Solution to the TLP problem

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Batbener, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Batbener Augur

TLPs are death marches. They are fun death marches, but at the end of the day, the population is never more than on the first day. It's just a slow wind down until almost no one plays on them. So here is my solution.

Make a server with instant instances. Both raid and dungeons. Don't have any friends? Enter the queue and once you hit 6 or 72 people, off you go. The dungeons can be similar to OMMs with a lockout timer, and one piece of loot for everyone once you finish. Don't finish, then you can join a new instance immediately. Also you gain points to buy other pieces of loot. Make the server FTP, with a pay to win addition. Sounds awful, right? It does to me, too. But to the billion or so Iphone users, it's solid gold time wasting. Throw a couple of commercials out there with some big chested broad, and you will have a million users in no time. And then market these people to play on the "real" everquest, and get an influx of new blood.
    Nickatropolis and liveitup1216 like this.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

A voice-to-text chat system would certainly be a riot.
  3. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

www.blizzard.com
  4. liveitup1216 Augur

And then they can put in garris.. forts where we can recruit foll... questers that we send in missio.. adventures to get us more apex... krono krystals to upgrade our gear! Then we can eventually build a ship... boatyard too!
  5. Nickatropolis Augur

would the pug making feature know that certain slots would need to be filled, IE minimum of 1 healer, 1 tank, 1 CC, 1 DPS, rest can be random, or would it be possible for 4 warriors, a ranger and an SK to be matched together and expected to clear guk? Not saying it couldn't happen but it wouldn't be very fun. lol. Or would it?
  6. Grundged Lorekeeper

They should also add a new umm profession or something where you go around finding artifacts and solving them so you can put them on display in your fort. They also need to make critters in this game that you can pokemon battle with...it would be awesome!
  7. Seraphim Augur

As I was reading the OP I kept thinking of "daaamn, this dude wants to play WoW"... Welp, Squeesh took the words out of my mouth! LOLZ!!
  8. Coach_Kegadin Augur

PVP solves all problems.
  9. Zanarnar Augur

Sure because most people wouldn't bother playing there in the first place.
    DirtyWhistle likes this.
  10. Jaybizzer Lorekeeper

I guarantee if they launch a PVP progression server, there will be hordes lining up to play. The Zek servers at this stage of the game were always the most populated, because it was mad fun. Nobody will be leveling / flying through content like they are now, you'll be too busy watching your back for gank squads. And to me, what has always been the best part about EQ and PVP, if you get bored with leveling / questing, you can always find some action fighting other players.
  11. Batbener Augur

I don't want to play WoW. If I did, I would just, you know, play WoW. I want an iphone capable game with Norrath lore to suck people into playing real everquest. I think it would help the populations of both live servers, and the TLPs. You would introduce a bunch of new people that have never heard of EQ, plus you would give some old addicts a little taste. It wont take much for them to be full on EQ junkies again.
  12. Venthos Augur

So, to a finer point, you still don't want EQ. You want an EQ-themed WoW. The nostalgia of familiar art without the same gameplay.
  13. Until We Felt Red Augur

I've fantasized for years about a game that uses the WoW engine, character movement and UI while keeping the gameplay, mechanics and zones/lore from EQ. The main barrier for me getting friends over to EQ is the arcane character movement/UI.
  14. Venthos Augur

And here's my pal Until We Felt Red literally confirming my "you probably want an EQ-themed WoW" post. Fantastic. You really are quite a fantastic bit of entertainment. *hug* love ya man
  15. Until We Felt Red Augur

I cannot confirm what Batbener wants, but yes, I'd be thrilled with an EQ universe with modernized character control and UI. Sounds like he would too. Let me guess, you have a problem with this? I'm shocked.
  16. Vydritch New Member

Honestly, this idea. This is what destroyed the community in WoW and started the nose dive that game is on now.

As far as developing an "Iphone app game" You are talking about thousands of hours from a dedicated development team, something DBG does not have. At this point im fairly certain they have the janitor coding for them.
  17. Venthos Augur

It sounds like a fun project to create. As in, not EverQuest (this game). Volley for an updated EQ game with updated graphics, different movement contorls, quintuple XP rates and auto-everything all you want. Just, keep it out of EverQuest (and to the tune of XP rate, Phinigel).

Sounds like you're amped for EverQuest Next. Which is reasonable, and could be fun in its own right. I'm just poking at the people who are essentially trying to force EverQuest to be "that game" (like the OP here and Batbener). Go post those wants and desired towards EverQuest Next. I genuinely mean this. That game is essentially targeting your demographic.
  18. Until We Felt Red Augur

There's really no place for a WoW-like dungeon queue in EQ for obvious reasons. You don't go to a dungeon, clear it and leave in EQ like you do in WoW. They'd have to instance particular camps to have the same effect and at that point, you no longer have EQ but something else entirely.

WoW never had a great community. Too big, too broad. But things were a LOT better before guilds were marginalized by the guild leveling system that essentially turned guilds from tight-knit communities into huge experience factories where once you completed the essential guild perks, individual guilds no longer mattered. Compare that to EQ where a great guild can be the only difference between logging on and having a great experience or logging on and being able to accomplish almost nothing at all.
  19. Until We Felt Red Augur

I was amped for EQNext, but that train has left the station a long time ago. I'm not even sure it's ever going to see the light of day now. I was one of the people who wanted EverQuest 3, not EQMinecraft, but I'd probably try anything the EQ universe created.
  20. Dethecus Elder

Check out Pantheonmmo.com