Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Roshen Brand Manager

There are no plans to change Krono in any way.
  2. Rickoshay Journeyman

Thank you for your reassurances that EQ will continue, Roshen and RadarX. I'm looking forward to many more happy years in Norrath and adjacent environs.
  3. Sinzz Augur

thing is everquest does make money and a good chunk considering it has provided for all these new developing games I wouldn't sweat a investment company buying soe because fact is you don't make a purchase on what might be you make it on what it is and soe must be in a good spot atm for this , personally I felt sony would shut it down before some one else would.
    Now lets hope smedly and crew can revert all the bad decisions made to eq and get it going in right direction asap .
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Lisandra like this.
  4. KrimsinDiablo New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH wishful thinking here, gl on that LOL thx for good laugh tho
  5. KrimsinDiablo New Member

Think how everybody else felt when SOE gave them hope for a future, and than slammed the door in there face, they even put up a bunch of sales in the station store, encouraged everyone to spend a bunch of money before they shut servers down, this is how SOE values you as a customer. this is how SOE does business,
  6. Garshok Augur

Trick, though, is that 'all access' means that we are paying to play the 'collection' of available games . . . my guess is that with 'all access' no refunds are required if a game is shut, while it would be if someone subscribed to specific game XYZ.
  7. Alaklin Journeyman

Was this the real reason why you never addressed the demand for a classic server?
  8. Fracked New Member

Be careful!! This company might be owned by Romney!! Buy it up and part it out.:( All done so the bad press goes to this new company and does not effect TV sales in the long run, lol.
  9. Serriah_Test Augur

Oh god....
    worst..
    website...
    ever....
  10. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

They're investing in SOE Daybreak because of the zombie mmo H1Z1 and minecraft mmo Landmark. EQ and other old games are having the plugs pulled. And after last 2 expansions do we really care.

http://www.cntp.com/
  11. svann Augur

Will station cash still be valid currency?
  12. Voth Elder

I, for one, welcome our new Daybreak overlords.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot my complimentary video.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree with that 100%
    Yinla and Obiziana like this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would just be happy to have an EQ to log in to I don't care if I have to create new log in accts or if the price goes up.
    Obiziana likes this.
  15. Mtil New Member

SOE has been purchased by an INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT FIRM. Please understand that investment management firms do not, in reality, manage companies for the long term. They manage their INVESTMENT, which is NOT the same thing as managing a company. Their objective is to generate the maximum amount of return (profit) in the shortest amount of time. Typically this involves selling off assets first followed by laying off all personel considered non-essential. This is followed by borrowing heavily against the company just purchased to pay all of the management costs and fees of the purchaser. Once the company previously known as SOE is stripped of assests and loaded with debt (and ColumbusNova has made a quick tidy sum), the empty worthless husk is discarded or sold off again. I think EQ will not be with us much longer.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

All Roshen can do is give us the info he is given to communicate with us. He is just the messenger and shouldn't be given a tough time. His world may be more uncertain then ours.... so be nice and clear your ice! Errr..... yeah.
    Bangzoom likes this.
  17. Kaltblütig New Member

I remember paying $9.89/month.

As soon as the major talent leaves (they know who they are, won't be waiting for pink slips) this ship is sunk. I'm sure the Linked-in/Social tree has been shaken many times by the staff already looking for places to land.

How about you sell EverQuest back to the players through crowd funding!

Auf wiedersehen to this little project that launched in 1999.
  18. svann Augur

See that stereotypical claim doesnt hold up in this case since - what assets? The assets ARE the games. If games are shut down then there is no return on investment. They did not just buy soe so they could shut down the only value they got out of it.
  19. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

It does work, you are just under misguided assumption that EQ1 is an asset. They are not investing in former SOE because of EQ1. Zombieland and minecraft mmo will get funding, then once(hopefully to them) they take off, will then be sold(separate games or entire company) for a hefty profit.
    So if you were expecting a large next EQ expansion, well, the devs ARE working double time, but not on EQ if they want to keep their jobs. Life sucks.
  20. Cordilya Elder

Wow, such negativity in this thread. EQ is a masterpiece, the granddaddy of MMORPGs. Surely an investment management firm can figure out how to make it profitable so that it can continue. Maybe they'll streamline and consolidate. Maybe they'll upgrade. Maybe they'll eventually sell it for a profit to someone who's interested in keeping it going. Maybe a bunch of players should get together and buy it! :)

I had a sinking feeling when I first read the announcement, but maybe there's no reason to plan for the worst just yet. It seems like EQ still has a substantial customer base, which is its greatest asset. An investment firm is not going to want to just lose all those customers.

And by the way, it always amazes me in these forums how many people seem to think they ought to be able to play EQ for free and it's unfair for SOE to want to make a profit. If we love the game, we should be throwing money at it to keep it going! :D