Soon-Shiong’s NantWorks Invests in Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Defjam1, Sep 6, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

A bit confused: have you finished RoS content in a few weeks, and is now semi-retired?
  2. bazinga Elder

translation.....the dev's that are working on EQ will now be working on the drywall crew of the new e-sports arena
  3. Daedly Augur

4. Febb Augur

5. Captain Video Augur

One place where DBG has screwed up is on the marketing side, and I would hope/expect a new influx of investor cash, along with a boardroom vote, would quickly push to rectify this problem. Nowhere is the gaffe more evident than on Steam, the single largest gaming platform in the world, where EverQuest's storefront page says there are a mere 18 expansions, the level cap is 90, and the latest content release is CotF. I would hope the DBG employee currently responsible for keeping the Steam storefront up-to-date is at least keeping his/her resume up-to-date. :)
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

/chuckle
    Maybe they should start with their OWN storefont: https://www.everquest.com/game-overview
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Resources. Resources. Resources.
    Banter and blather all you want. This doesn't mean anything yet. Once a sum of money worth reporting has exchanged hands, then we'll know something.
    Metanis likes this.
  8. Khat_Nip Meow

You know what that term means, yeah?
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Do you honestly believe the only piece of an agreement is all cash? Controlling interest can happen without a cent exchanging hands. Daybreak is not worth a whole lot of cash, and the value of the company and its assets are on the decline. But this isn't even the point. NantWorks has the controlling interest in 'a new joint venture', not a controlling interest in Daybreak.

You know what that term means, yeah?
  10. svann Augur

If you are implying that they now hold controlling interest in DBG then no thats not what it means.
    with not in
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

People are looking at a book cover and speculating how many chapters there are.

Calm down folks. This announcement is vaporware until something comes of it. EQNext, anyone?
  13. Khat_Nip Meow

If you say so. /rollseyes
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Yup. I did say so. Don't buy into the hype. Make them work for it first.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This issn't the first time their has been EQ for mobiles, the last was a few years back and you got items you could use on your char, in form of codes to input to claim them.

I don't seriously expect anything they come up with to be anything like playing EQ. Maybe the same/similar storylines, but totally different game play/sytle
  16. Tegamdar Apprentice

I have read that Sony owns like 10% of DBG. (Those may not be the exact wording used, but something like that.) I believe that EQNext was shut down because Sony didn't want to allow it on xbox. (They basically created EQ, PlanetSide 2 among other games.) Sony doesn't actually own the ip of DCUO which is why I believe it did go to xbox. I don't buy the whole "The game wasn't fun" remark when Next was shut down. I call BS.
  17. Riou EQResource

They only bought the 10% to likely get DBG to make H1Z1 a PS4 console exclusive (since PUBG is xbox one console exclusive)

Sony doesn't own any of DBG's IP, they sold all the IP, the facility, staff, etc when they sold then-SOE to the new owners
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  18. Metanis Bad Company

Hard to see this as anything but a net positive for the EQ franchise. But realistically, I suspect the mobile games will be mostly unrecognizable to existing players. Nothing wrong with that though. Wouldn't it be hard to publicly advertise for the new mobile game while letting the existing codebase die? In other words, there might be slightly more executive interest in keeping legacy EQ alive and thriving.
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

Hatch the dragon? (tap 1000 times on a dragon egg to hatch Gorenaire).
  20. Geroblue Augur

And don't forget there is/was a paper and pencil rpg called Everquest. I have 3 of the books... somewhere in a storage box in my shed.