So... Monks.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sundance, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kravn Augur

Beastlords are in the same boat as Monks DPS wise...Even after their DoT revamp they are still bottom of the barrel. Thankfully their ADPS tools and utility are highly sought after.
    Xanathol and MrMajestykx like this.
  2. Triconix Augur

Well, time to drop my necro and make a bard to boost my sham's newly found leet deeps!

But seriously, I can't wait to log in today and watch my sham roflstomp my necro at his own game (DoTs).
  3. Lisard Silly

back to top!

Monks need help, Dont forget about us (again) Daybreak!
    Gelido likes this.
  4. Gelido Lorekeeper

#MonkLivesMatter
  5. Thrillho Augur

I've always tried to reason that the lack of upgrades for monks has been because it's such a unique class, in that we're able to survive a helluvalot more than most classes, yet still put out DPS. It's been difficult for the devs to give us an upgrade in either because of this. There was an argument to stagnate our survivability, given that tanks can't DPS as much as us. Why make us as suitable for tanking as them, when they can't put out the DPS we can? There was also an argument to stagnate our DPS, given that raw DPS can't survive as much as us (rogues, berserkers). Why match us with them, when we can tank better than they can?

The current state though seems to leave us confused. Our tanks are currently out-tanking us, as it should be, but they're also out-DPSing us. Grouping with an SK, everyone's favourite, has me falling up short in a 30 minute lesson burn. This is still the case after the nerf - their DPS is simply remarkable.

Our pure melee leaves us in the dust. I can't say I've grouped with a rogue much, but I've grouped with plenty of berserkers who just leave me wondering why I haven't rerolled as one yet. Duoing with one should be a good combo - I pull, tank, and DPS, while he just smashes them to pieces. But what I'm finding is that I can't hold the aggro, and they're constantly being the ones who tank - just as well as I'm able to. With the current upgrades to mercs, this is amplified even more.

And now with this latest upgrade, we're being out-DPSed by healers, something we have no capability of. A shaman guildmate of mine was telling me about how he was tanking a named in FM while hitting 200k in the parse. His healer merc was keeping him afloat. There's no reason I can think of that would make this a necessity. Out DPSed by tanks, other melee, and healers. What is the point of a monk?
    Quility likes this.
  6. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

It all stems from Monks having a traditional role of pulling that has pretty much completely vanished over the last decade. You guys used to *need* the sturdiness to survive getting things to the grp/raid, splitting, eating ae's, etc etc. Now those defensive abilities are just a remnant of a role that's borderline unnecessary based on the content we're given and the abilities other classes have. Worse, those defensives often serve as justification to keep you at the back of the bus compared to the other dps classes.

I guess the question for me is will pulling ever be a meaningful thing again, even just a little bit? If not, perhaps it's time for some kind of tradeoff system between going sturdy tank mode and going dps mode, similar to how tank proficiencies function (but not how they're implemented....ugh, I just threw up a little for even making the analogy =/). Then again, defensively ya'll aren't nearly as strong anymore either. Without some kind of system change, it seems like you guys are going to be stuck in this cycle of mediocrity, and every time dps gets discussed the dialogue is "But guys! 30s mend! Earthforce! Unfair!".

PS, buy me Bonestorm! :)
  7. Horyuken Augur

Sheex is correct as usual! I very much enjoy playing a monk, even if they really have no unique abilities anymore. (this can be said for pretty much every class) I don't understand why they can't look at the conflicting timers and make changes accordingly. Also whats with the swarm pet ability still being around? If not for some serious lobbying during beta the synergy would be tied to this. Very few people still even use this, I don't see how it made its way to becoming a level 105 Spell in EoK. That lone 105 spell could have been something new. I also still don't get why Crane Stance isn't more like decapitate, and not a parlor trick.

Anyway it looks like over the new year the devs will be looking at each class and making changes for better or worse, I guess it's best to wait till it's our turn.

P.S. Sheex we could both dust off our shammys and dominate raid dps!
    Sheex likes this.
  8. Thrillho Augur

You're absolutely right. It's a difficult situation to fix without revamping the whole class. Mend is such a unique ability. It lands so heavy on either side of a pro or con list.

Having stances could help, but then it nerfs our solo ability. Defensively we would be able to tank in a zone, but wouldn't be able to DPS something down fast enough. And nixing our DPS would just make us another DPS class - why have another in addition to rogue and berserker? It's such a fine line to walk.

You can have it. I've moved on to cup & ball.
  9. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

[IMG]
    Thrillho likes this.
  10. MrMajestykx Augur

11. Lisard Silly

to the top!

theres been some good ideas in here how to bring monks up to date....with shamans matching Zerkers and warriors dps.....please for the love of god Give monks a bone or three.
    Dropfast, MrMajestykx and Gelido like this.
  12. MrMajestykx Augur

I d take a half a bone right now or even a milk bone just something, talk about an oppressed class, but the deaf ears to our pleas are just too prevalent.

[IMG]
    Lisard and Dropfast like this.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Says the guy who still thinks that is Peanut Butter in his Kong!
    MrMajestykx likes this.
  14. Gelido Lorekeeper

Bump to the top for #MonkLivesMatter
    Lisard likes this.
  15. Lisard Silly

to the top!

#MakeMonksGreatAgain
    Gelido likes this.
  16. Ishtass Augur

Getting garbage for monks for years now has really made me lost interest in the game. I still log on regularly, still main a monk, but don't raid, don't do much in general. Sometimes I do old content for fun. Tired of the neglect and half- upgrades frankly. Wish someone would take it seriously.
  17. Lisard Silly

18. Muji Augur

Need a dev to go ahead sticky this thread.
    Dropfast and Lisard like this.
  19. Koryu Professional Roadkill

Monks are the Dual Wield Proficiency of melee classes. A little bit tanky, but there's better for doing that. A decent bit of DPS, but there's better for doing that, too. At no time is Monk a better choice than the other available options. While a middle-ground stance is disappointing, it is ultimately not a big deal because it's just a stance and you can switch to something else. However, Monk is an entire class afflicted with this problem and cannot simply switch. The only thing they're really good for is the Main Assist role on raids because they can drop aggro readily and keep themselves alive with Mend and the occasional Purify Body as needed.
  20. dwish Augur

You guys do realize it's not just monks that need a boost right? This thread could have literally been called "so.....every DPS class except Zerkers". All the DPS are so far behind Zerkers its ridiculous. Yes, monks could use a boost, but so could every other class in relation to Zerkers.

I would actually say that Beastlords are even in worse shape DPS wise then Monks. ADPS is not a valid reason anymore to stagnate DPS (see shamans), as every class in the game has some form of ADPS now in the form of synergies, some which are very good. Bards need a ton of love as well.

We now have tanks and healers (shamans) doing more DPS then the majority of the DPS classes. I think this is what they need to address. Boosting a single DPS class "just because" is not going to solve the issue for all the other classes out there that need a lot of positive tweaks as well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.