So how come monks never got an insta kill?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Pikollo, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Pikollo Augur

Just as some background I played EQ from beta to VoA so I missed the past 10? years of class balancing, class leads in beta etc. I came back when Selo released and we are currently in TDS.

I know back in the day monks were trying to get an insta kill on par with Rogues/Rangers (And now zerkers) and were always told no because we can do things other classes couldn't. We were "tanky", could FD, mend and still do good dps. In SoF(?) the tanky was basically taken away. Nowadays everyone can FD in some way (maybe not as efficient), and compared to the other melee classes (that I've seen) we are on par with DPS. Meanwhile everyone else seems to have caught up with what monks can do and then some. Gaining new abilities, insta killing (basically) lower tier zones and everyone seems to be getting other classes abilities (Mages have IVU lol). To be honest from VoA to TDS there hasn't been anything new or exciting for the class. Its pretty much the same thing.

So with all that being said and understanding that the other 2 pure melee (and a hybrid) have one, how come monks never got one? This is purely curiosity as I know we won't get one.
  2. Waitwhat Elder

Some kind of ae capable (1000 fists) chi powered heart stop ability would be in character and very cool. Mobs get the stunned animation and then drop. :D
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

AE?
    That would be asking for way too much, none of the others are AE.

The mythological "Dim Mak" or Touch of Death was a series of single target strikes at vital pressure points which could kill a target if successfully executed, it's not a real technique or anything more from cultural fantasy stories about the Martial Arts. Something like that might add a little flavour.
  4. Szilent Augur

... that's Curse of Thirteen Fingers / Fourteen Fists. touchtouchtouchtouchtouch…touchtouchBOOM
    Duder likes this.
  5. Mr Blue Sky Elder

The five point palm exploding heart technique :cool:

Maybe a huge agro thing which turns the mob to attack the monk. Then after 5 seconds? (kill bill it was 5 steps) the mob drops dead.
  6. Szilent Augur

Yep, Curse of 13fingers/14fists had to have its agro explicitly nerfed a lil while ago because it was SO huge
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Nice thought. It won't happen. They would have to re-balance every other class against it. Be glad they haven't taken your DPS away too. :(
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Five point palm exploding heart was created for the Kill Bill movie. Dim Mak is much older.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Depends, assassinate & headshot are humanoid only & much higher damage than Berserker Decapitate which doesn't have the body-type restriction.

I could see a Monk technique having a humanoid body type restriction too, if they introduce it then they would need to do so for a new expansion, then all the other abilities could be adjusted before ever going live so that it stays in balance.
  10. Lisard Silly

just put our thunderfoot back to procing on every flying kick instead of every press of flying kick button.
  11. Pikollo Augur

Not sure why they'd have to rebalance. From where we are on Selo atm (TDS) equally geared monks/rogues/berserkers all seem to be on par with each other DPS and skill wise. If its a lower level boss then rogues/rangers shoot to the top of the parse. With that said I don't know how current content is so maybe it would need to be balanced.
  12. kyong Augur

What ever happened to this? I can't even remember. They changed it sometime in the distant past. I don't even recall if it ever killed something outright but honestly time to bring it back!!

Also echoing what Lisard said! Why was this changed a few years back. Thunderfoot should proc on every flying kick, button press, riposte, etc!

~Level 59: Ashen Hand~
    When this discipline is activated, the next Eagle Strike will do a surprising amount of damage, and under certain circumstances may have a chance to kill the target outright. The base reuse time for this discipline is 72 minutes.
  13. Sabrefist- Journeyman

I'd be happy to see some form of AoE for monks outside of Destructive Force, which is equivalent to zerker Furious Rampage. They also get Rampage, in essence a second Furious Rampage.

Something akin to Assassinate, some kind of AoE, Thunderfoot proccing on all kicks. One or a combination of those would be cool.

Or just like triple our DPS like you did with necros, I'd be fine with that as well.
  14. Pikollo Augur

I've always said an exploding heart technique would be awesome. But since it has to fire off something (Like backstab and archery) I'm not sure what attack you could use with it. Maybe a lower level strike so we'd have to take tail rake off autoskill and put the other on when we fight a mob of the appropriate level.

I personally think adding this wouldn't make a difference to what zerker/rogue can do but like I said I don't know the current content game so maybe thats why it was never added.

As for necros. I'm happy for em. If anyone does more DPS it makes your raids easier. Jealous? Ya a bit. The gap is insanely huge. Happy for em nonetheless. I hope they don't get nerfed. Rather focus on my own class.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I mean, since we're pie-in-the-sky anyway....can just rework Resonant Kicks AA such that 'Exploding Heart' technique procs instead when using Flying Kick?
  16. Cicelee Augur

Forgive my ignorance, it has been a long time since I played my monk....

Flying kick is /auto now. You are saying that Thunderfoot no longer procs off of /auto flying kick? And that the only way to fire Thunderfoot is to physically press a flying kick hotkey?
  17. Pikollo Augur

I think putting it on flying kick would be pretty OP with the heel line of disc. I don't know if rogues get a backstab disc like that.
  18. Lisard Silly

Before the nerfs to it, Thunderfoot could proc off each flying kick in a combat round. you press flying kick it flying kicked the mob + x amount of Master Wu additional Flying Kicks. same for Crane Stance. it could proc on each hit.

Now Thunderfoot only has a 30% chance to proc on the Press/Usage of Flying Kick Button and 25% chance to twincast

Thunderfoot XIV = 3450 point base damage flying kick

at max level max aa monk with Heel of Zagali rk3 (max raid gear 2741Hdex - no tribute or raid buffs) - thunderfoot on average hits for 150k-180k ball park with max of 221370 lucky critical

decapitation = 220k upwards of 400k dmg (1.5% chance to proc off auto attack, Frenzy and throw abilities)

headshot = 260k base upwards of 800k damage via lucky criticals(level capped below you, /autofire)

Assassination = 130k on the low end upwards and over of 1 million dmg via lucky critcals (locked behind humanoid mobs)
  19. Pikollo Augur

Basically we can do a little more then half of the other classes with a disc up. The exception being that disc can be hit on anything without a level restriction. I'd say split the difference and give us a 240k hit with 600k crits. Making the original's still the best but giving us something.
  20. Pikollo Augur

We had a rogue crit for 7.1 million so. That 1 million damage is a little low lol.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.