So how do yoy box?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hazimil, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Hazimil Lorekeeper

After the recent issues with VMWare causing accounts to be banned, and the fact that a CSR has advised me not to use WinEQ2 and [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], I was advised by the same CSR to ask in the forums for support...

So what would people recommend is a good way to box 2 accounts on a Windows 7 (8GB) PC? Preferable at different screen resolutions, as I have 2 monitors.

Thanks.

Haz!
  2. Nocomplaints Elder

Pick two chars that could box relatively easily. Pick camp you don't have to constantly move both chars.

I use shm and ranger.pull into camp tab other screen slow heal dot and HoT. Mae AT when something is wearing off recast.
  3. Tilluan Wolvenblood New Member

I guess it is a technical question, so here my idea: if you would like to setup 2 resolutions I would install EQ twice in different locations on your harddisc. So you could setup your individual screen resoluation for each account. You do not need any 3rd party tool to box- technically I do 3box on one Windows7 PC with 4 GB RAM. With alt-tab I switch between the screens. With 2 monitors that is far easier as you don't need to switch.
  4. Braveheart Augur

Melee:

Line1: /pause 13, /Target Tank_Name
    Line2: /pause 43, /follow
    Line3: /pause 13, /assist Main
    Line4: /pause 13, /disc Special out of combat attack
    Line5: /pause 13, /attack

SOE should add stick attack like other games. I know several that will cause you to run automatic to a mob when you hit attack. If this feature were added poeple might box and sub's would go up.

Casters:
    Line1: /pause 12, /assist Main
    Line2: /pause 43, /cast 1
    Line3: /pause 43, /cast 2
    Line4: /pause 43, /cast 3
    Line4: /pause 43, /cast 4

*Note keybind pet attack to same hotkey as your assist key so pet will assist.
  5. Cone head Augur

No need to install EQ more than 1 time. I run 4 accounts off the same install with out issue.

Read up on how to set up and use your extended target window.
    Read up on setting up macros with pauses to allow for refresh.

Grind your leader AA to open up more options while boxing.
    I recommend at the least.

Inspect Buff 1 and HoTT, HoTT is essential for Pet Tanking.

I box the following.

Main system is a 100 Bard. This I my low end system but it gets the most use as I pull with the Bard.

Second system runs the boxes.

100 Mage, 100 Shmmy, 100 Necro and 92 Mage. Yup, two mages. It was a toss up between another Mage or a Wizzy and with my play style I benefit more with a Mage.

An example of my Mage and shammy macro set up. Look close and you will see why.

Mage.

1. /pause 1,/x 1
    2. /pause 3,/pet attack
    3. /pause 24,/alt activate <malo aa>
    4. empty
    5. /g Pet on >> %t <<

Shammy

1. /pause 6,/x 1
    2. /pause 28,/cast 1 (This is my counter bias)
    3. /pause 3,/pet attack
    4. empty
    5. /g Pet on >> %t <<

If you look close at how I have my pauses set; this will always insure Malo lands before counter bias. My Necro Snare AA lands just after as well.

Line 5 for all my macros is a /g. This way I know when the macros are done. All macros across all toons have pauses in such a way they will all finish with in 2 seconds of each other.

Have your assist macros across all boxes on the same Hot Key. On my set up all assist macros are on Hot key 1 and 4 spell macros are on hot key 2, Fast 1 spell macros on hot key 3.
  6. Cone head Augur

Also note, that the Pet that will tank gets sent in before any spells land.
    The rest of the pets get sent in after spells land. This insures my Earth pet has agro.

I also have /taunt off for the other pets but /taunt on for the earth pet.

All accounts are up to date with RoF and get subbed at least 1 time a year.

I hope to see a 2x exp weekend on the 16th as all 5 accounts are getting subbed come next Monday.
  7. Ronak Augur

I run SK, Ranger, Shaman on one laptop. I switch back and forth by physically clicking the EQ icon on the taskbar. Yes, I'm a martian.
    Tegila, Sinestra and Explicit like this.
  8. Explicit Augur

I play exactly the same way, but with a bard and wizard. Sometimes the old way is simply the best way
  9. Feradach Augur

How do I box? Fire up multiple copies of EQ in window mode and alt+tab. No need for any third party utilities.
  10. TheQxx Augur

Off raids, I play 3 characters. (WAR, NEC, SHM and sometimes ENC) I run all 3 or 4 in windowed mode but full screen and just alt+tab/alt+tab+tab between them. It's easiest way.

Pretty much everything is manual. The only multi-function button I have is for my Necro and Shaman which is a /pet attack, cast spell gem 1, /hidecorpse all which is just tied to alt+1. Everything else I do on them or my warrior is how I would do it if I was just playing that character by itself.

I never understood people who box and tile each screen so they can see each character. I don't see a need for that. Same goes for setting up hot buttons with casts and pauses and all types of commands. It seems easy/automated but it actually gives you less control over your character(s) while all that business is running.
  11. Shang Augur

Same as Quarken. Try and tie buttons that one character would frequently hit, and make that button close to/the same button your other characters hit.

One hand hovers around alt/tab. The other hovers around the number pad/mouse.
  12. TheQxx Augur

All my casters seem to use the left side of the keyboard for their business and my warrior is all on the right side of the keyboard, which I think takes some getting used to. This is mainly because I've always used arrows, number pad and the 6-keys (Insert, Home, etc...) to control my warrior and when I started playing casters along with him, I just kept with the default setup. So when I'm boxing, my left hand is going back and forth to each side of the keyboard and my right hand just stays on the mouse.
  13. Mintalie Augur

Uh, what's wrong with WinEQ suddenly?
  14. CrazyLarth Augur

well I down loaded EQ on one PC into a custom area and then copied that folder to two other custom folders.

i use alt-tab

Keys to effective boxing:
    1.) Identical UI layout on all toons.
    as much as possilbe
    make the important hotkeys the same # on each box.
    For example, my nuke macro , heal macro, send pet in on is same keys and same locs all boxes that have that ablitlies .

2.) Memorization of all hotkeys.
    3.) Limited use of mouse.

You toon selection is relevant. Some classes and class combinations are easier to box than others. For instance, I will never box more than 1 melee toon. They have to move with the mob, in order to function. That means if the mob moves, you have to continually adjust each melee to compensate, which would take away from your focus on ability activation.
  15. TheQxx Augur

Ya boxing multiple melees is annoying. I stick with 1 melee (tank) and the rest are casters.
  16. The real Sandaormo Augur

Here's how I box, I have my War and my Monk in Windowed mode on my main computer. To move between toons I hit the little tab at the bottom with my cursor. I have never like alt - tab. I have my Bard on a second computer.

Pull with Monk, pop over to War ( 2 buttons to set agro ), Hit space bar on other computer to set Bards assist on War ( Bard has aura going and /melody going ) , pop over to Monk and dps ect. easy.

Hardest part about boxing is STUPID /AUTOFOLLOW !!!!
  17. Ronak Augur

Amen. Auto-follow invariably puts my characters off cliffs, under water, and into piles of see invis mobs. Usually all at the same time.
  18. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Nothing. Some CSR that obviously has no idea what it is, or what VMWare is spewed some misinformation to someone.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. Kurayami Augur

Yea, better not be anything wrong with WinEQ, no way I'm going back to the lag that comes with alt tabbing again.
  20. Explicit Augur

Set background FPS to 25-30, more if your CPU can handle it. Set foreground FPS to 60 since unlimited is kinda pointless with EQ.

Autofollow with boxed toons runs off your background fps, the higher that is the more likely your box will actually follow you. I have no problems at all and usually use 24 background FPS with 3 toons running (0 background fps on my main box)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.