So... Monks.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sundance, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMajestykx Augur

may be truth in that sir....but no dps class, with all due respect and apologies, is as FAR behind the curve as the monk class, as they have been for some time now.
  2. Thrillho Augur

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Yes, other classes need work. Personally, I know absolutely nothing about beastlords, aside from "Hey, can I get buff X please?" and "Oh, right, your pet can tank too." This thread is already on page 7, and it's been more or less just about issues with monks. If you'd like to start a thread for beastlords needing power, please do so. There are already other threads for other classes - SKs and chanters are two I've seen recently.

I don't think anyone is saying we, or any other class, need to match zerker output. These guys are currently broken (in a good way, I suppose), or the mobs in the current expansion aren't tuned properly. To be able to drop an end-game mob, albeit a trash one, more than 50% of its health every 60 seconds doesn't sound balanced. To have every class matched with that is going to make this expansion, and most likely the next, severely untuned.

There have been plenty of examples in this thread of monk attributes, nearly all of them being sub-par in relation to other classes.
  3. Gelido Lorekeeper

To the top! #MonkLivesMatter
  4. Dropfast Augur

While I agree with you Dwish that some other classes could use some love as well, no other class in the entire game is still using a level 63 Disc like we are. This thread is for monks and our vast problems with timers / discs.

Granted, Speed Disc is still a great Disc to this day but come on now, their is no reason that it couldn't get a small mod added to it like crit rate or whatever which should have been done like 8 years ago. It is the best Hundred Hands effect in game however since 3 other classes have those as adps buffs and we have our own procing version of it as well, it's become long outdated. It's also our fastest refresh DPS Disc so we need to open with it often to compete with other DPS classes. But that creates another problem.

For Exp: It's the start of a raid that takes 16 mins to beat and it's alright to open with a burn. So I open with speed but then a BST uses his HH ADPS, We then lose out big time because they don't stack. In this situation every single other melee dps benefits big time from the BST buff except us. If we don't open with Speed then we also lose out big time because their won't be enough time to use it a 2nd time. So were dammed if do and dammed if we don't. This is how a lot of the monk stuff is.

For many things we have to choose as well, like Offense or Defense because they share timers. For Exp: Shaded step and Eye of the Storm. Shaded is our version of a short deflection. Eye of the Storm is our only sustained DPS disc. If we choose to use Shaded step to possibly save our life, then we pay for it by not being able to use our sustained dps disc. And vice versa. If we use our DPS disc then we can't use shaded. This blows and as far as I know, no other class in the game has to deal with crap like that. It's easy to glance at the monk and be like "Hey, you got defense and offense!" but what they don't know is we have to choose one way or the other for the most part.

What use to be our best DPS disc is now our worst. Terrorpalm is total trash now after that patch that buffed the melee but also nerfed that disc all to hell. So while every other melee class in the game got a decent boost to damage, Monks lost one of our best burns. So really we didn't gain much at all. This is theme for monks for so long now. Somehow monks always seem to get screwed.

It's not a big deal but here's one more example. The Mana Infusion proc pots that came out in TDS, benefits every single melee dps class in the game EXCEPT for monks. They put that proc on the monks Infusion of Thunder line. So while we technically can still use the potion for a few mins but then the rest of the 40 mins or so left on the pot gets wasted because our Infusion of Thunder is more powerful and overwrites it. It's such crap. Everywhere ya look it's something like this. It gets really old fast >< .

We don't need a complete overhaul, we just need some timers moved around and a little love would make things a lot better.
    Ssdar, Gelido, Thrillho and 1 other person like this.
  5. segap Augur

Rogue primary burns:
    1) Twisted Chance - level 65
    2) Frenzied Stabbing - Level 70

Not to diminish the need for monk improvements, but you're not alone in using some ancient discs. Ours have scaled decently and have fairly good synergy with adps. Although TC has some overlap with Auspice, QT and the shaman epic.
    Sheex, Dropfast and Thrillho like this.
  6. Thrillho Augur

Speed Focus is so old it doesn't even come in ranks. For reference, here are some other old ones we still use:
    • Master's Aura, lvl 70 (no ranks)
    • Vigorous Shuriken, lvl 83 (Rank III in Underfoot raids)
    • Drunken Monkey Style, lvl 85 (Rank III in Underfoot raids)
    • Ironfist, lvl 88 (Rank III in House of Thule raids)
    • Crane Stance, lvl 93 (Rank III in Veil of Alaris raids)
    • Earthforce, lvl 96 (Rank III in Reign of Fear raids)
    • Eye of the Storm, lvl 98 (Rank III in Reign of Fear raids)
    • Terrorpalm, lvl 99 (Rank III in Reign of Fear raids)
    • Zalikor's Fang, lvl 99 (Rank III in Reign of Fear raids)
    • Heel of Zagali, lvl 100 (Rank III in Reign of Fear raids)
    • Nimble Reflexes, lvl 102 (Rank III in The Darkened Sea raids)
    To be honest, I'm not sure if Master's Aura is viable anymore. Have we hit the cap for dodge / riposte / parry mods? I just run this out of habit. And Nimble Reflexes has been broken since it was initiated, but it's still a nice thing to have on - absorb a hit if possible, and the buff stays on for a couple hours. Mind you, this can't be refreshed during raids since this defensive line is on the same line as one of our long-duration discs, Eye of the Storm.

Our bread & butter disc, Heel, hasn't been upgraded since RoF. So in order for you to be viable as a monk in raids, you need to get a raid force (group force, now) to go back to get you the Rk III. While you're there, pick up the other 4 discs also consistently used. We have a difficult enough time getting into (and staying in) raid forces. Now we need to collect all these older ones to stand a chance.

Crane Stance, our massive hit (I managed to land a series of 5 or 6, totalling 3.5 mil dmg!), hasn't been upgraded since we got it in VoA. Again, grab a raid force (group, now) and go get what you need to be viable.

Vigorous adds ~2k DPS and is meant to be used for pulling - damage increases the farther you are from a target. That's right - our DPS is so bad we've had to add a pulling ability to our mash key.

There are other classes in the same boat, I'm sure. I've been fortunate enough to raid with folks who have alts that also need some old spells / discs, or are just nice enough to run the old raids to help. I understand that it's not viable to upgrade each disc with each expansion. We do have AAs that upgrade the discs, and EoK did a huge upgrade to our main discs. It would be nice if you could downgrade between expansions to get these older discs. But really, lvl 63 is still an option?
    Dropfast and Gelido like this.
  7. Branntick Augur

My reasons for not playing Live since Phinigel have been exposed. Curses!
  8. Dropfast Augur

Wow yea, rouges need love too! I thought those discs were newer than that but I guess not. Seems so silly that end game players still have to use such old stuff. They may be good but their is still room for improvement for sure.

The funniest part of all this is the devs could adjust melee balance whenever they feel like it just by changing one number in the system. That innate damage buff they gave all the melee a while back could be turned up / down at any time to instantly change dps output. It's not a great fix and wouldn't solve all the other issues but it would work for now. As someone else stated here, monks were grouped with tanks I think it was instead of the other melee dps for whatever reason. That can very easily and quickly be changed. I thought that was one the main reasons they did that yet they have never been adjusted since their inception. It a very easy way for them to ajust class balance on the Fly until real problems can be addressed.
  9. Gelido Lorekeeper

#MonkLivesMatter
    MrMajestykx likes this.
  10. Gelido Lorekeeper

*Cough Cough* Bump!
  11. Medwin New Member

12. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I like to play BUMPer cars!
  13. Nedrom Augur

Hey guys what's going on in this thread?

Oh monk balance you say? I can go away and come back every 2 or 3 years and still play the same game without learning anything new due to our outrageous stagnation.

This is the same kinda thread that has been on and off since I started playing back when LoY was new.

It's EQ don't QQ just learn to play! More focus on learning your class and less forum whining IMO...
  14. Nedrom Augur

PS... hi wyccles
  15. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

This is exactly what my earlier post in this thread spoke of. This is the kind of attitude that gets nothing done for this class. You're just so leet Nedrom. Teach all the other Monks how to play! Maybe it's about time for one of your breaks you take every 2 or 3 years :D
    Quility likes this.
  16. gnomeboss Augur

yellow river dolphin
  17. Dropfast Augur

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more. If you think I don't know how to play my class then your sorely mistaken. Nor is anyone whining. We are stating cold hard facts. Your saying instead of fighting for some dearly needed upgrades, we should just shut up and say nothing. No, I don't think so.

It has been made painfully clear over the past years, that strategy doesn't work. If we don't tell them what we really need / want, then how will they ever know? You think next expansion they will just magically figure it out? Lol no, again I don't think so. Their is a big difference between making good suggestions and having proof of what your talking about, than just picking some random thing and demanding change because I said so. This is not one of those threads. This thread is for making good suggestions and hoping they listen.
  18. Chowa New Member

Hiya Ned!
  19. Monkman Augur

I came back last april so I never experienced the original thunderkick but Id like to see 2hb and 1h/h2h on a more even playing field, I know someone mentioned "stances" earlier on I could see 2h becoming more of a tank stance wep set with h2h/1h becoming our dps set up.
    dicho adjustment ?
    some type focused rejuvenation for discs (I know thats a long shot)
    crit % increased

just some ideas any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
    Dropfast likes this.
  20. valiantSeven Elder

Bards be like, "We raise you Thousand Blades Discipline, and the fact that it's literally the only discipline they have at all, period."
    Dropfast likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.