So the loot isn’t actually random, it’s just different?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by WokeCat, May 28, 2021.

1. WokeCat Augur

I’m starting to notice that certain mobs drop roughly the same items over and over again. I have multiple guises and rings of the ancient banked on alts... not because I got lucky but because I know which mobs have a really high chance at dropping both of these items. At first I really did think it was luck but I started to notice that all of my friends following in my foot steps get essentially the exact same items from the same mobs that I did with little variation in between?
  2. Nebby Lorekeeper

Who is dropping the Guise? I've only seen it drop once and that was off the Mino elder in Lguk.
  3. WokeCat Augur

Garanel in Unrest dropped like 5 in an hour.
  4. Shakara Augur

I have a theory that the loot is random but the rarity of the loot is also taken into account. Items that were always dropped or common drops are more likely to drop than the rare items. however there really isent the sample size to prove this yet but just from my experience that's how it seems to be.
  5. Lateryn Augur

Its completely random. The ghost you mention that dropped guise 5 times in a row for you only gave us 1 entire time we were these. 1 ring of ancient too. That was probably in 15 kills. RNG is RNG.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  6. Kumiko_Lockjaw Elder

He dropped 2 guises and some other stuff today in 1 kill
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Its RNG

RNG can be a famine or a feast and due to the mathematics around randomness & chaos theory you will often have "clumps" of none of the loot you want dropping or the item you wanted dropping in abundance.

It's like waiting for a bus for hours only to have several show up in quick succession right after you got fed up and started walking.
  8. Hythos Augur

Rare skeletons in Lavastorm are dropping their own loot most often (gloves, spears, shields), and have dropped Brahm's horn, several of the heal & IVU potions, etc.
    Overall, about 8(?) different mobs' worth.

A slight bit more randomization would be great, but level range + RNG seems to be it.
  9. Larsen Augur

I've camped ancient croc for hours today. About 70% of the items it dropped were from the froglok summoner's loot table. If it's supposed to be able to drop something from any rare mob within a level range of 5 or whatever it might be, that's like a one in a trillion chance. There's definitely something wonky about random loot.

Some very weird stuff too, like a diamond from ghoul magus in Unrest. Many duplicate loots as well. The odds of a mob dropping two of the same item at once, if it's truly random, are way too low for it to happen every few kills. I've had a level 17 mob drop something from a level 24 mob's table, so the level range is definitely fairly wide. That means there should be hundreds of items that any given mob can drop. For two of the same item to drop on a kill is something that should happen to you once a month. I think it has happened to me five times a day at least. That's completely outside the realm of any possible RNG. It's like flipping coins and getting a hundred heads in a row. Anyone who says "it's just RNG" is out of their minds.

If we say a mob has 100 items on its loot table (conservative estimate for a level 30 rare), the odds of it dropping two of the same item are one in ten thousand. For it to happen numerous times a day every day since launch is like... well, it's just not something that happens, if it was an honest random chance. There's clearly something influencing drops.

On two consecutive kills of ancient croc, it dropped two of the same item from froglok summoner's loot table (2x Lens of Glowing Amber, then 2x Brazier of Elemental Summoning). I don't care to calculate the statistical odds of that, but if nothing was influencing the loot, it's got to be something like one in a trillion. Scientists draw conclusions from far less dramatic statistics than that. In short, it's absolutely not "just RNG." My guild is noticing this stuff all over the place. Barely half an hour goes by between people linking duplicate loot drops. It's happening constantly, and it's obvious that there's something seeding loot.
    Schteben and MasterMagnus like this.