solution to perma camp on agnaar

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by xakanrn, Jun 24, 2017.

1. GoldenFrog Augur

Or people will say that the strength and appeal of MMO's and EQ specifically was in the social aspect brought on by grouping, sharing zones, ... "Camp Check?" "Loot Rotting!" "Can port you or rez you"

And yes, it's not perfect, but keep spinning up more and more instances and you have a completely instanced game who's only social aspect is the /bazaar and /general chat channels.
  2. xakanrn Augur

I bet many of those insisting any changes kills the social of the game are probably the mages using macros to hunt in RE and locking down GEBS.
  3. nestharus Journeyman

I don't see people randomly talking in ooc very often, sooo... people typically talk in group chat. What I'm seeing is that people are hanging out at the zoneline that leads to the zone in question. I don't know wtf you are talking about with an instance for every group killing the social aspect. That is just wrong. The little chat I do see in ooc is drama between groups when groups begin trying to steal mobs from each other as well as drama when high level players come in and snipe named mobs from groups.

There is no fun to be gained from random people outside of your group in the zone. None at all. The only ones having fun are the bullies.

Here is another thing. Right now with so many picks, it is nigh impossible to do a CC. When forming a group, you won't know whether you actually have a camp to go to or not. It can take as long as 40 minutes just to CC all of the picks depending on how many people in your group help out. Then some of these groups disband in the case that you don't even end up finding a camp. Forming a new party is harder than ever.

Now, where an instance for every group might hurt is one person moving from one group to another group because their current group is disbanding. The lockout time would be bad. What if lockout time was removed for going to an existing instance, but maintained for rolling a new instance? Or what if each individual character could roll an instance? Case 1, you may join a newly forming group. So they just roll the instance and then you join it. However, boxers can exploit this to then farm 1 instance for every box and have their high level hop between their instances. a 24-boxer could box 24 nameds with level 1's and a single level 50.

People will always exploit and bully as much as they can and ruin it for everyone else. There is no solution except to allow training so that we can kill them or just plain pvp so that we can storm them.
  4. GoldenFrog Augur

A wildly successful EQ launch and first 10? years would beg to differ with you.

Or you could point to 18 years of a non-instanced game, outside of raids and some task missions, that people keep playing and returning to.

"This game has been around way longer than me but it needs to be redesigned because I know better."
  5. Rauven Augur

Culturally that's what -we- as a society want.

The whole reason we see KSing, Training, Dispels, and other tomfoolery is because players simply don't want to talk with one another. They don't want to know each other. They simply see each other as obstacles.

Try this. As yourself this question:

You woke up a little late for work. It normally takes you 20 minutes to drive there. You can make it in 15 if you push it (and still be more or less legal). And you've got 15 minutes to be there. Traffic is a little heavy though, and people seem to be driving in the passing lane about the same speed as the ones in the normal. Faster but not fast enough to allow you to slip by. This is going to cause you to get to work in about 20 minutes.

Now.. are those cars in your way, or simply trying to get to their work like you are?

If you answered in the former then your guilty of the thought process that people who sometimes KS and Train. Doesn't mean you act on it, but you definitely think about. Yeah I get it, most of you are going to answer the latter or some sob story about how the other people aren't driving the way they need to. Your answer to me and the general public here is Irrelevant. How you feel in the back of your mind when it actually happens is what matters.

You can fib to me and the rest of the posters here. But you can't lie to yourself in that case. Anyway, its not to put anyone on the spot. I'm just making a point that we just don't give a damn about other people the way we say we do.

I'm not going into that cliche about how anonymity behind a computer screen makes one a jerk. This is an issue I see on a daily basis. Just on the road and when going to the store. And many other aspects of society. Many people do care, many do not. Most of us (even myself) are somewhere inbetween.

Personally I think Daybreak should give us just about as much social interaction as -we- want and be done with it. Enough with the epeen waving about how hardcore some players are. Or the self pitying casuals who claim they have a life (when in reality they're wife-whupped with a bunch of crying ADHD crotch goblins on a single income). Then make bank. That's all that really matters.
    Jarith likes this.
  6. Rokkeb Journeyman

Or the other option would be to get rid of most dmg wins for loot and make it a first to engage gets loot. Sure you'll still have people sitting on the spawn spamming to hit it first, but if a group is at the camp, they'll have a fighting chance at getting the mob they've worked to spawn, vs the 50 mage who just picked over to steal it. Make it so their higher level and damage output doesn't allow them to win, nor does having 6 automated mage pets.
  7. YouareWrong New Member

+1 for the instanced idea.
    Changing items to no-drop and otherwise trying to alter current content is beyond Daybreak's capacity both in skill and care-factor.

Add an Agent of Change for each zone, get your own instance and go in. It is the only solution to the boxing cancer that was promised not to exist on this server.
  8. Vandross Lorekeeper

Why are you so against competition? Because someone plays more than 1 character they are cancer? You struggle to stay relevant I guess playing 1 character...
  9. Rauven Augur

Competition implies incentives and consequences when one chooses a certain set of actions over another. The current system has neither.
  10. rovvy New Member

everyone having there own instance IMO would surley put a massive drain on server resources? and if so is a stupid idea.

I am not being funny its not hard to get some gebs, get 5-6 friends, head to the camp, DPS race the mage armies, its kind of fun! id also suggest taking an enchanter to chain stun any trains whilst you burn them down, if you keep the timer handy you can clear all the mobs outside for exp and also to prevent them from being trained onto you!
  11. Ultrazen Augur

I would be shocked beyond measure, if DBG did anything that would adversely effect the sale of kronos. They have a good thing going with these TLPs.
  12. nagash101 Augur

worst idea ever.
  13. Risiko Augur

"No Drop" was one of the worst design concepts ever implemented in any MMORPG. These are the type of design changes implemented because of farmers that end up making the quality of life for non-farmers worse.

Instead of making the items non-tradable, how about we just make the ability to get a camp for these dropped items more available? Just make picks open and stay open at lower zone populations.

Who cares if Joe Bob Farmer has a FBSS for sale if everybody that wants one has the opportunity to get their own? Instead, you want to make FBSS worth even that much more by limiting the availability of them to the non-farmers. I'm guessing you are saying, "if it's no-trade how can the farmers sale them?" They will just sale the loot rights. That's how.
  14. Rauven Augur

You're not wrong. But devil's advocate states that if they have to sit on the spawn then it gets a little trickier. They have to sit and kill the spawn, deal with respawns, deal with others who want the camp, and then empty their 1x inventory of the item immediately. This can drive prices down.

If you need proof of this. Look at the No Trade planar gear. At most they go for a Krono, frequently go for free. Which is a fraction of the cost of items found in Lower Guk and Runnyeye, which they are straight upgrades for in many cases.

Its easy to loot a FBSS, BAM, and other high priced items and gate a box to CL Tunnel to sell (assuming the item is lore). You can carry an inventory depending on how many boxes/buddies you have helping. But if it is No Trade, you have to sell the loot rights. Which means your customers have to come to you. That means they have to pay/trade with what they have on them at the time. You also do not have a large customer base like /auction in the Commonlands.

Then you need to make a sale between spawns. That gets tricky. Not hard, not impossible, but tricky depending on how antsy the local population of players wants to be.
  15. AgentofChange Augur

The items would actually be significantly more expensive if they were no-drop, and people would delete the item before the brought down their price. GEBs are pretty cheap because they are crazy common on Agnarr. If they were no-drop it would be harder to acquire because you'd either have to get the camp or buy the loot rights, and the people who can hold down the camps would sell to the highest bidder.
    Risiko likes this.
  16. Rauven Augur

Delete the item and make nothing for the last half hour? Why doesn't this happen with other No Trade items? This isn't how economics works. No one burns inventory just to try again the next day. No when there is a customer that -will- buy it for something.
  17. Risiko Augur

Seen it done many times on other TLP servers once we got to expansions with no-drop items. And, yes. They delete the item before the timer runs out.
  18. Aurastrider Augur

See this happen on live and really have seen this happen throughout the years. There are people who will sell loot rights. If you think you can lowball the seller they will simply log an alt in and loot it or yes destroy it. If people want it bad enough they will give the person their asking price or move on. One person I know who does this makes way more plat than I ever have from trying to sell tradeable loot. In the end it still boils down to supply and demand this just adds the added burden on the buyers having to get to the corpse instead of buying it via the safety of a tunnel or bazaar.

I still think the best middle ground solution is a chase loot style where these items can random drop off any mobs in the zone but have them be on the rare side instead of ultra rare like real chase loot.
  19. darth_void_ptr New Member

lguk just needs more picks at a lower population threshold, period. Spawn a new pick when there are an average of over 12 players and it solves itself quickly (with the upside that it won't be necessary to have so many picks eventually). Right now it seems like most lguk instances are 24-29 people, which is verifiably too many. You still have the advantage of a shared experience and dynamism that WoW lacks, but not a very unrealistic, unfun, traffic jam of being able to walk through an allegedly dangerous zone naked and petrified without being harmed because every undead frog has been given the true death.

Speaking for myself, I just want to experience the content. I gave up on Fippy (and original EQ) because of "waiting lists" for "camping spots". Now I can at least get spots on these camps but they're still dull, with a competent group it's trivial to clear your "camp" and have to sit around waiting for mobs to spawn, with no real risk, just mindless grinding.

In later expansions most of the dungeons (that I remember anyway) are large enough that we won't need this so much. But lguk has *always* been a game destroying bug in EQ.
  20. AgentofChange Augur

Yes, they will delete it & lock down the camp. That way you either pay the price or nobody gets it. People always pay the price with this method.