doing classic/kunark every year for 5 years. It was barely tolerable by the end of the 3 months on the first run through. Even velious through POP the generally accepted golden age of EQ would drag after the 2nd or 3rd run through.

You're missing quite a bit of enjoyable content, especially at the high end (DPoB, Solteris, Crystallos, FC, AG, etc are all top of the line end game raid zones). Then you have very good content much later on with expansions like RoF.
    Stymie, Barraind and Skuz like this.
  17. Nargoul Journeyman

I just want to add that the class development is just so good that playing earlier expansions, while admittedly fun just feels like playing an incomplete class.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah, incomplete toolset.

Some do have an issue with "too many buttons" but they never adapted to streamlining their UI with macro/socials or spam-bars (for the keybinder crowd).
    Like most things with EQ, knowledge is power.
  19. Triconix Augur

100%. Class balance is actually very good now, no matter how many vocal minority groups complaining. Virtually all dps classes are interchangeable and as are tanks. Sure there are nuances that certain adps will be more beneficial than others (encs > shams in a caster group for instance), but that's been like that for years and is well-known. All classes have their niches which make them better/worse in different scenarios and this leads to alternate strategies and whatnot.

Modern EQ is so much more intricate and interwoven that it's hard to choose the early eras of EQ over it, strictly in terms of actual gameplay. There are certain classes which are just awfully implemented in early EQ compared to their conceptual design (sorry Rogues). And this goes both ways - way too underpowered classes vs hilariously OP classes as necros, mages, shams, and even druids can easily dominate early EQ content. This is obviously prevalent in TLPs when you see these handful of classes used as the primary camp holders, botters, etc, which creates monopolies on certain items.

It's just an impossible to ignore black stain on the game now that we have hindsight and know how balance and class power develops.

I will say that the content and world/landscape is better in older EQ and that's probably why many TLPers will choose to do it over live.
    Conelder and Skuz like this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think the only thing I enjoyed from early EQ was how open & directionless it was, it was almost sandbox.

PoP onwards the game became more & more directed in giving players a clear directed path forward & with SoD that was fully evolved into the Mercenary/partisan type progression system all the successive expansions followed.

ToV then pretty much forced players to do the progression in order to level easily & all but killed & buried that more open style EQ had in early eras by making mob-grind so unattractive.

The fact that later expansions are so much smaller geographically but pack in more quests per that smaller era makes the game feel denser but it also seems to make it feel shorter-lived. Outside of the progression systems there isn't much to do bar farming augments.