Soo... player pets...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nurfz, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tegila Augur

and it wasnt landing on pets last year long after the "fix" either, fyi.

an oversight IS a mistake. it's a mistake that was overlooked. be it using a spell that's coded to ignore pets because yo udidnt realize that particular spell ignores pets, or you put the wrong number in this line or that line or wahtever. it was an oversight, not an intentional mechanic.

now, you can argue with yoruself 'cause im going back to the game. my point was made whethery ou like it or want to see it or not, it was never directwed at you but at the subject at hand so i have no further itnerest in wasting time arguingwith another mage groupie
  2. Jalany Elder

The subject at hand was nerfing pets when it should have been fixing tanks. so your point was on the wrong subject... as a matter of fact the entire thread has been on the wrong subject and against forum rules. And still waiting for proof pets ignore ae's.
    silku likes this.
  3. Warpiggs Augur

Any player summoned/charmed pet should not be able to reliably tank any Raid Boss, it's that simple. Don't care if you disagree with me or not. I could really care less. Obviously that is my own opinion.
  4. silku Augur

I'm absolutely fine with pets being able to tank the content they can currently tank. I think though that if a pet can tank X mob, then a player tank in T1 group gear should be able to do the same.
  5. Explicit Augur

Basically, this is correct.

Using the "lol learn to play your class" argument, as some people enjoy, to counter it is pretty uninformed. I'm a raid geared warrior, I don't have problems tanking -anything- outside the realm of raids so I have no "pet envy" so to speak...but let's look at group geared warriors -- they're struggling.

It would seem that they are being heavily out-shined by pets, which may or may not be the issue the OP was getting at. Does that mean pets should get nerfed? Nah, but as countless other people stated...GROUP tanks (namely warriors as they have ZERO utility) need a boost. There's enough threads covering that particular issue though, much like there was already a thread sort of covering -this- one.

I'm speculating that the entirety of the problem lies within the group game (with group geared players). I know that in my guild if there is a tank LFG he does not get passed over because a bunch of guildies are using Voragath's pet to tank instead, tanks are welcomed and preferred - and that's about as much experience as I have with the subject.
    silku likes this.
  6. Jalany Elder

It's not just a "lol learn to play you class" argument. people seem to think that if they make a tank, PL it to max level, give it maybe 2k aa and group gear it should be able to tank like a pet.... Pet has probably 4k in aa spent on it as well as gear and a mage backing it up. If said tank goes out and gets some ac augs and some more aa then sure you should be able to out tank a pet(and in every experience i've seen you do)

Pets should/are/supposed to be able to tank raids so we don't care if your personal opinion is that they shouldn't, thats your opinion and your entitled to it but Sony has said that they agree with us.
  7. fransisco Augur

Rep Michele Bochmann - who has vowed to never use logic or reasoning, quite often starts slanderous calls with "I'm just saying" or "Don't you think?"
    Next time the OP needs a better name to hide behind.
  8. wingz-83 Augur

I personally suspect that since Raid mechanics are being introduced into the group game that this is becoming more and more of an issue.

This was originally posted by Shiftee in another thread but I knew that since people always make the claim that it doesn't happen or claim ignorance as to which mechanics are being broken. :

"How pets bypass mechanics and make it easier to tank a raid mob with them - the short version:

1)Mez/charm/banish/silence/amnesia and other detrimental effects do not land on pets, and if they do land on the pet it has no detrimental impact. In addition to this the pets participating in a portion of the script.

Example: (debuff) Pet aggro is not reliant on aggro discs therefore a pet isn't crippled by the inability to use them - see amnesia and warrior discs. A pets defensive ability isn't hampered by short range effects like amnesia which disable the tanks ability to click final stand/fort/deflection/mantle.

2) By virtue of eq mechanics pets are more expendable than players.

Example: A warrior/knight doesn't have a doppleganger of themselves stored that is fully buffed and can be summoned at will to rejoin the fray immediately after death. Nor is the newly (pocketed) pet suffering from rez effects, endurance/mana restrictions to activate abilities upon death - it is ready to go right off the bat.

3) Pets work well in unison.

Example: When one pet dies the next likely culprit for aggro if no one is in range of the Raid boss is another pet involved in the pet melee fray due to their extremely high aggro. This allows time for another pet to be either be brought back from suspension or for the mage to recast a new one and send it back into the pet zerg which is not suffering rez penalties (greatly decreasing passive melee and proc aggro) or the endurance/mana restriction on death.

4) Raid mobs can only do enough damage in a combat round to kill 1 target sans rampage. A large swarm of strong taunting pets share aggro and tanking responsibilities.

Example: Essentially what this means is that when a rumbling servant or similar pet is sent in they have incredible aggro and very good mitigation/hp (whatever it is). This is a temporary pet that can be recast over and over as the recast allows by several different mages. This pet gets rounded? No biggie it was just a bit of mana anyways. And even more vital as this pet either takes aggro or does its thing allowing more time for the mage to refresh things like aegis or proc a new iceflame rune.

Kill off one temporary pet move on to the next one and get your primary pet ready for action.

5) When a raid is low on healers. A pet tank turns its owner into a secondary or even primary healing class while it is alive.

the knight tank/healer hybrids have to deal with channeling their spells while getting beat on. The mage is providing this benefit at range.

6) Scripted events are not going to call out pets. While the main tank on a mob is often ignored for script mechanics the second tank is not. A second warrior has to be in range to gain his aggro and keep himself on the hate list in a position to snap aggro. Jobobar doesn't have to run away when prompted and lose its place on the hate list and then try to rebuild it.

I'm pressed for time but you get the idea. These advantages entice guilds to employ the the tactic of pet tanking if and when a mob is doing some really strong damage to their tanks.

Until something changes guilds are going to continue to do this. It has a vast array of upsides and the downsides are often overlooked when you consider it is often the difference between winning an event and collecting loot or waiting 20 minutes on fortitude and deflection refreshes after a wipe."
  9. Amor Augur

Guilds that use that method are only hurting themselves in the long run. Let them shoot themselves in the foot since apparently their tanks and healers are not good to begin with.

Amorcen
    Pirlo likes this.
  10. Piestro Augur

And locked. Let's not start this thread on the weekend again, if it does happen we'll assume you folks are trying to get posts in when it's least likely for me to be around and moderator action will be escalated accordingly.
    Cakvala, Pirlo and Vouivre like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.