So what’s the goal?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by dreamer05, Mar 23, 2018.

1. dreamer05 Lorekeeper

I played to Kunark on LJ then it seemed to die. Then played Phini just a bit, then Agnarr. Coirnav doesn’t seem to offer any new rules, so what’s the point? Do they just wait until populations die down then open a new one for a large influx of subs? I’m assuming so, but genuinely looking for a reason to play Coirnav.
  2. Lantherion Elder

they make the majority of their revenue from broker backpacks and exp potions which is why you see the same rinse and repeat servers every 8 months to a year. I'm assuming this server isn't making them much as the population is half of what agnarr had at launch. Hopefully next year we will get an agnarr exp rate / phinigel unlocks / fv ruleset tlp but im not holding my breath.
    Risiko and andross77 like this.
  3. Candystore Augur

Like someone said, they make the money from XP potions and Krono in the first month.

These TLP have a front loaded population that mostly disappears after about a month.

People go into these servers with rose-tinted glasses, but quickly realize they have a life outside of EQ, and can't or don't want to grind slow XP, epics, raids all over again.

Daybreak can do these same TLP a few times, but it's not going to keep working, since people lose interest in TLP because they simply get replaced in a year anyway. And it's always the same content.
    andross77 and Ronzark like this.
  4. Turinbar Augur

I have a char in the 30s on cornaiv...but even with this xp bonus the struggle is real. Not sure if i'm going to stick this out to 50. No way I will hit 50 before xp is over.
    Ronzark likes this.
  5. Turinbar Augur

I think DBG probably has 2 or 3 more years max before the company is sold by Columbus Nova. If Pantheon comes out and is good EQ is going to take a huge hit, or if the classic wow servers come out. NOt the same audience but might draw some interest. I could be wrong but it feels like this is some emergency plan B because RoS did not sell well at all or subs are dropping below some key point that makes the game profitable.
    andross77 likes this.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

TLP-esque servers seem to be the "new hotness" for MMOs (even though classic runescape and EQ TLPs have been a thing for awhile). So I agree that the niche of EQ TLPs is starting to go away or at least they aren't the only ones with so much skin in the game anymore.

Trion recently launched a Rift TLP server and it reminds me a lot of the EQ2 one that we got a couple years ago. While the face looks similar when you delve deeper there are still a lot of underlying issues where they weren't able to really recapture the original concept, whether that is due to extreme game changes or player knowledge it's a hard thing to do right. It's a fun server, don't get me wrong I'm enjoying playing over on the Rift TLP a few hours a day but ultimately can't imagine sticking around seeing all of the balancing issues that the current iteration faces.

I'm optimistic (probably too much so) that Blizzard's attempts to create a classic-like experience will be the best in the industry, though it does make me wonder if this is another clear sign that MMORPGs as a game concept are just antiquated when so many are turning to trying to ride the nostalgia train for classic when current live content isn't bringing in enough numbers.
    andross77 likes this.
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

Don't be so optimistic!
  8. snailish Augur

The trap long-living and newer mmos seem to fall into is making you have daily chores to do while dealing with massive bloat in stats, abilities and quickly replaced things. They've also gone very linear including phased content (you are in the same zone as someone but not at the same point in a quest so you don't see them/can't interact with them) and everything hides in an instance.

Yet the thing they are trying to capture on progression is that early rush of unknown, in what were usually pretty basic worlds that we needed each other to make progress in, that you saw the living population of the community and cared about your rep in it (for the most part).

Ironically, the bones of modern live EQ could be streamlined towards a more classic feel. This would probably retain players on progression longer, and allow for more re-entry directly to live.

---

as far as current EQ progression goes, they should probably try a Phinny 3.0 with double the Agnarr xp rate as the only different variable. My bet is that would be biggest thing ever.
    andross77 likes this.
  9. Candystore Augur

Was watching a stream of Pantheon the other day. When the developers were asked if this game has room for casual players, the devs replied:

"We are going to limit the dungeons runs to around 2 hours instead of having to play 8 hours"

The fact that they think 2 hour dungeon runs are fine in 2018, is pretty telling what type of niche audience they are after.

For comparison, EQ dungeon runs in LDON, DoN, DoD, are around 20-30 minutes, not 2 hours, let alone 8 hours. I don't think there is an audience for Pantheon, they underestimate how small their niche audience is. It certainly will never see the type of audience EQ has.
  10. Nolrog Augur

Do you know how many games over the last ~20 years have been coming out to put EQ in the grave? Dozens. Dozens of games that are nearly all gone and EQ still remains.
  11. FluttyMan Elder

the point of playing on Coirnav is to be playing on the most active server available. That's all.

Phinigel has taken a serious blow since Coirnav has been release it will be empty for a while until people get tired of the classic grind and want to go back to demi-plane - prophecy of Ro...

Just enjoy playing on a very active server, the way everquest is meant to be played. The race to lvl 50, the loot -ing, the camp stealing, the training, the ragetells and the krono farming, no one gives a about that. Enjoy playing on a high populated server.
    Adrienna likes this.
  12. Rhodz Augur

the point?
    but there is no point...
  13. Machentoo Augur

Sure, EQ still remains. Limping along with a tiny fraction of the population and dev team it once had.

Maybe all those other games didn't succeed in putting EQ in the grave, but EQ is certainly on the ropes and it wouldn't take too many more hits to finish it off. If Pantheon took the same percentage of players away from EQ that WoW did, do you really think EQ would survive at this point?

This game is not going to exist forever.
    TeeEHLpee, andross77 and Rhodz like this.
  14. Rhodz Augur

That is ok, neither shall we
  15. Scrax Elder

You mean Agnarr? lol
    andross77 likes this.
  16. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Have you seen all the content EQ has to offer, particularly the raid content (since almost any other content, like tradeskills or most achievements, you can do solo any time you feel like), in era? If not, then to me that's the most compelling reason to play on whatever TLP you choose. I've raided all content from Classic through DoDH now, and have never raided any content from PoR forward. So I'm on Phinny, because that makes the most sense for this goal.

You will have to decide for yourself what you're wanting to get out of a server, and then pick one that lines up best with those goals. Whether a server is brand new or not shouldn't matter much for this unless you have a big boner for the early content (I do not).

Hope you find a good server to play on man. Once you get past the drama, the krono intoxication, etc. etc. and saddle up with a good guild there is a ton of fun to be had.
    snailish likes this.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

Have you seen the livestreams? I'm not a fan but it's pretty far along.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Yeah, but it ain't that.
  19. Poledo_EQ Elder

You're playing a game one of them made now. He hasn't had the best track record since, but why crap all over it before you've seen it? I don't know why it always has to be a pissing match about whether a game is going to kill another game. Or supporting one over the other.

Fact is, if Pantheon comes out, I don't know many people here who wouldn't try it. I also don't know many people that wouldn't still be playing EQ or coming back to it later again. It's one of those things, as long as the EQ servers are open, people will keep coming back.
  20. frankie78227 Augur

The point of a new TLP is always to sell krono. People with disposable income buy Krono to trade for gear. Krono is the way to go as DB doesn't do anything about people locking down camps with their bots. I don't blame DB for not addressing RMT of krono because it is in their best interest not to.