So, How do I gain a Silver Membership?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Duke5150, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Duke5150 New Member

I've been enjoying the free to play version, and a guildmate told me that he paid five bucks to become a silver member. I started looking around at what silver memberships offered, and the increased AAs (though I barely understand them) and better mercs got me interested. Having two additional characters, for a total of four, would be very nice.

But, I've been unable to find out how to become a silver member. Instead, I've discovered mixed information, none of it helpful, about how silver memberships are no longer offered, cannot be gained and that I must pay the monthly fee and become a gold member. I started playing this game because it's free. I'm willing to pay a one time fee to gain some extra (permanent) benefits. I'm unwilling and unable to pay monthly subscription fees for every online game I want to play.

I do not plan to buy the latest expansion any time soon. I just started and that forty dollars is better spent elsewhere until I have experienced the rest of the expansions and am ready for the new stuff.

I would really appreciate some feedback from someone who has actually become a silver member "recently". I've read enough speculation. I am looking for facts (as detailed as possible) on how to become a permanent silver member. And again, before anyone tries to sell me a monthly subscription, I cannot afford it. I have bills and my bills have bills.

Thank you for any and all helpful replies. (please no redirects to website links that will require me to come back here, again, and ask even more questions to explain/clarify/confirm what those websites detail. Thanks)

[edit] If subscribing for a month (gold all access) is a method, then I do not want to do that. I will be paying for content/benefits that I will not get to enjoy, as I am low level and will not be able to grind AAs or enjoy super mercs, as I play with guild mates. I will also be paying for content that will get locked after 30 days, and the majority of that locked content will be content I never even experienced. The gold content will be wasted on me, and the silver content will be overpriced due to having to pay for a gold membership. I'm looking for silver membership content, only. Not gold. Thanks.
  2. Riou EQResource

You cant get silver anymore
    Sagarmatha likes this.
  3. Dibab Augur

actually if you create a free to play account, upgrade it to gold and let that lapse i have had account be flagged as " silver"
  4. Szilent Augur

When, Dibab? That doesn't match what Sony has told us for the last several months is supposed to happen.
  5. Duke5150 New Member

That's a real shame. I'm sure there are plenty of new players, like myself, who are looking to buy a silver membership. They're losing money. Five dollars isn't much until you consider how many people would be willing to buy one. A silver membership is a foot in the door. Eventually, the next step might be a little station cash to buy a few things from the marketplace. Instead, new players who have no desire to purchase a gold membership, even for a month, will get discouraged and move on to something else.

That's not for me. I do not want to "overpay" for a silver membership. I won't even get to enjoy the gold content. Unlimited AAs and stuff like that does me no good, because I'm too low a level to even use it. Also, when it expires, all that extra gold goodness gets locked, which in a way, spoils the gaming experience.

I guess I'll just enjoy the ftp content until I get a new game to play. If SoE doesn't want my money, I'm sure someone else will. Thanks for the replies.
  6. Crystilla Augur

Curious here - what exactly do you want with a silver membership at this time? I ask because many items are individually purchasable in the marketplace. So you can do things piecemeal for a while.

Character slots and increased AA's are two things you can buy directly from the marketplace in the amount you need.
  7. Ratbo Peep Augur

The greatest value of the Silver Membership is access to the general chat channel.
    Cutting new players off from the greater community was a very bad anti-retention move on SOE's part!!
    Secondly - Silver members (as I recall) can use a higher grade of Apprentice Merc.
    -Rat

PS to Dibab - When exactly did this work for you??
    guado and Borek-VS like this.
  8. Ratbo Peep Augur

Forget about the Gold part at all.
    $15 is by no means "overpaying" for a one-time fee for a Silver Account.
    It was was "underpriced" at $5 when they took it off the market. They should have just upped the price.
    IF the going gold for a month thing still works (dubious) - it's still worth it.
    You can enjoy "free to play" content all the way to level 100 and the Rain of Fear expansion either way. (Silver just makes the going a little smoother.)
    When you get to 100 - going gold for a moth will get you thousands of free auto-granted AA that you get to keep when reverting back. That alone is worth it.

-Rat
    code-zero likes this.
  9. Poppinfresh Elder

Unless you're grandfathered in, the silver ship has sailed.

During the holidays, I subbed one of my free accounts that was created about four months ago. Once that account's 30 days of All Access was up, it reverted to free, not silver.
  10. CrazyLarth Augur

I dont know about how it is now but if buying gold access is not going back to silver send them this info that they said it should?.

The Revised SOE ALL ACCESS PROGRAM FAQ!
    https://forums.station.sony.com/soe...vised-soe-all-access-program-faq.11500063040/

Q: I am a Silver member in EQ or EQII. What happens to my membership?
    A: When SOE All Access goes live, we will no longer sell Silver memberships in EQ or EQII. Existing Silver memberships will be grandfathered in under the new program, and can still upgrade to SOE All Access at any time. If you subsequently discontinue All Access, you will revert to the privileges granted by the Silver membership.

TOKENS for gold access far as I know might be the issue might return to FREE to PLAY?.
    Hawklight Yandli likes this.
  11. Crystilla Augur

It specifically says grandfathered accounts (aka as of the moment all access went live). So any new accounts after that date won't ever have silver.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Brohg like this.
  12. Brohg Augur

That was posted by SOE_Brasse, Jan 23, 2014. The situation has since changed. For a while it did work for all lapsing subscribers I think, but no more.
  13. Ratbo Peep Augur

Best way to get a Silver Account now is to "borrow" one from one of your 100 friends that are quitting over all the "strange" behavior of late. Some will want to hang onto old accounts in case the "situations improve", others will have gone and never looking back.
    -R
  14. kiethann New Member

Since everyone is at it, I would like to ask the find out what do this mean ?

Existing Silver memberships will be grandfathered in under the new program, and can still upgrade to SOE All Access at any time. If you subsequently discontinue All Access, you will revert to the privileges granted by the Silver membership.

From this statement, silver membership in this case, apply to the individual game or the SOE account ?
    TBH, it will be very appropriate for the DEV to clarify this.
  15. Demascuss Journeyman

My advice, given your circumstances:

1) Enjoy FtP - you can level easily enough up to 70/75 without AAs. At this point, grouping happens a bit more making life better.

2) Keep leveling to about 80/85 via FtP.

3) At this point, pay for one month of All Access, get the auto grant AA feature, and spend the next little bit leveling to 90 where the free AAs stop. You should have no problems getting those 5 levels in a month.

4) Now you can spend the remainder of your All Access time leveling an working on whatever AAs you deem worthy. If you have enough time after hitting 90, I'd say push hard for 95 and then focus on getting your AAs so when All Access drops, you have all your AAs up to 95. That should make leveling to 100, and the level 100 content much smoother than having your last AAs be in the 90s.
  16. Hawklight Yandli Elder

a while a go I upgraded my wife's account to silver account by purchasing her a 500 store Item. I do not think this is available anymore, based on the above quoted FAQ.

I have not seen an access matrix in a while.
  17. Geroblue Augur

The gold account which doesn't exist anymore either, it is all access , had to be created several years ago. If that one went to unpaid it became silver.

Newer all access accounts going unpaid goes to free to play.
  18. Pulgrey Elder

Skip McDonalds once a month and go all access, or spend some time farming and buy kronos. It isn't all that hard..... Heck ya spend more on gas to get TO McDonalds......
    Sagarmatha likes this.
  19. Drogane Journeyman

I don't know why it worked but I created an FTP account on January 2nd and lvled it up to 90, used a krono to get all the autogrant AA's. The account just dropped off all access and it is now a shiny silver account. The account was created just 35 days ago so its still possible to get a silver account, just have to go all access for one month, you get 500sc out of the deal as well and you can get some autogranted aa's during my month I lvled the account to 100 and got another 700ish aa's on top of the 5000ish that were autogranted. Not a bad deal for the cost of a krono.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I am betting that is a Kronor bug. They likely did not remember to remove the grant silver access when a F2P account just clicks it.