Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Some would indeed be better than none.
    Lisandra likes this.
  2. guado Augur

That's the problem. The weaker and older games in your portfolio suffer. While the income being generated from them increase, the production costs go down. You claim efficiency, but truth be told, more money just lines Daybreak Game Studio pockets.
  3. Parts Journeyman

My sentiments also... can't see this ending well for older games... and all the cross platform focus stuff... sound the alarms.
  4. Krellin New Member

I see what you did there and definitely true!
    Lisandra and Sheex like this.
  5. TibalMurphy Elder

we better be getting the millions of dollars they made off of us as refunds for this...OH WAIT they made their millions they dont care about the time and effort the PLAYERS put into their game.../golf vlap for sonys most bonehead idea in the history of ever.
  6. Corsten New Member

I hope this means smedley is gone. Side note, bring back EQOA and the company will be considered a hero.
    Fessor111 and Lisandra like this.
  7. taliefer Augur

this does not give me warm fuzzies. it gongs alarms.

investment management firms are notorious for slinging sunshine and , right before they close doors.
    Cendharia, Aaikan, Savil and 2 others like this.
  8. Vanrau Augur

His twitter account shows he is the president of this new company.
    Cendharia and Makaha like this.
  9. Krellin New Member

What? Sony has been hurting financially for a while, this probably works out to be a positive for them otherwise i doubt they would have sold off SOE. Hopefully it will work out for SOE/Daybreak.
    Cendharia likes this.
  10. Sostenes Augur

Yeah, this could be a fast flip for cash or a tax write off for this investment group hahahaha
  11. Dibab Augur

There is nothing about this that makes me feel good. I only pray that nothing happens to the game i have played almost 11 years now. EQ1's Norrath is my home and I don't want to have to move.

Now if this truly means more resources and nothing but honest improvements then im excited about this, but as it stands right now im nothing but worried.

Personally i'd love seeing some kind of plans for the future from what are apparently the new owners.
  12. Karthanon Augur

I guess we're all going to be looking for answers for the first bit...I'm hopeful, but I've seen what happens when someone else takes over an MMO (Runes of Magic, for instance, but that really was a pay-to-win situation..)

What happens with Stationcash (tm)? Is it going to go away / be transitioned to something else / depreciated (as there's a ton of Stationcash cards unpurchased sitting out there)?

What happens with my account? Are renewals still going to be done through the current storefront (which is still Sony...) via my saved CC? Are you going to increase subscription rates?

Is the EULA going to change?

Too many questions.
  13. Hiladdar Augur

One big difference is that Daybreak does not have as big of a target on it's back for cyber-hackers as Sony, due to name recognition. Sony, as a brand name is known throughout the world, and brand name where as Columbus Nova is not.

Beyond that, it will take some time, most likely the next expansion, or the expansion after next to see what sort course changes if any EQ will take.
    Cendharia, Horrone and Lisandra like this.
  14. taliefer Augur

i jsut tried googling this columbus nova group..and their website is down. awesome.
    Wayylon likes this.
  15. Polluk New Member

Bring back the subscriptions in Station Cash. I stopped playing because I couldn't afford paying for three accounts and used station cash to buy a monthly subscription.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Why isn't Everquest mentioned here? There will be no further development of EQ?
    Cendharia and Horrone like this.
  17. Sostenes Augur

Hahahaha has this become a request thread for "New Members" now?

There is a very good chance that the whole game will come crashing down in flames and people are making requests as if the game is standing in solid foundations right now lol
  18. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

Those appear to be the list of newer projects still in development.
    But I don't see this going well for EQ, if it doesn't make enough money it will be trimmed out
    Cendharia likes this.
  19. Nytemyst New Member

They should know in general Eq players are very paranoid about the end of the game we love. Would it hurt to have a few GM's in game to explain things or answer the questions we all are gonna have. Instead they make this post and let everybody freak. Tell us stuff like Eq is gonna be around and the new things they plan to do and maybe we wont think the zombie apocolypse is comin lol
    Beebles and Lisandra like this.
  20. Acen Elder

Dont kid yourself into thinking this may be a positive. Every game I have ever played that gets taken over by another company gets phased out. Out with the old and in with the new is what they will be focus on. They are not going to say this because they want you to keep paying why they make the transformation. I really hope that this time will be different. I seriously doubt it from my experiences of this kind of thing in the past.