So Holly left to join Blizzard and WoW Classic?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Creedmonk, Apr 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aegir Augur

I think it's highly debateable wether Holly was the TLP Pioneer.

In 2006, where the first TLP launched, she was 'just' a game designer/. lead designer.

It could have a been dozens of people. Heck, it could even have been Smed.

If she jumped to Blizzard in the 00's I would've said, congrats on joining one of the most solid game developers out there. Blizzard, in it's current state.... not so much.
  2. Xeris Augur

Would you rather be working at Blizzard or Daybreak? At least in terms of career path, longevity, etc... Blizzard is a better choice. It's arguably one of the biggest game studios in the world. For the most part, you'd be dumb to pass up an opportunity to lead a project there. Again, I don't see how her ending up at Blizzard makes the situation more bleak than not?

You could argue that it makes her departure less bleak. If Blizz comes with a big pay raise and the chance to build the future of WOW TLP, very few people would turn that down. If she left Daybreak to work at a similar mid-level game publisher, then I'd be much more concerned about her departure.
  3. That0neguy Augur

When people leave on their own they usually trade up jobs, not down.
    Falconii likes this.
  4. Creedmonk Augur

If this had all taken place prior to Blizzard releasing WoW Classic, I may have a different opinion on the matter but as it stands, Blizzard already developed and released their TLP is their vision so her jumping ship to go there, to me, means more than meets the eye.
  5. That0neguy Augur

This would be true if it had happened on any other regular Tuesday. But when DBG has been actively shrinking and 2 weeks after a major change to how the studio's are organized, then it means something a little bit different.
    Creedmonk and Herf like this.
  6. Febb Augur

I would be willing to step down to a lower position for more money. And she probably didn't want the responsibility anymore of leading. Who knows what her intentions were.
    Nolrog likes this.
  7. Runes Augur

I think you are reading way too deep into it. Look at how many Developers have bought and sold EQ & EQ2 and the related games. It is not easy to survive company buy outs over and over and she has done better than most to keep her job with each new purchase. She is old compared to most of her competition that will do her job for far less money so it makes sense that she jumped at a chance for job security with Blizzard, who will not be bought and sold anytime soon and be part of a steady and secure franchise.

Even if it was not a raise, the job security she gets is the real prize and very understandable as if she was ever laid off, she would most likely not get hired by any new startup Dev as they would not be able to afford her.

Interesting if Blizzard had not hired her if Pantheon Devs may have reached out to her as a backup, especially with Brad's passing.
  8. Angered Augur

Well wow players will be getting the following.

1. Exp Pots
    Clarify One exp pot will fill your entire level with rested. The others will be 50%-500% Bonus exp
    2. Buff Pots HP , Regen . Mana regen . movement speed , attack speed etc etc.
    3. Purchasable mounts at level 1
    4. 30-50 Slot bags
    5. Do you love cosmetics? Gotta buy the premium character upgrade to gain access to the shop.
    6. Countless cosmetics from armor to illusions you name it will make it so you can buy it!
  9. Machen New Member

I'd be more apt to buy this if they had brought in someone from the outside or had someone with more managerial experience than JChan now running things.
  10. forum troll Elder

A sinking ship? who cares anymore, I once did but now only play to interact with a few friends, They shut the servers down? EQ will still be around heck I can name multiple ways which I wont but we all know one example is p99 - I'll let you consider the options from there

Bottom line is Daybreak, Darkpaw, has screwed me out of more money and they just keep milking - from the indoor mount they allowed to stay that way until people spent thousands trying to get this unique item - only to nerf it later and say it was a mistake - to Present day and the latest overseer change, If the 2 accounts I actually log into weren't lifetime subs from years ago …

Anyways if you love EQ there will always be a way to play it - I know starting over can hurt but if the success of TLPs shows us anything sometimes that can be exciting

gg
  11. Vicus Augur

Well that is one way to spin it.
  12. Vicus Augur

Wow has basically announced TBC classic server. They are going to release TBC-MoP most likely. This will fill in their voids they have on their off years. Release expansion, next year release a classic server, year after release an expansion. Once the classic servers have run their course, I bet WoW live will be close to done also and WoW 2 will be announced (6-7 years from now). WoW 2 on VR, calling it now.
  13. Nolrog Augur

And the WoW fanbois will claim that Blizzard pioneered the idea of a classic / TLP type server.
  14. Vicus Augur

Yeah, WoW is amazing at doing things a better way then everyone else actually created (in most cases). TLP's are for sure an EQ thing. I am sure the TLP thing was useful on Holly's resume but I highly doubt shes going their acting like she knows it all because drastic difference with dealing with a company that actually has guidelines, deadlines, and requirements then what she was use to with DBG's.
  15. dreamweaver Community Manager

I am going to lock this thread before you start attacking each other.
    Kittany likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.