So... Monks.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sundance, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dropfast Augur

I'll post again soon with some more good ideas but hell, if they did even the first 5 things Lisard mentioned would be a great start. As well as moving the Step-Line of attacks to timer 13 or whatever one it is that has nothing on it currently would give us another spam attack as well. Eye of the storm should be moved to -1 for sure as well as it's our only sustained dps disc, it should NOT share a timer with defensive discs. So many things that could be done...
    Jhenna_BB and Ishtass like this.
  2. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

There's a few things you need to account for when making these requests as a Monk. You need to prepare your self for some of the stupid on this board that will come out in force. The stupid in regard to how people view Monks is so bad it burns - and how Monks argue with each other burns even worse.

The general consensus is that Monks aren't a pure melee class by many - which is absolutely the most asinine thing I read on these boards every so often. What else do you do on raids but whack mobs with your 2Hander? You haven't pulled by and large for a raid force since...PoP? There is a total resentment (not from me by the way) to the fact that you can cure effects and heal yourself. You can feign death that's so much utility! This all makes you a Hybrid! Oh wait, where's your blue mana bar? And oh, isn't a Beastlord a Hybrid of a Monk and Shaman? It doesn't matter. The fools on this board still will argue this ridiculous point, over and over.

Your class hasn't had a Community Round Table member in a long time. Yes, these players still have the ear of the Devs. Monks have been so frustrating to play since RoF so many of the long time fixtures have quit or main changed. Moreover, you can only deal with so much of the in fighting between Monks and what you have coming in from all angles from the ignorance and total lack of knowledge by other classes of how Monks work. Let's not ever account for the fact that Monks are hurt so bad by the fact that a level 10 Warriors crits as much as you. I'm exaggerating that last point but you get the idea.

The fact that the Devs don't actively play this game seems to hurt your class the worst out of all classes. What you can do that isn't doing damage on a raid is really nice to have, don't get me wrong. Getting people to be in harmony with all that is going to be your most difficult task - you need sustained help and in a big way. I wish you luck. I miss Monks. I feel like you're in for more frustration than it's worth. People ignore all facts with Monks, it's enraging.
    Kanuvan, Gelido, gnomeboss and 3 others like this.
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I forgot one of my favorite things about Monks. They're the only pure melee to not have a decap or assassinate type ability. That's too overpowered, Monks can't have that! But! Ranger's can have Headshot why? Because screw you that why!
    Ishtass likes this.
  4. Qulas Augur

Your post is pretty spot on, except for one tiny little thing. Monks actually do have a CRT rep (me). I am not sure if the forums mark who the CRT's are anymore so it can be hard to tell who is actually in the program.

Monks, more than any other class that I can tell, consistently argue about what the state of the class is, and what could help the class become better. It's due to this constant back and forth between the classes that, in my opinion, we get left in the dust when it comes to new abilities, and dps improvements.

As far as balance goes, it's my opinion that monks are the absolute worst class in the game right now, and there is not a close second. With these changes to Druid and Shaman dots, monks will now be pushed down the even further down the "Potential DPS Chart" behind both of those classes, which to me is insane.
    Quility, Gelido, Ishtass and 3 others like this.
  5. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I really didn't know you were CRT Qulas, very cool. You're one of the few long time Monks left! :)
  6. Bigstomp Augur

Monks could for sure use a little loving on the dps front. I think they're in good shape otherwise (survivability and such)
  7. MrMajestykx Augur

8/25/99
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. Muji Augur

Actually monks were the first to have a skill that had a chance to kill a mob outright. Then they took it away and then proceeded to give it to every other class. I want to say it was called ashenhand maybe.
  9. segap Augur

Assassinate was given during Kunark. I believe, but could be wrong, about the same time the original melee disciplines were introduced late in the expansion. Well before Zerkers even existed and well before headshot. Rogues were not a copy cat ability.
  10. Minato Augur

Devs are acting like Oprah handing out dps to everyone but monks... thats classist
  11. Password1234 Augur

Ashenhand was a gimmick discipline for level 60. It augmented 1 (one) Eagle Strike to do 32k(?) damage to a humanoid mob up to level 46 (maybe even lower than that?). So you could one-shot a low level mob that gave no experience if it was humanoid, and even if you missed (lol) you couldn't use any discipline afterward for over an hour. It's sole purpose was getting a screenshot of you murdering a_desert_madman_01 in North Ro for your signature on message boards.
    Ishtass likes this.
  12. Tevik Augur

Don't worry, bards aren't getting any either. We'll totally sit on the bleachers with you guys and watch the fun.
  13. Maedhros High King

It seems like nearly every class has been the flavor of the month a handful of times, some a few handfuls, but monks consistently get kicked to the side.
    Monks could certainly use their own version of Disconcerting and Sapping strikes that Berserkers got this expansion.
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  14. Skvoid Elder

I love my monk he was my first alt back in 2001. However I cry a little when I play him in my box setup his sustained is a joke, it's about 35 40k and his burn isn't much better at around 120 130k, that's with a bard in my box setup too. My newly minted zerker only 4 months old sustains 130 140k dps pretty easy and burns upwards of 400k and has hit 748k dps on his best burn, my zerker has EoK group gear as does my monk, however my monk has some TBM raid weapons (one handers). Now I admit I don't know all the tricks for burning or sustaining on my monk but that's the same for my zerker too.
    I feel like monk DPS is a lot of work to get mediocre results while my Zerker is a joke to get stupid numbers out of.
    Monks actually feel really clunky to me, lots of strange cooldown times, Dicho on 5 minutes sucks do I use it all the time or save it for named etc, whereas zerker it's easy to decide when to use things.
    I really feel like monks need some love :(
    Metanis likes this.
  15. MrMajestykx Augur

ummm like what kind of gear is your "monk" carrying?? 40k on sustained are you awake while doing that? how long? and a "burn" for just 140?? sorry friend some numbers pls , monks in general are not THAT bad. thats like bad. something is seriously remiss here.
    Sancus likes this.
  16. fransisco Augur

Everyone needs some love compared to zerkers (Who actually need nerfs).
    I tried playing a monk once, but have to admit, I just got bored. I only made it to the 60s though. Do they change at higher lvls?
  17. Skvoid Elder

I dunno I have hotkey ability spam key and use dicho on cooldown as well as whistle eye and the ability that improves your tiger claws as they refresh too. I can't remember the order the abilities on the spam key are in but they include FK, Tiger Claw, Pets thing, Banestrike, Shuriken, Synergy, stunning kick etc and I spam them, hes mostly in EoK group gear with raid TBM weapon main hand and EoK group gear off hand. Burn is something like this Epic 2.0, Ironfist Disc, Class BP, 2nd spire, Infusion of Thunder,Dragon's Balance, Crane Stance,Five Point Palm Once the BP clicky nuke gone click off Ironfist and use Heel of Zagali disc if mob is still alive I use Terrorpalm into speedfocus into eye of the storm.
    Not sure how bad that setup is? I would love to know what to do keep up sustained and improve burn over what I am doing so am open to instruction!
  18. Gelido Lorekeeper

Why are you not using a 2Hander?

T2 - Kor-Sha Labs i forget the named that drops it, but go get that 2 hander. It's in tunnels of Kor.
  19. Skvoid Elder

EoK group 2hander is better than Raid TBM one hander? I thought the parse consensus was h2h wasn't significantly different than 2hb assuming same amount of AAs in each?
  20. Gelido Lorekeeper

EoK has rather large Procs on the 2 handers. Before i was lucky enough to get Crush ( Chase item ) I had the 2 Hander in Kor-Sha, dps was significantly better than TBM raid h2h or TBM Shattering Maw ( 2hander from Emo )
    Personally i feel 2 Handers = our best dps as monks ( that and knowing what goes with what )
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.