Some Player Studio Questions!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ssliasil, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Ssliasil New Member

Hey all, I just recently found out about this Player Studio thing, and it excited the crud outa me!

I'm actually going to school for Game Art right now, and as you can imagine - designing weapon's and whatnot for EQ would be an AMAAAAZING opportunity for me to get some experience under my belt. ESPECIALLY for a game that I have spent over half my life infatuated with. Would be on honor working on artwork for EQ!

I just have some pre-production questions before I get started...

**I'll be using Maya for all of my creations**

1.) Is there any specific material type that you prefer? (Basic Lambert, Blinn, Phong, ect ect?) Or are we allowed to work freely in that regard?

2.) Transparency and/or Glow effects yay/nay?

3.) Particle Effects, I'm assuming you would prefer that we did NOT add particle effects, and leave that privilege to you in post production? (I seem to remember reading something like that somewhere...)

4.) Force Fields + Animated objects... Are we permitted to use force fields or animated parts of our weapons/housing items? There are tons of items in game that have animations built into the base mesh, If we are allowed to submit animated objects, how would we go about doing that?

5.) Would you prefer the objects to be built as one solid extruded mesh, or would it be better to build them in logical pieces and >Combine< them for a more natural object flow?

(I ask because I'm not sure which method the EQ engine has an easier time rendering)

Those are the first few questions that have popped into my head, I'm sure there will be more later haha

Thanks ahead of time, and Good Luck fellow artists!
  2. Nolrog Augur

You can find a lot ofinformation here: https://player-studio.soe.com/

Other than that, I'd suggest finding one of the people that posted some of their art and send them a PM.
  3. Etrigor New Member

Main website has info - http://www.everquest.com/player-studio/get-started

In short, you will need to keep things simple. No alpha or glow maps. No animated objects. You can request particles, but they decide yay or nay.

Question 5 is a good question. There is no answer from Sony on it so we can only guess. I would recommend keeping your verts welded together as much as you can- due to the age of the renderer, but it's not a requirement.
  4. Cakvala Augur

5.) Would you prefer the objects to be built as one solid extruded mesh, or would it be better to build them in logical pieces and >Combine< them for a more natural object flow?
    One complete editable poly is what I have been using for all my submissions (most accepted now!), I do build the peices seperately in some designs then make them all one poly once complete.
  5. Cakvala Augur

1.) Is there any specific material type that you prefer? (Basic Lambert, Blinn, Phong, ect ect?) Or are we allowed to work freely in that regard?

The base material wont matter as SOE uses then own design, you are required to create a Material map with coordinates which they use for attaching the materials you make to the object.